Some Progress Being Made | SouthernPaddler.com

Some Progress Being Made

We're getting there, slowly but surely. The last couple of days has been a good bit of work but not much visible progress...I rounded over the edges of the ribs and sanded them a little, then routed some notches in the bottom so water doesn't pool in the bottom sections between ribs.
L1000564.jpg

We also got the ends cut and pre-drilled holes in the ribs, stems, and sides where everything gets screwed together. Somehow the long dimension of the sides ended up at 16 feet, 4 1/2 inches...I guess okoume sheets are longer than 8 feet.
L1000563.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow we'll get the stems & ribs screwed into place...then I'm going to be shut down for awhile figuring out how to fabricate rubrails that are long enough for this boat.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
DON'T Put the ribs in without at lease one of the railings on the sides. Unless you have three or four people to help you pick the boat up.

If you DON'T have one of the rub rails on then when you pick it up the boat ( sides) will flex and next thing that you will have are broken ribs. The boats.

Chuck.
The railing helps to strengthen the sides and keeps them from flexing.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey Taw It looks good! Did you ever find that door stop for rub rails? You can scarf or butt joint any type of rub rail together to get the length you need. Chuck's warning is sure to be heeded, especially after you releaved the ribs like you did. I get why you did it and it should work but I can't help but think you compromised the structural intergrity of the ribs slightly in doing so. Maybe I'm wrong but there are only three of them for a 16 +' boat so you need all the strength you can get from them.
I hope your having fun, I sure am!

Chad

I intended to install the ribs and stems and leave the boat sitting on sawhorses (I have a ladder across the sawhorses, so most of the bottom of the boat would be supported). Can I leave it sitting like that without the outer rubrails in place? I understand the issue of flipping the boat over without rubrails, but I don't plan on moving anything...in fact the bottom isn't stained or 'glassed together yet.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Bilgerat said:
I only see two beer bottles on the floor - not nearly enough for a project like this.
Friend Mike,

Ya gotta keen eye. That shop looks like Chad's. 8) It dont look like Mick's. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotisms. Aristotle

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
That should work great Taw! It's just flippin her over that you can run into trouble.

Yeah bear, my wife still want's to put her car back in the garage! soon my dear, soon! :lol: That's what I keep telling her anyway!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
taw1126 said:
Can I leave it sitting like that without the outer rubrails in place? I understand the issue of flipping the boat over without rubrails, but I don't plan on moving anything...in fact the bottom isn't stained or 'glassed together yet.

As long as the boat is in the position you want and don't plan on trying to move it by yourself it will be OK. When you move it then get some help if you don't have the outside rub rail on the boat.

I get e-mail from folks that move there boat to attach the bottom and the 1st thing they tell me is .....HELP....I cracked some of the boats ribs.

Then it is a repair job and putting on the outside rail so they can move the boat by themselves. You will see what I am saying when you get the ribs attached and then look down the side of the boat .... it will have some curves in it and it is nothing but unsupported side boards. The rails take that out and true the boat up.

Chuck.