Sources of plywood | SouthernPaddler.com

Sources of plywood

tw541

Feb 18, 2008
Mountain Home, Arkansas
I am getting ready to start building two electric pirogues for me and my wife. These are boats we will use for many years, and I want to use quality plywood. I am finishing up a Swamp Girl using 5.2 mm Chinese plywood from Lowe's. I really don't want to use this for these two boats, but I am having a hard time finding anything better. I don't have any doubt I can build a quality boat from this plywood, but for these two boats I don't want to use it. These will be special. I was wondering if anyone knows of a source of plywood that can be shipped. I have a quote from Chesapeake Light Craft for 6 sheets of 6mm French made marine okoume for $579.00 delivered to my house. This is $69.00 per sheet and $165.00 shipping. This is the best price I have found so far. A company in California wants over $100.00 more and I have to pick it up at a freight terminal.

For the boats I am going to build, I really need 6mm. The stuff at Lowe's is called 5.2mm but I think that may be optimistic. It is a little thinner than that. I know I can build a quality boat from the cheaper stuff, but not for these boats. The only 1/4" plywood available in this area is ABX, and it is pretty bad, lots of voids. If anyone knows of another source of quality plywood that the dealer will ship, I would appreciate hearing about it. I guess I am just having a little problem with paying $96.50 per sheet for 1/4" plywood. What is really shocking is that there is nothing availble locally.

JEM

I could do a precut kit. I don't have you file with me, but I believe it was 3 sheets of ply for each.

I should be able to have it cut and delivered for about $650-$700. I little bit more than getting and cutting yourself.

When I look at the file again I might be able to think of other options like sending the plywood ripped down the middle for 12 sheets of 8' x 24". That would be like $400 or so. But let me double check to be sure.