SOUTHEASTERN ILLINOIS CHOWDER | SouthernPaddler.com

SOUTHEASTERN ILLINOIS CHOWDER

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Hi!! A friend sent me this..she lives about 20 minutes away in Southeastern Illinois. They make it for big gatherings mainly in the Fall....Bonfires,Bluegrass and such. It is similiar to Burgoo which is popular in Kentucky. Try it out sometime :D KAHUNA Southeastern IL Chowder

1 gallon water
1 1/2 lb beef, cut in chunks
1 1/4 lb boneless chicken, cut up
1 small head cabbage, chopped
3 large stalks celery, chopped
2-3 c. carrots, diced
1 large onion, chopped
2 qt. peeled and diced potatoes
2 1/2 c. fresh or frozen green beans, thawed if frozen
1 15.25 oz can lima beans, drained
24 oz tomato sauce (and liquid from washing out cans)
1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen corn, thawed if frozen
LOTS OF GARLIC!!!(I added this Kahuna) Salt and pepper to taste (be generous with the pepper)

Bring water to boil in large pot. Add beef and cook gently for an hour, stirring frequently.
Add chicken and continue to cook gently for another 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Add
cabbage, celery, and carrots. Cook for another 1/2 hour, stirring frequently. Add onions,
then 15 minutes later the potatoes. Cook, remembering to stir to keep from sticking, for 45
more
minutes. Add green beans. Cook another hour. Add lima beans, and cook a final 30 minutes,
stirring frequently. Near the end of the cook time, add the tomato sauce, corn, and salt and
pepper and heat through.

Notes: The goal is to keep this at a low boil the entire time. Boiling water may be added as
needed. The stirring keeps the soup from sticking, and also breaks up the chunks, resulting in
a very thick soup wiith lots of body and basically some small lumps by the end of the cook
time--which indeed is 5 1/2 hours!(Increase Ingredients to make larger quantities....that's obvious!! LOL) :lol: :lol:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Mike , yer makin me fat! :D
mmmmm, lets see..... thiz hare iz fall wether....mmmm now if'n I waz to take off now and paddle out west to Mike's place I'd be in fer sum gooooood cookin'... then git up wit Tom.... show him mah two angled bow then he'd feel sorry fer me an' put me on sum 50 pound trout outta plain be'in nice an' all...mayba Chuck kin go wit me... thata wayz I kin lift sum o' that mud pie he totez around....
swampy