Southernpaddler sure fire fish getters | SouthernPaddler.com

Southernpaddler sure fire fish getters

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe wrote:
Seeing Joey making handmade flies made me remember an ancient post about The humdinger flies that Chuck made for Kahunas fly swap a long time ago. Seems like I remember Chuck giving instructions on how to tie it. Kept trying to do a search for it and would get about every post ever made on here. Would anybody remember where to locate those instructions.
Bob

Yep , I remember........ Now for a fee I will tell you since they are so dang good at getting fish.:lol:

Take what ever hook you want depending on what you are fishing for...... Set up the vice and get ready.

Take some thread and attach it to the front of the hook , now attach some chenillie ( White works really good silver can be used) go down the shaft of the hook with the thread and secure it at the end.

Now go down with the chenillie wrapping it to the end and Repeat the process back to the front and tie it off. The chenillie with the thread holding it down. Lose or wide wrap back the the eye of the hook. Your choice. I like wide wraps.

Now with some Flashabou , Pearl , tie it off extending out from the front of the hook , after it is tied off then reverse it to go's back over the body of the hook and about twice to three times the length of the hook. Again your choice.

Now tie that off at the head of the hook , just a short distance back so you create a head on the fly , Let me explain........

When using the fly the Chenillie will release tiny air bubbles like a fish does when in a panic and swimming to get away from something , besides the flashing factor of the air bubbles both being slowly released and the remaining being trapped in the Chenillie creating a reflective light show .

Now the Flashabou in the Pearl has all of the colors flashing like a fish in distress. They flitter and move with the water creating a larger effect then the fly actually is.........

HOT dog a large minnow ready to be eaten.......or so the fish thinks. Laughing

You can use any size hook by following the above guide lines and even make Jigs that will do the same.

Mac was fishing with 6 rods out and with minnows on them for specks here in Lake Harney...... He was casting and trolling with one additional rod .....All of the specks he got were off of the jigs I gave him for the specks.... The Jigs had red heads and tied up as I described above.

In the Glades .. we have used up a lot of them for everything from mangrove snappers to reds , trout and snook. They just tore the jigs up. In one week ( 5 days) Vince and I went threw 48 of the jigs and a lot of fish.:D

These are some sure fire fish getting items..........

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I cleaned this post up a little so the pictures ... that you guys requested ... would be near the original post. There is two ways to make this fly , just depends on which one you like.
Both are easy tie but the 2nd style ( fuzzy) is the one I make when someone wants a handfull of them.

Start with wrapping the shank of the hook with some chenillie as stated in the above post.

fly%20001.jpg

Now attach the flash extending out the front , fold it back over the hook and tie it again at the eye of the hook.

fly%20002.jpg

Here is a better picture . the thread that you tied everything off at the eye of the hook makes a good head for the fly.

1...If you want it to sink faster then use a little lead wire arounfd the shank of the hook before starting.
2...To make it weedless then attach some lead eyes at the head with the hook in the up position.
3... No standard length on the flash , I like two to three times the length of the hook , if the fish strike short then trim some of the flash off while fishing.

fly%20003.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Fuzzy One.................
If you want to then tie the flash off at the tail as the 1st step and as the last step add the fuzzy chenillie without wrapping it with the thread from the bobbin.

fly%20004.jpg

Happy fishing , give them a try.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It started out as a small minnow but it does remind me more of the shrimp , now that you mentioned it.
What we call Grass Shrimp here in the fresh water , something that Specks and Gill's really like for a meal.

I need to say .. The Fuzzy one is the one I started with and works really well in both salt and fresh water. The other one is a newer creation that is working just as good. Just work it nice and slow allowing the flash to flutter in the water.

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Chuck. Those are some good designs. I'll get some of that Flashbou the next trip to Cabela's. The variety of fly tying materials at Cabela's is mind boggling.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Thanks, Chuck. Those are some good designs. I'll get some of that Flashbou the next trip to Cabela's. The variety of fly tying materials at Cabela's is mind boggling.

Joey

I started with the Cabelas kit while recuperating from some cardiac surgery back in 93 ... ( Had 4 months with nothing to do but tie fly's and dream up new ones ) Been using them since then to resupply.

Found out I was doing a good job , before the doc released me he said to go fishing during the day for two weeks to get use to moving around , driving and being outside.
OK.. Before you ask , he has since retired ( 1998) and so did I. :lol:

I took a art kit I have had since the mid 50's and gave all of the oils , brushes and the rest to the daughters and turned it into a fly tying kit.

fly%20005.jpg

A closer look and trust me it is full , all you see is the top of the pile and not everything ( plus there is a good 1 inch of storage in the top lid behind the pallet ) , there are a lot of flys in there , all I have to do is tie them.

fly%20006.jpg

I found it is a lot more fun when your art catches fish , the critics are few and far between. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. I am glad I made the bed this morning , looks good in the picture as a background , thank Gwd ya can't see the rest of the bedroom. :lol: :lol: :lol:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey sparky nice looking flies there. yea just something about making your on & catching fish on them. i used to make jigs & catch whiteperch on them.

hey yak now we know why all the bad guys were never caught few years back. chuck was learning to tie flies & trying them out in his spare time.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
hey yak now we know why all the bad guys were never caught few years back. chuck was learning to tie flies & trying them out in his spare time.

What can I say , they furnished the boat , motor , gas , trailer , vehicle to tow it with , paid me to be on the water and when there was nothing going on , might as well look like a fisherman. Why else would anyone be on the water????

"O"ooop's ... you said spare time , "O" yes , right , it was definetly during spare time. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.