Spar Varnish recommendations | SouthernPaddler.com

Spar Varnish recommendations

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I have tried several brands of varnish on my paddles after the epoxy has dried but seems that after a few weeks they all tend to peel off. What is a good brand that can be purchased locally, say Lowes or Home Depot or lumber yard? Hate that added shipping! Oh yeah, I'm using West epoxy, any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Z-Spar Captains Varnish made by Pettit seems to be the most recommended here. According to their website the following dealers in Savannah sell it.

Globle Ship Systems
Hogan's Marine
Isle of Hope Marine
Sail Harbor Marine & Boatyard

Also they show a West Marine there with it, but say that they specialize in mail order sales.

islandpiper

If your seemingly good Spar Varnish is peeling off, don't hastily blame the varnish.

Varnish is not paint! Surface preparation, humidity of the surface and sub-surface and the surrounding air during and after application, viscosity of the varnish, age of the varnish, drying conditions, thickness of the covering, management of underlying/earlier coats and style of application all play into the useable lifespan of varnish coatings.

In short, you can't just "slap it on" and expect it to work.

Piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
been using epipanes (sp?) for several years with no problems

are washing off the amine blush and sanding to give the surface some tooth before applying varnish?

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Jimmy W said:
Z-Spar Captains Varnish made by Pettit seems to be the most recommended here.

Pettit Z-spar 1015 Captain varnish, thats the one I have always used.

Kayak Jack said:
Hold your horses here. Varnish is not meant to be used below the water line. Directions right on hte can.

Don't varnish your paddles. Epoxy them.

I believe that they are more referring to boats that have 24-7 contact with the water. All my kayaks have varnished hulls (over epoxy) and no problems below the water line. And a paddle varnished over epoxy shouldn't have a problem either.

Like Islandpiper & seetick say, surface prep and conditions when varnishing have alot to do with varnish sticking.

DM
mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was holding off , not saying anything till someone brought it up. The varnish is not to be used below the water line on anything that will be in the water for an extended time , like the bottom of a boat. Especially one that will be moored at the dock and never taken out of the water.

For an in , having some fun , then out ... varnish can be used. All my paddles are varnished for protection , over the epoxy.
I also apply a coat of the Johnson's paste wax over the varnish.

My boats , above the graphite line are varnished and that area ( the sides ) gets wet when paddling but does not stay wet. On the water in the morning and off in the afternoon.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

When you said "after the epoxy has dried" tipped me off to a possible cause. Epoxy needs about 2-3 to "cure" then wash off the blemish and sand to remove all the shiny surface. You may start with something coarse like 100 or 120, but you can finish with 200-250 before varnishing. You can also let the varnish cure between coats, sand well with fine sand paper or steel wool between coats.