Special Build, We need advice | SouthernPaddler.com

Special Build, We need advice

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
My son Jacob has been nominated, interviewed and accepted to spend 19 days as a student ambassador traveling Europe this summer. He has been fundraising for the past couple months and we're still coming up with ideas.

Let me back up a bit. Last year he sold enough Cub Scout popcorn to earn a canoe. He said to me, "you have friends that build them right?" "you build homes, cabinets and other things right" You see where this is going. But the surprise came next. "Lets build 3." I had to ask why 3. "1 for Jacob and I, 1 for Mom & Alex, and 1 to sell and get our money back. What a kid.

Ok with that in mind, we're going to try to combine his idea with his fundraising. We have a couple months until a canoe show here in town and would like to have 3-5 boats built and ready to sell to fund his trip.

I am looking for advice on choosing design that would:
-be atractive
-be a time efficent build
-be a build without alot of waste (scrap material)
-be saleable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, let me know if there is anything else that I should be looking at in choosing a design.

Thanks,

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt,

Young Gator has a special place in my heart. I first encountered him when he was an 11 year old in Boy Scouts. We camped and canoed together, and learned from each other. He is an Eagle Scout.

Now, he has two boys of his own and is teaching them. A torch has been passed.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
He's a good friend of Jack's? Well .... we'll be nice to him anyway.....

Matt....

You are a good , Decent , Well Respected and all round good guy. I base that on the fact that the person you are so willing to help is someone that Knows Jack or so Jack claims.

A person should not be judged by the folks they know , but by themselves , after all .... all of us know someone who we do not want to admit we know.

I do have to admit , he was way ahead of the game not saying anything about knowing Jack... He has to be one ... BRIGHT... Person or has read a lot of the stuff on here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personalty , for me .. I really don't care , no reputation to protect so I can say I know Jack and have even ( Shudder , Gasp , choke , studded ) camped with him. Everyone is entitled to a few mistakes , correct. ( I think I have used all of mine up since I meet jack)

Chuckles.......... :p
PS. I could not think of any better way to use up all my mistakes. :D