spring clamps | SouthernPaddler.com

spring clamps

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I've been studying Micks' Southwind and counted I believe thirty larger spring clamps Do you think this is an adequate number or should I plan on buying more?

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
The Home Depot's around here actually have a good price on the larger spring clamps (Neon green grips on the handles), I think 99 cents each.

If you have a Harbor Freight around you, they are good for spring clamps and c-clamps also.

I have bunches of both types. The spring clamp I keep on the stiffener on my garage door, they are always at arms length whether the door is shut or open (when its open they are just over head).

DM

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I was thinking the same thing as where they would be handy. I have a coil type door so I think I'll suspend a 1by from the roof at about 6 feet or what ever works best.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ozzie,

Mate, I have about 60 of those clamps and it is only just enough. No matter how many you buy, you will probably need more. I am at a complete loss as to how jack can make do with only 10 clamps.

More clamps = more stuff setting up at the same time = faster, more effecient build = the sooner you can be paddling your lovely new boat. :D

I will be buying another couple of dozen before I start my next build. If you can get them at 99cents, it is a bargain. Why is stuff so much cheaper in the US? :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
hairymick said:
... I am at a complete loss as to how Jack can make do with only 10 clamps....... If you can get them at 99cents, it is a bargain. Why is stuff so much cheaper in the US? :shock:
I'm much more efficient than you are, Mick. I turn a 6 day project into a six month project. Way easier.

Cheaper here because we're closer to the point of manufacture - China - than you are. :roll:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Cheaper here because we're closer to the point of manufacture - China - than you are.

I don't think so mate. :lol:

BTW, I had a little rant about Assie Tackle shops and their prices a while ago. Since discovering the delights of Cabelas and Bass Pro, TRobin and I have been doing some serious clothes shopping. :D.

Your sizing scales are a "little" different to ours :shock: but once we worked that out, there are some very serious savings to be had by importing all our clothes too. eg, Columbia Bahama LS shirt retails here for about US$75.00 - Cabelas - US $25.00. These shirts are made in Sri Lanka which is way closer to Oz than the US.

Do you know if there is a US online store that sells Colorado clothes? We have a Colorado store here but they are charginf bloody outrageous prices for the stuff. As much as I like their stuff, I refuse to pay 80 bucks for a bloody T shirt.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Mick,

Check this link and see if it is the store you are talking about:
http://www.coloradoclothing.com/Default.aspx?tabid=36
If so, I found a statement that says: "At this time, we cannot accept Internet orders for delivery outside of the US."

Maybe they'll take a phone order?

If that is the one, I will gladly forward to you whatever you want to order from them.

That said, they do give a list of retail outlets that carry their stuff:
Cabelas (I know you have that one bookmarked!)

Gander Mountain http://www.gandermountain.com

And others.

But like I said, if you need a "re-shipper," let me know!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I live 10 miles from Bass Pro World Headquarters in Springfield Mo. if I can help you with anything from them. I was up there last Sunday looking at their camping stuff but didn't see any I wanted. Tons of bargains on fishing lures right now in big ole tubs that they just dump them into. people their standing around them waiting for the next batch to sort though.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm Hooked on Cabelas and Campmor for camping stuff and Home Depot just loves to see me walk into there place. I usually leave with there supply of "C" Clamps ( I get one box at a time , not just a few "C" clamps and a few or the more advanced ones for pulling wood together ) .

I can see the hardware manager telling his folks ... here comes Chuck . quick order more "C" Clamps and see what else he is getting , he will deplete our stock. :lol:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
The manager at my Home Depot has my card on speed dial. I walk in the door he drops every thing to help with my orders. It's usually company business but he throws a gift or two in every now and then. I know what that will be now.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mick,

Check out Sierra Trading Post. We drove past their place in Wyoming a few months back......hated havin' ta drive on by.

regards
bearridge

Ole Sam, he used me bad. I aint really hiz anyway. He jest traded some skunk pelts for me. Janie

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
My parents sent me off to Summer Clamp one year.
I burned it down. I think someone made a movie about that. :lol:

What about those clamps made from cutting a 2 or 3 inch piece off a length of 2, 3, or 4 inch PVC pipe? You take that ring you cut off and make another cut to split it, and it turns into a "C" clamp.

I saw someone post a picture of some in use on this Forum somewhere, and also seem to remember having used some of these in the distant past. Not sure for what, though. . .

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL