Square Bisquits | SouthernPaddler.com

Square Bisquits

islandpiper

I was in a restaurant in Baton Rouge a while back and they had big, fluffy bisquits......these are pretty close:

2 cups all-Purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup cheese, grated (if cheese biscuits are desired)
1/2 cup Crisco shortening/margarine
3/4 cup buttermilk
Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in mixing bowl. Add grated cheese. Mix margarine or shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in buttermilk to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead about 10 times to form a smooth ball. Do not over knead or biscuits will not be as tender. Roll out to a 6 x 6 inch square. Place on greased baking sheet, cut dough into 12 portions. Do not separate, leave biscuits in a square. Bake at 400F until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
square%20bisquits_1.jpg

cheers, piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
DAMN PIPER! Lock your doors! :shock: Jarvis is trying to get in for those fine look'n biscuits. You put a side of sausage gravy next to em....I'll be trying to get in! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
At our Masonic Lodge here in Okemos, a couple of guys bake up biscuits like these. I use them for several applications:

Road aggregate
Kitty litter
Post hole diggers (drop one and you have an instant hole. Drop two and you have a LARGE hole instantly)
Speedi-Dry to soak up oil etc. CANNOT be used in environmental situations
Chunkin' at stray dogs
Cannon balls & fragmentation bombs for Civil War re-enactment
Pumice stone for cleaning grills

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
DAMN PIPER! Lock your doors! :shock: Jarvis is trying to get in for those fine look'n biscuits. You put a side of sausage gravy next to em....I'll be trying to get in! :wink:

One of the pleasures of paddling the Ocklawaha River was after the trip and back at the outpost for the night and looking forward to the morning , going to the Golden Skillet , down the street.

A Mom and Pop restaurant and for breakfast there were biscuits like yours. A person had to put honey or gravy on then to keep them from floating off the plate , they were some of the best I have ever had. A good 3 inches , square and 1 1/2 inches high , light as air and a good home made taste.
Sitting on there plate it was some tasty , hot , delicious country goodness in the morning to start the day right. Especially with his home made sausage gravy over them. Some eggs and grits on a separate plate didn't hurt things either.

Unfortunetly it is all past tense since the owner closed up shop and retired. :evil:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Piper San,

Ever do these in a preheated cast iron skillet? Would be worth experimenting with at a campfire.

Chuckie, maybe we can make some Miji bisquicks?

If Michigan ones are like you said........
Road aggregate
Kitty litter
Post hole diggers (drop one and you have an instant hole. Drop two and you have a LARGE hole instantly)
Speedi-Dry to soak up oil etc. CANNOT be used in environmental situations
Chunkin' at stray dogs
Cannon balls & fragmentation bombs for Civil War re-enactment
Pumice stone for cleaning grills

Then Canuk (Miji Biscuits ) ones must be what they call Hard Tack.
Lets have some southern ones , light and fluffy like southerners are ... "O"oop's ...Meant to say ... Like southerners are use to.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend piper,

Where iz iTaste? My Mac wont let me taste yer biscuits. :? My favorite biscuit comes frum Popeyes. Paul Prudhomme come up with their red beans 'n rice (one of the best).....mebbe he showed 'em how ta make good biscuits?

A pal tole me Popeyes uses club soda. I looked a some recipes 'n seen some that call fer it ('er a cold 7 UP, Sprite 'er Ginger Ale) along with some sour cream. Seems like they dunk 'em in butter when they come out the oven.

regards
bearridge

My wife is in hell where I sent her.  She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible.  Po Campo

islandpiper

Baker Jack......i use a hot hot hot iron skillet for cornbread, then into the oven......have not made biscuits that way, but I imagine they would be like Bannock. Better than nothing when no other bread is available. I'm guessing that gobs of this could be deep fried and make pretty nice fried biscuits, too. Of course, the rule here is, "if you can eat it, it will be OK deep fried".

Piper[/list]

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I'd guess that biscuits in a hot greased up skillet like cornbread would burn on the outside. Cornbread batter has a lot more liquid in it than biscuit dough. Once the liquid dries out, things start getting crusty

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jack...Didn't you tell me on our long sojourn that Adventure Foods eggs were very good? Thinking of getting some for the Bakepacker on this next trip. I might just bring off the shelf corn bread for the Bakepacker.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mz Jean's powdered eggs are EXCELLENT. Beats all others I've tried. Stay fresh in the freezer for months. Mix'em up and they make darned good scrambled eggs. Add bacon or sausage and enjoy! JARVIS good eatin'!

One guy I paddled with served powdered eggs from REI. YUCK! Half of them were stuck in the pan, the other half was not good to eat. I avoid them. And, no amount of soaking helped the ans - EVER. MUCH scrubbing and scraping - and that was in a non-stick pan! I hate to think what they do in my arteries.

Get your powerederd eggs from www.Adventurefoods.com

Tell'em Groucho sent ya.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker

If you can locate some Martha White Cotton Picking ( or Cotton Country) Cornbread , it is the just add water mix in a brown and yellow pack. That is the Buttermilk cornbread mix they make.

http://www.marthawhite.com/products/category5.aspx
1330053101.jpg

It is quite expensive , two packs for a buck :lol: and it cooks up really good in the backpacker.
Use about 20% less water in the backpacker and about 20 minutes for it to cook. It calls for 3/4 cup of water I use 1/2 cup.

( If you use honey in place of water then the cornbread will taste like the corn bread you get at Boston Market )

Chuck.