staining--how dark | SouthernPaddler.com

staining--how dark

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Thanks for the info posted elsewhere on the forum--I almost used an oil-based stain prior to epoxy, but saw the advice to use water-based...will do that instead.

Anyway, I'm an admitted "greenhorn" when it comes to building a canoe--and have only paddled with metal or fiberglass canoes in the past. I'm far from an experienced paddler. As I'm thinking through the build and visualizing what I'd like the look to be, I was wondering does it matter how dark you stain the inside of the boat--due to sunlight, temp, etc.???

islandpiper

I had a brilliant white fiberglass cruising sloop many years ago, the decks may have contributed to my eventual blindness. We used it one season, then enameled the decks a nice, medium gray, and enjoyed sailing a lot more.

Grumman canoes are eye friendly only when the aluminum is painted with a non reflective coating or covered up inside with duluth packs.

My latest pirogue is natural cheap plywood color, reddened up a bit with epoxy and varnish, pretty eye-friendly. I'd lead toward gray, or brown, some natural color that you don't mind having coming UP at you all day when paddling.

Remember that stain "takes:" differently on wood that has been sanded, glue spattered, wet and dried a couple of times. That is, it is hard to get an even color when staining........so I suggest, epoxy, then a sprayed coat of color, for even-ness, then the varnish of your choice.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I would imagine you have the same sun problem in Texas that we have here in Florida , BRIGHT 8).

It is the reflection off the water that causes most of the problems with a persons eyes , ( a hat furnishes no protection for the reflection) same thing from light colors or reflective colors.

I would suggest a neutral shade like natural wood or an earth tone. Not real dark or the color will get hot , ever sit on a black seat when it has been out in the sun for a while ?

Remember the epoxy is going to darken the wood so I would experiment with some scrap pieces to find the shade I liked the best.

Chuck.

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
If using ply with one side prettier than the other, which side do you guys use for the outside--assuming the boat is left bright, and not painted? The luann I bought has a side with small knots in the grain, the other side is knot free with a prettier grain.

Question is not intended to debate cheap vs. marine grade...

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
For the bottom panels that will be below the water line, put the ugly outside. You will likely be covering it with graphite enriched epoxy anyway.

Above the water line, it's according who you want to impress - onlookers or yourself?

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Unfortunately, there's two different veneers--a different one on each side of the ply. The boat's a 5 panel canoe with flat bottom. How strange would it look to have the inside bottom a different finish than the inside top and mid panels?

I'm thinking since I have to stain prior to epoxy anyway, I'll just decide once I've joined the long panels just prior to stitching...

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Is it time yet to override your proviso: "Question is not intended to debate cheap vs. marine grade..." ?

I'm thinking that I don't have to say anything. The thoughts are already buzzing round in your head like dreams on the night before Christmas.

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Buzzing, yes, but not yet...

It ain't a "fifty foot" boat yet, but it's still less than fifty in ply...

Jack here: GO get'em, Jer. You'll have a great boat!

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
stain

Heck, all my boats got knots showing.

I just try to get the grain about the same. One side oneway an tother backasswards just don't look right.

I would keep the clear side outside.

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Here's a pic of both sides of the plywood I'm using--Luann from HD, I think, but I went back and forth so many times to Lowe's and HD before borrowing the truck...anyway
IMG_2546Small.jpg

and another showing more detail of the "ugly" side--
IMG_2545Small.jpg

The more I look at it, I kinda think maybe them knots adds character...

Also, I was thinking about a simple geometric design added to the top panel near the bow (and maybe stern). I was wondering if I could chisel out some simple arrows and diamonds and just flip the wood pieces around to create an inlay in the panel--as Chuck says, it's my boat, I should do it my way...
I was thinking something like this...
untitledSmall.jpg

Once epoxied back in, the contrast in veneers should look nice. Thoughts???

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Good point (as in why didn't I think of that). Using the cheap ply, I went ahead and made templates for the top two panels--(templates are just for one build--I know the rules...). Could cut out the design in the template and see if it works. And then use it to mark the panels.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ron(TRR) used some ply with similar knots on one of his boats and I though it was striking. Kind of made it look like birch bark.

Joey

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Thanks for the feedback.

Jack, do you think the bend on the Jemwatercraft Iroquois top panel would pop it out if epoxy were used to put the pieces back in prior to stitching? I figured I would epoxy them at the same time I did the butt joints, as I created the long panels. Would that be feasible? I wonder now if the bend would make it look odd...if the geometry would get skewed in the bending...