Stays | SouthernPaddler.com

Stays

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Race boat modifications continue

I want to make a splash cover for the long tall Touring TV.

I got some oak screen trim boards, very good dimensions for the stays that I want 3/4 inch by 1/4. Problem came when I tried to bend one into where I want it and it snapped.

Gonna have to bend these pretty extremely to get the curve I want.

Question should I scrap the oak? Would oak make the bend I want if I steamed the heck out of it? Would pine make the bend if I steamed the heck out of it?

Should I just go to the pond and cut a bunch of green willow sticks?

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Nevermind, Went to the lumber store durring lunch, picked up a piece of pine, flexed it, and bought it. I think the pine will make the curve without steaming it.

I will most likely lay light glass cloth on one or both sides to hold 75 to 80 percent of the curve I want and give it a little more water resistance and strength.

Wish I had my money back on the oak......bad choice for this purpose.

Tom

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heck I was going to vote for the green willow sticks. :roll:

It seams that the pine would do the trick , as you suggested , and after some of the bend is in it then the epoxy to saturate it and possibly a layer of glass on one side. If you start the bend really easy and let it sit for a while it should conform to that bend , then increase it as time passes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Tom, if these stays (like corset stays?) are to be on the outside of the canvas, you may want to bend them beyond where they will finally be on the boat. Then epoxy and glass them. That way, as the wood tries to restraighten itself a bit, it will more accurately fit the curvature of your boat.

On the other hand, if these stays are to be inside the canvas, then you may want them to be a bit straighter so as to better stretch against the canvas.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I am planning on sewing them in pockets on the underside of the canvas. They will be completely removable. They will fit into pockets epoxied on the inside of the gunnel.
That is why I want them fixed at about 75 to 80 percent of their installed shape. The remaining flex of the bow will pressure hold them in place

The canvas will snap to the gunnel on the outside just below the rub rail.

This project will push the absolute limit of my sewing ability........they are just hems.....right? Cant be that hard....right?

I could probably find a person that knows their way around a sewing machine that would do it for little to nothing, I just figure with all the measuring, testing, fitting I would be making more trips to see her than would be worth it, and my girlfriend might get suspicious, and if you want anything done right/twice (the material was cheep enough) than you better just do it yourself....right?

Tom

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
put you a layer of glass and epoxy on the outside of the bend, it will stop the cracking . the outside bends and the inside contracts , so putting on the layer will work just like flexing a bow.
Ron

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Messed with bending some pine last night, had the pot of water boiling and getting three pieces to go pretty much the way I wanted them to.....put a little more pressure on the shortest one and POP!

I cussed, my girlfriend in her infinite wisdom said.....I wonder if plastic pipe would work......duh ollfffff

Why didn't I think of that, I know they are pretty soft and not too strong but I think it will work. I think I get all lovey dovey with WOOD and the amazing things we can do with it and epoxy when we make boats that I get mule blinders on. Why didn't i think of that?

Scrap this whole thread and go back to your coffee boys. (or then again maybe someone else out there will benefit from my mistakes.)

Tom (shopping for PVC today)

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
There is another benefit soaking PVC won't hurt it either.

Tested my ability to put the snaps on last night. Had bad results with that too. I bought cheep snaps in the craft/fabric section of Wally world. I tore up the first atempt at riviting the male side, I dented the button on both of them even though I was realy being carefull not to hit it too hard on the second practice round. Might need to get a bit better quality snaps, they got some at the hardware store that look a little better.

What would I do if I didn't have this stuff to contemplate.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Come on KJ it's all in fun, I appreciate the reference. Matter of fact I had already visited their site. Just too much of a do-it-yourselfer and tight wad to hire anyone to do anything I THINK I can do myself.

Looks like they have good stuff, but I am getting a kick out of my own design and build.

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I would love to attend a rendezvous and meet this Old Sparky bunch. Time and money won't allow it this year.

I have been a bit slack on posting photos to. Got to get some up.

Bolted on some test stay holders and got my two of my PVC stays put in place last night. Might get a photo up of what that looks like today.

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I have one of those. It will help you get through the thick stuff. I like to use dental floss in it to sew tough stuff. I am making this cover with pretty light nylon. I am hoping even the 6 layers i will have in corners will sew with the machine.

Tom

WDfrmTN

mosportsmen said:
Race boat modifications continue

I want to make a splash cover for the long tall Touring TV.

I got some oak screen trim boards, very good dimensions for the stays that I want 3/4 inch by 1/4. Problem came when I tried to bend one into where I want it and it snapped.

Gonna have to bend these pretty extremely to get the curve I want.

Question should I scrap the oak? Would oak make the bend I want if I steamed the heck out of it? Would pine make the bend if I steamed the heck out of it?

Should I just go to the pond and cut a bunch of green willow sticks?

Tom
The oak will bend if steamed.