Stickers and such? | SouthernPaddler.com

Stickers and such?

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
After building a boat that I felt had to be painted,I plan on varnishing the next one. My question is,can I put stickers/decals on the boat and epoxy over them? I want to put the Jem logo and my name on it but I want it to be in the epoxy and not on it. Is that do-able?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I lay out a couple of my business cards and epoxy saturate them , , both sides, when it dries then I trim off the excess.

Next is to take them and put them on the epoxy when I work on a boat , after they set up then put a piece of light weight glass over them and epoxy it into place.

If someone barrows without the intent of returning ( steals ) one of my boats they will have to cut out that section , or paint over it but there is a slight bump so they would be easy to locate under the paint. :D

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Here is a sample of stuff I have done. The JEM logo and serial number thing were scanned into the computer and then printed out on the medium. The fish was airbrushed on.
The medium is Heavy Silky Paper, same stuff used for artwork on surfboards. Laminated between the wood & the fiberglass cloth. Some others have used rice paper, sewing pattern paper, stuff like that.
howcool1.jpg

howcool8.jpg

1368221artwork3.JPG

1368218artwork1.JPG

DM
mike

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
My concern is that the decals are vinyl. Epoxy doesn't stick to plastic/vinyl right. So if I put the sticker on the glass and then lay a layer over what will happen? I just don't want to put the decals on top because they will wear off in no time.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
redfisher said:
DM that is just what I want to do! Rice paper?? Did you just epoxy in the piece of paper or do you transfer it onto the boat some how??

I have not used rice paper yet, the Heavy Silky Paper is like a synthetic rice paper, I put it between the wood and the cloth, but just putting a coat or two of epoxy over it would work. Tho, you would have to be careful if you do any sanding (for varnishing or for re-varnishing later) over top of it that you dont scruff it up and then it might look fuzzy or sanded thru.
This is what it looked like before I epoxied it in, the HSP disappears once it get wet just like the cloth.
1368220artwork2.JPG

I have left over bits of the HSP, I can print some more of the JEM logo and snail mail them to ya. PM me your mail address if you want them.

Play around with rice paper or onion skin paper on some scrap wood to see if it disappears when wetted out. Also to make sure the stuff printed on it doesn't run and bleed once it gets wet

DM
mike