Stretch and Grow - or Shrink and Die | SouthernPaddler.com

Stretch and Grow - or Shrink and Die

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
At our stage of Life, it feels good to lay back and rest. It feels good - but it can be a slippery slope.

Seems our bodies and brains have reached, or are approaching, a stage where cells dieing off are about on a par with those new ones being created. And maybe, we've already reached the point where the race is being slowly lost.

As brain cells die off, so do some of our memories and skills and abilities. While our bodies may be losing the race, there are ways for each of us to keep the pace up for an extended period of time - years. By learning new things - new knowledge and new skills - we establish new connections in our brains and can keep pace with the loss of older memories.

Paddling and camping can be a vehicle for this stretching. But, maybe not in the old, familiar places where we don't have as much opportunity to see and learn new things. Travel to new places, paddle different waters that travel through far away lands. Camp with people who are new to you. Learn some new skills or applying old skills in new situations.

And, of course, we can go out and learn completely new skills and knowledge. Our local schools often run Adult Education programs. Local colleges and community colleges have classes in interesting subjects. Who gives a damn if we get an A or a D? We get exposed to new stuff and new people! That is stimulating - and THAT is the goal.

Geezers arise. A spectre haunts our land. It is called dementia and it isn't good for us. It's only critical.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
So true....

Your words could be placed on the ingredients list on my bottle of life's elixir.
Add the following....shake well with a measure of "use it or lose it".

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WARNING..... Read this at your own risk. It is some southern paddler philosophy. :wink: *************************************************************
I always believed that what happen in our past , including what the old folks taught us and we tried/did and learned helped to improve our life. It would be a crime to lose all of that knowledge they bestowed on us , providing we listened to them. It is our duty to pass that learning/knowledge on to anyone wanting it. :D

Then later down the road we have that voice from the past saying ... No ... NOT THAT WAY... Do it like I showed you. :D

Now ... Don't tell me that does not happen to anyone of you out there when you are doing something .... If it did then .. Welcome to the they told and showed how to do it section of your life.

A person can't go back , No way in Hell you can UN ring a bell ... so we keep marching forward with our own personal drummer but we do progress forward one large step or a small one and that is all that counts.

When that forward progression comes to a halt , which will happen and then the best to wish for is that someone else will take your steps ( Knowledge) and go forward with them to enrich there lives plus those behind them coming down and enjoying the same path.

Learn from the past and use it to improver the future , if you don't then it will repeat itself.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I've always had a pipe dream of flying fisherman and divers out to the Dry Tortuga's in 50 year old amphib airplanes, living in a trailer under some palm trees , and haunting the local pubs at night telling true stories to young tourists hoping they'll buy my beers. :roll: I've always have set my sights high! :?
That will keep me young and beats watching soap operas and eating bon bons in my advanced years......

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend olderyaker,

I like yer dreams......cept I hate airplanes (but I like the view when yer down low) 'n wanna sail inta that Dry spot. I bet a large animal doctor kin make some big pocket change there? I mite even buy a parrot 'n a stylish hat so I kin swashbuckle in my spare time. 8)

regards
bearridge

Invariably eschew the utilization of an aggrandized word when a diminutive one suffices.  Anonymous