Stuffed Peppers | SouthernPaddler.com

Stuffed Peppers

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A favorite of mine is stuffed peppers. There are lots of good ways to make and cook these; here's but one. I have six, large green peppers. (Red ones work very nicely too.) Remove top by slicing cross the pepper. Remove veins & seeds, and remove the stem end from the top. Set whole pepper aside.

Mix: I used two pounds of ground turkey; ground beef is good too. Could mix in some sausage. To this I added minced goodies: garlic (two heads - that's heads, not cloves.), 6 stalks of celery, half a large onion (found laying all alone and bereft in the veggie drawer of my fridge), a carrot, three Tbsp dry mustard (bought the damned stuff by mistake and trying to use it up), a large handful of sliced jalapenos, 2 whole eggs, 2 Tbsp ground black pepper (trying to use up this stuff too), a double handful of brown rice, and a handful of (what I think is) crushed wheat - bulgar - or something like that (obviously, trying to use up this stuff too). (Oatmeal works very well in here too.) This takes a LARGE mixing bowl to get all mixed up without decorating the cupboard too badly.

In a large crockpot, I put in a liner bag. Reynolds sells these - same thing as an oven bag but open on the side instead of the end. Saves a lot of cleaning afterwards. Squush in (present perfect form of "to squish") your peppers and fill with meat mix and top off with pepper tops. I usually have meat mix left over, and just make up little meat loaves and tuck them into whatever spare corners I can find in between peppers. I put about a 1/2 cup of ketchup on top of each pepper. I suppose that crushed tomatoes or V-8 would work well too. I like ketchup cause it's cheap when I buy it in large containers at Sam's. It's sweet too.

Cook these on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH about half as long. They freeze well and make a welcome winter's day meal.

Bon apetite'