Stuffed Peppers | SouthernPaddler.com

Stuffed Peppers

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I really enjoy stuffed peppers. Bell peppers - green, yellow, orange, red - are tasty. (Good for us too, I guess.) I generally cook them in a crockpot, stacking them at least two layers deep. I add a generous portion of rice or barley or oatmeal or cornmeal to the meat mix to add body and soak up juices. I usually schplop (a term we professional cooks often use only in private conversations amongst our peers) about a 1/4 cup of ketchup or salsa on top of each pepper for extra flavor. Any extra meat mixture is rolled into a sausage shape and tucked into spare corners to cook along with the main batch. When I use a crockpot liner bag, clean up is even easier.

All recipes I'd ever seen used a meatloaf-type stuffing, so that's what I used for years. Then, we got a bit experimental. Chicken chunks, salsa, Mexican spices were tossed together as a trial, cooked, and VOILA'! Good eats. My Son tried chicken chunks along with cornbread stuffing mix. Again - GOOD!

I haven't tried sausage and kraut yet, but plan to soon. Along with stuffed cabbage leaves, stuffed peppers can go in many directions of cuisine. (I'm sure some will want to try spam, turnips, greeitz, catfish, and other abominations. We'll have to hold memorial services for them afterwards, I s'pose. :wink:)

Experiment and let me know what you find to be good.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I've never seen them cooked in a crockpot. Maybe that's a northern thing.

You have not lived until you've had them stuffed with dirty rice and crawfish. Oh, wow, I just started drooling. I better stop now.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I cook them in a crockpot because I'm a lazy cook, not because of geography or culture. Just lazy and don't like cleanup. HINT: Use a crockpot liner bag to save on cleanup. Now, I'll go get some shrimp and try that too.
First guess of mine would be, Zatarain's rice. What's your recipe for dirty rice? (Whatever it is, I'll probably add (more) garlic to it. I'm not lazy with that part. :wink: )

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yep a catfish eating catfish :?: :wink: :D jack all this sounds good you got me hungry. i am going to try when i get time. i like stuff peppers i the only one in my family that eats them :( i guess more for me. i am going to try the sausage thing was thinking of deer . i believe this would be good. the rice in or around them or both sounds good. i may exsperiment with other items? let yall know how they turn out. mite have to even try some gritzzz too?

i,m like a coon though i wash my rice first dont like it dirty. :lol: :mrgreen: