Sturgeon and the Suwannee River. | SouthernPaddler.com

Sturgeon and the Suwannee River.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When paddling the Suwannee River it is time to be careful , the sturgeon will be spawning and jumping. No one knows why they jump , lots of speculation but no facts.

The danger zone of the Suwannee is from the Gulf of Mexico to Branford , a 47 mile area of the river. They jump in the rest of the river but the accidents between them and the boaters most often happen in that stretch. One reason is that Fanning Springs is about the mid way point of that 47 mile area , a popular boating and recreation area.

The time of the year for the jumping it from March to November before they return to the gulf. The like the areas in the river which are from 12 to 25 feet deep.

A sturgeon can weight up to 200 pounds and basically armor plated , there plates can cut and tear tissue. It is suggested to stay in the shallower water along the banks since they like the deeper water. Motor boats need the deeper water , paddlers can handle the shallower water.

As a happy thought.....if you don't think they can be dangerous. During the last two years one person was killed and 18 others injured when they struck one of the Sturgeons , they were motor boating or running jet skies.

The fish is placed , along with sharks , gators and sting rays on a list of Florida wildlife that pose a small but potentially serious threat to people. Sturgeons have inured more people then unprovoked gator attacks.

Think what one would do to a canoe if it jumped and landed on it or in it. I have seen them jumping and right after that 1st one I got out of the deeper water and paddled along the shore , there was more jumping in the deeper water and I was darn glad to not be there. Sure did not want a fish that size in the Canoe with my camping gear and me.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Oz;
Jumping sturgeon are much more scary than those Japanese carps. When I was camping at Manatee Springs last year, walking down to the dock that goes out into the Suwannee River, you could hear what sounded like somebody chucking bowling balls or huge rocks into the river. It was actually the sturgeons.
When paddling we found a dead one, about 3 and a half feet long. Not hard to see how they can hurt you, it was one solidly built fish.

The picture is not from Florida, but it is still a big sturgeon.
Jake%27s-Family-Sturgeon-1.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060817-sturgeon.html

DM
mike

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I've paddled out from rock bluff several times and have seen as many as 75 jump in an hours time. Incredible stuff! Coming back to the ramp one morning a pair of jet skis was putting in. Guy jumped on and gunned the POS. Went about 50 foot and came within inches of catching a 6 foot long fish in his face. His eyes were about 8 inches across and last I saw him, he was still at idle speed. :p LOL

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Sturgeon were plentiful in Lake Erie in the late 1800 and early 1900's. They used them for caviar and the fish for fertilizer. They fished them out until almost extinct. They are protected and seen very seldom. Once in awhile a sport fisherman will hook one and release it after a photo. Very ancient fish and 26 species.

"If you've ever had a chance to look into the eyes of a sturgeon, there are unfathomable depths there that take you back millennia; they take you back ages and ages ago. And having looked into the eyes of a sturgeon, you can fully understand that these animals swam practically unchanged from the way they are today when dinosaurs walked the earth."

Christopher Letts, Hudson River Educator

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yea chuck & yak we have them in the altamaha too. when it was legal they used to catch them in nets here 8' or better . they are protected now, i havent eat the caviar but the meat is mighty good taste about like catfish.