Suicidal Brown Toad | SouthernPaddler.com

Suicidal Brown Toad

islandpiper

This happened to me a long time ago and has always bothered me. i wonder if any of you all have seen anything like this.

I was sitting at a campfire one night in the far northern part of the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. The fire was HOT.....really hot, and there was a white heat under the big split oak firewood. The wood had been under cover and provided a cheerful and bright fire.

Well, out of the brush, about 15-feet away, a brown toad hopped out. These toads were common there and we saw them often. This one focused on the fire and hopped directly to it. Before i could stop him, he hopped directly into the white hot place under the burning wood. As you might expect, it took about 2 seconds and he was popping and burning, and soon gone.

The only explanation i have ever been able to come up with is SUICIDE.

Another mystery of nature.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Not only did I have to look it up, I struggled to remember the name of the zeppelin so I COULD look it up.

My mind used to be much sharper before I listened to bagpipe music. Some resonential thing, I guess.

Actually, I should not be talking like this. I really DO like bagpipes, and was damned glad to have Piper San play the pipes for me whilst in Ponchatoula. So, I owe my Li'l Brother an apology for having fun at his expense. Sorry, Piper San.