Sunday morning on the Alafia | SouthernPaddler.com

Sunday morning on the Alafia

Pirogue

There is a pretty large paddling community in Tampa Bay. Many of these people I have met out and about. However, other than those encounters, we rarely ever meet face to face. With that, most of my communication is by message boards and e-mail.

This is a long way to say that I got an e-mail from an acquaintance that a few of them will be fishing the Alafia (pronounced Al-a-fy) River on Sunday morning. So I decided a trip would be in order. We would put in at the Riverview Civic Center and fish that stretch.

At 6:45 am I launch after a brief talk with another paddler. Rich headed out and started fishing directly across from the civic center. I decided to paddle upstream so I could give him some room.

Sunday morning was overcast with some high clouds. There was also a bit of a breeze. I was a little concerned we may get some rain but I continued upstream.

As I was paddling, I was looking around just observing. This area of the river is pretty developed with homes and the occasional trailer park. They are some really lucky people to live there. Most are boaters, and many have canoes or kayaks. It was a beautiful quiet paddle.

Continuing up stream, I see a yellow kayak heading towards me. It was a gentleman out for an early morning paddle. He and his companion, looked like a brindle pit bull sitting in the tank well, were just out enjoying the morning. We exchange good mornings and nothing else. Sometimes the less said is better.

A couple bends later; I come across an Island in the river. This is the local gathering spot with 2 rope swings. I have been told there is a spring that empties into the river here. So I decide to look for it and check it out for a moment.

I paddle over to the riverbank and see a crystal clear stream emptying into the brown salty river and I decide to paddle up the stream. No more than 100 feet from the salt, I cup my hand and take a drink of the clear water. It is just as fresh as water out of your tap. Eventually I get to a point where I can no longer control the canoe and I beach it.

The water is cool, clear and fast. I am standing on a firm white sand bottom, about 6 inches deep. The banks are a black mud from eons of oaks, cabbage palms, and cypress trees. The air has a slight sulfur smell to it. The sky is all but blocked out by the oak canopy. I decide to walk up stream to the spring. After crossing a couple of fallen cabbage palms, and an oak, I come to an old steel and wooden bridge. For some reason, I am hesitant to walk under the bridge and decide to turn back.

Now I am back in the canoe and am headed back upstream. This was a spot where in my younger days, I could have been found, drinking beer, swinging on the rope swing and doing other stuff youngens do. Now, as a “so calledâ€Â

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Thanks Pirogue... those are sweet trips that we all know mean something special... we're alone and we think.... It's true sometimes the lines never see water... there are other "fish" to catch...
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom

Ya said .....I went to go fishing, but never wet a line.

Now you are sounding like me ...... If you rush , the psychiatric help might still available for you, they gave up on me. :roll:

When I paddle I get really involved with the river, woods, and everything out there and just have to see what is around the next bend....... even if I have been there 100 times, it is relaxing and good medicine.
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pirogue

Get your rain suit out and ready ....... The National Weather says it will be in the middle 80's and a low of the middle 60's with only a 10% chance of rain for Wed, Thu, Fri and Sat. ( I just checked with them.)

While typing this to you it just started in and is really coming down ..a real frog strangler. :roll:

They have no idea that I will be over there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday or they would have increased the possibility of rain. I should be at the campground about mid afternoon on Thursday looking for a campsite.

Ya know you have gotten me in a lot of trouble ..... The 14th is Mary's birthday (my youngest daughter) But I showed her a picture of you and said this is the guy that is making me do all of this , go after him. :lol: :lol:

I will be easy to find .... An ole 96 Dodge Dakota, dark green with a light green topper (mildewed) and on top of it my nasty, ole, beat up, ugly, wood kayak. The same one you looked at in my work shop. The one I call my firewood.
If I am not at the campsite I will be the Wet, nasty , ole , beat up , ugly, (almost old) fart in the southernpaddler "T" shirt and floopy hat , sort of like my kayak but not made of wood. :lol: :lol:

What are the rapids like down river.....? I would hate to scrape my bottom on them..

We will have a lot of fun and if anything , since you will take out down river before me , I will catch up to you and just might bug you all the way to the end of the run.... I am there for the fun and the river.

Darn ..Andrew ....almost forgot .. The EATS .....but don't worry since you can't make it , we will have your share and tell you all about the tasty chow later.. :lol:
Chuck

Pirogue

Chuck,
I will post tomorrow on the rapids. Kevin and I are making the run in the morning. I don't think they are any big deal. The tandem and the other yak came from that direction. The tandem was about 21ft and was dragging a rudder.

If he did it, I don't think you will have a problem.

Yea, and I twisted your arm.

Me- Hey Chuck,, wanna go?"
You- Yup

Yea, lots of arm twisting goin on there. :wink:

Rusty

Oct 9, 2003
Central Fla.
Alafia...

Hey Chuck,
What campground are you gonna be staying at and what time do you plan to be there on Friday?

Rusty <><

Rusty

Oct 9, 2003
Central Fla.
campgrounds...

Yes Sir there sure are. Two of them in fact. The closest and the one I can vouch for would be Meddard Park. that is a county park, located on Turkey Creek Rd. aprox 1 mile south of Hwy 60. The next one would be the Alafia River State Park which is located on Hwy 39 aprox 7 miles south of where you'll be launching. The state park is pretty new so they have opened it up with a limited number of campsites. It looks like there's about 30 of them. You'll need to call to check on avalibility. I know Meddard takes reservations. It's also about 3 miles from my house. let me know if you need any help.
I don't have a a phone number for Meddard, but I just reached for a flyer for Alafia River State Park. The phone number I have for them is listed as 813-672-5119 for the Park ranger and 813-672-5057 for the ast. manager. The third number they list is 813-672-5132 but they don't say what it is.
My personal choice would be Meddard as it's a lot quieter, but that's me.

Sorry for rambling on so. I'm gulping some lunch before heading out for a Dr's apt.

On the way home I'll try to get a phone number for Meddard in case you need it.
Send me private e-mail if you need more detained infor if you like.

Rusty <><

(Rusty...I switched AOL programs and lost your e-mail address. Chuck ).

Pirogue

Chuck,
If'n you don't mind. E-mail me your cell #. I was going to drop in tomorrow night after work and the Ranger said I would need you to let me in.

I guess they lock up at dusk.

( I don't know how to say this but right out ..... I don't have a cell phone the wife took it away from me. ....Chuck.):?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I called the Springs and got with Tom .... He advised me at this time they have 40 campsites there and only TWO of them are taken.

I asked about Thursday and he said he did not expect a rush until Friday. With me getting there Thursday I should be able to get a good campsite.

E-mail me your contact number and I will call you with the gate code for that day.... Now how do I reverse the charges.....got to research that, darn always something to do.

The kid (Mary) just E-mailed me and wants to use my charge card to book a fight at the end of the year from Canada. I know who she wants down here for New Years...snicker, snicker and I would like to see him, I just enjoy his company.

Anyway the kayak is on the truck and it is packed and rearing to go. :D So am I.
Chuck.

Rusty

Oct 9, 2003
Central Fla.
Alafia

Way to go Chuck,
I just stopped byb the Medard camp office and they advise everything is on a first come first serve basis. I'll try to come by the springs after I pick up Jr. at school tomorrow around 3 PM.
If you want to prerun the river on Friday you might also check out alafia River canoe rentals and see what they can do for you as far as a shuttle goes.
Best directions from your place would be I-4 west to county line Rd. just west of Lakeland. go south to hwy 60. west to hwy 39, then south on 39 till you get to CR 640. Turn right on 640 about 5 miles you'll see Lithia Springs Rd on the left. The park is at the end of the road. See if that runs with what you have.
later,
Rusty <><

Darn close to what Map Quest gave me.....Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Well, two or three of the gang will be off into the greater wilds of Fla this weekend. One of our fearless leaders has taken up the gauntlet to win the river for the Forum.
By the by... since the "cats" away.... what will the mice do?
Good luck and ya'll be safe and hurry back to post the trips/race
swampy