Supper time vistor. | SouthernPaddler.com

Supper time vistor.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Down here we never know who or what is going to show up for supper , much less sit on the top of the umbrella in the back yard.

We have a mating pair of them that likes to roost in the pine tree in the back yard. They are getting tame or just use to us , will sit out there and let us get within 30 feet of them.

hawk%20001.jpg

hawk%20002.jpg

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
That's cool Chuck. A few years back when I lived in the old house there were a pair of Gouse hawks that nested in a big Sycamore tree. They raised two little ones and when they flew from the nest for the first time they landed in the old play ground behind the school. I took my lawn chair out under a tree and sat and watched those two for hours chasing grasshoppers and bugs. What a great feeling that was to be so close to them.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Great pix Chuck....looks like snowy owl feathers almost. Nice oranges too!

Had about a dozen white tail in the yard last night, no antlers, most have fallen off by now.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
Chuck......interesting, very interesting.......you set your hat down and a bird 'lights on it. That hat matches your good Leisure Suit, right?

piper

Piper
I have several leisure suits and all of them are in good shape except for the fact they have shrunk over the years , I haven't. :lol:

Jack , it is one of them hawks with feathers on it ,( Not from Studebaker/Packard Cars) we call them Marsh Hawks. :roll: Some folks call them Coopers Hawks.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBi ... _Hawk.html

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
We have Cooper Hawks here.....they seem to be darker than the Southern version.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Cooper's Hawks do sometimes feed around houses and bird feeders, but this doesn't seem to have the reddish banding on the chest of a Cooper's. I would go with the Commodore and say that it is probably the pale Florida subspecies of the Red Shouldered Hawk. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-shouldered_Hawk_dtl.html
The adult male Harrier (Marsh hawk) has a plain underside like that, but rarely perches higher than a low fencepost.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice cite, Jimmy. I noted : "... Although the American Crow often mobs the Red-shouldered Hawk, sometimes the relationship is not so one-sided. ..."

I watched some red-winged black birds going after an osprey one time on the Au Sable. I thought, "Enjoy it today, little fellows. One day soon, you'll be flying along all self-satisfied like, when all of a sudden, coming down out of the sun at about 60 miles an hour, something will hit your back and SMACK! you will go to birdy heaven."