Suwannee River - March 09 | SouthernPaddler.com

Suwannee River - March 09

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Bill Logan has written a book about paddling the Suwannee (as in "Way down upon the ..."). He invited me on a trip, and I just, couldn't pass up a once in a life-time opportunity. Here's a condensed version of what I seem to remember.

There was no snow in Michigan when I left, but I hit snow in Kentucky. WHAT'S THIS? I arrived at Spirit of the Suwannee campground, just north of Live Oak FL on Saturday afternoon. I spiked in a camp on the group site where the gaggle would coagulate the next day. WX was hot and sticky. I lazed around and talked with a few other campers in the area. Folks would wander over to see the wooden boat, and start talking.

On Sunday, Joe Fennell showed up, and we went to lunch. I came to know and appreciate his knowledge, intellect, and friendliness. Damned nice guy to camp with. When we got back from lunch, the rest of the gaggle had coagulated, so we got down to telling true stories.

Monday morning we put in, paddled about 8 miles, and commandeered a sand bar for camp. Harry McDonald (the Commodore) and his son "Ooter" were along; so was Van the cowboy, and Harry's constant companion (whose name, I'm ashamed to say, I cannot recall); Greg Fisher was there too, the youngest guy at 52; Bill Logan celebrated his birthday on the last day out.

After a couple days of diligently relaxing there, we moved another 7 or 9 miles down stream and spiked in another camp. We remained there until the last day when folks left. Joe & I remained one more day, reluctant to cut short a good vacation.

The camp days all run into one another, like ripples on a beach. We ate, drank, told stores, enjoyed camp fires, told more stores, and all learned from each other. We were all veterans, from WWII through Korea, Viet Nam, and Iraq. It was good to hear GI spoken again. We all like that part.

Bill, thanks for setting up the rip; I enjoyed it a lot. I would never - EVER - have had an opportunity to paddle that stretch of water otherwise.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yeah, I like the Svea 123. It is a simple, reliable piece of gear. I "enhanced" it with two lids from tin cans. A lid from a gallon can makes a nice base upon which to set the stove for more stability. A lid that is about 4" in diameter sitting between stove & pot, makes a nice way to just simmer a pot of liquid rather than boil it. Please do not copy this system of mine, as patents and copyrights are pending. ;=}}

Joe Fennell had along a Trangia with aluminum pans. First time I've ever seen a Trangia in action. Very well thought out. I could use one, if I didn't already have 30 or 40 other camp stoves. Were I to buy one, I'd probably spring for the anodized pans. I hate washing sticky stuff off pans. (can you spell L A Z Y ?)

I just ordered a 1/2 gallon Thermette for my Son's birthday. Only problem I see with the new "improved" version is, the handles are too small on the pot, and your knuckles keep rubbing up against a pot of boiling water. OUCH!

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Sure sounds like a good trip. Question! What stretch of the river did you guys run? I'm still trying to get on the Suwannee. The trip we tried to take, from the Music Camp" was washed out. We slept in the rain and the wind was so strong that we called it off. Too bad, but it only increased my desire to get on that river. I'm in shape now to do the entire 16 day full length trip this fall. Anyone interested? Al Dasen.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I have been interested fer some time. Been lookin' at Black Creek too. Mebbe both? I dont wanna paddle three days in a row, unless each stretch iz very short. The idea of 2 days at each stop come up on the Brazos. Everbody seemed ta like that plan. Mebbe two days at the first stop will charge up the batteries, so that ya stay 1 night at the next stop, then 2 nights agin at the next stop?

I dont wanna paddle the Suwannee 'er any other river when ya gotta drag yer boat. Up ta a point, a good current makes a trip fun.

regards
bearridge

Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can. Samuel Adams

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you start out at Lem Griffins Fish camp which is about a 1/4 mile from the sill in the Okefenokee you would run what I consider the pertest ( most Scenic) part of the river down to the Spirit of the Suwannee. Lem's is the highest part of the river you can launch at without going into the Okefenokee Swamp. You start in Georgia and paddle into Florida.

The river is higher then normal since they plan on closing some roads in the upper part of Florida because they got 15 inches of rain in a few days. Boy would big Shoals be a roaring right now , heck the camp site at the shoals is probably under water.
They are saying that portions of U.S. Highway 90 and I-10 might be closed because the Suwannee is just about to the bottom of them. Wednesday 253 roads and 23 bridges were closed. Might say the rivers are up. :roll:

Most of the Suwannee when it is at normal levels is some good paddling , plenty of sand bars (with trees) to camp on and a decent current in the river.

I checked Bill's web site about the river.... http://www.canoe-suwannee.com/ The river is at 73.31 right now and big Shoals is a class III rapid at 60 to 62 which is the best paddling level. Right now my bet is all the banks are over flowing and camping would be a hard thing to do unless you tied off to a tree and sleep in the canoe.

Keep an eye on the water level on Bills web site , he updates it each day. The Suwannee would be ripping and roaring right now.

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Right now you would float right over Big Shoals and not even know it :)
I agree that the further upriver you get, the better the trip is. Griffis fish camp to Fargo is incredible. Fargo to route six is very very nice. Rt 6 down to white springs is very good. Below white springs you start getting noise from I75 all the time and for me, that kinda ruins the trip. Below spirit of the suwannee there is to much boat traffic to suit me and once you get on down towards manatee springs the river gets too big.... All IMHO of course :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got this from Bill Yesterday........ He sent out a letter in response to the water level at this time. He is referring to a trip just a few weeks ago he and some of the guys went on..

Well, this morning the river is 74.7, which means it’s covering the Big Shoals campsites --- and the Shoals are moving like a fast freight -- where we camped the first night is under water, -- and -- the second campsite where we camped on that sand bar, is now 20 feet plus - under water – up top where I spent the day in the shade that day --- is probably less than a foot from the top where I sat. And --- the ramp where we pulled out --- the river is probably within roughly 6 feet from the top of the ramp.

We darn sure went at the exactly right time.

Bill

Chuck.