Suwannee River SP (Florida) | SouthernPaddler.com

Suwannee River SP (Florida)

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
This is the second leg of our vacation from back in June/July 2008, first part was 4 days at Little Talbot Island. Then on to Suwannee River SP for 6 days.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/suwanneeriver/default.cfm

So, after driving in the rain all the from just outside Jacksonville to Suwannee River SP, just past Live Oak, we got to the park right about 3:00. The rain was just a very light drizzle at that point, and was almost done.

There are 40 sites at the campground, all with elec & water. Campground seems to have had some major work done in the last year or two. Some handicap accessible sites, new bathrooms and such. There are also 6 cabins, playground, boat launch & lots of (marked) trails to wander.
We had site #29. Heres looking from the road.
P7060134.jpg

Thats the bathroom in the back of the picture. Did I mention that the bathrooms are air conditioned.
View from the bathroom area.
P7060136.jpg

The white travel trailer across the street, is on the site that "used" to be #29 back when I reserved the site (i reserved #29). That site and the campground host site (to its left) are the only ones on that side of the road in that area. Which is why I picked that one. When they re-did the camping area, they renumber the sites and #29 moved across the street and the one I wanted became #30. I thought something was odd, when we check in and they told me I was on the inside loop. I was thinking that there was no way I would have picked a site on the inside loop. But all in all the new #29 isn't that bad only had an adjoining site on one side.
The next day we put in at the campground ramp on the Suwannee River (SRSP boat launch in one of the following images).
P7010071.jpg

and paddled downstream.
Suwannee2.jpg

A little ways downstream the Withlacoochee River joins the Suwannee (Suawanacoochee Spring). The water of the Suwannee is tannic stained and the water of the Withlacoochee is crystal clear, you can see the dividing line between stain & clear very nicely where the two rivers meet.
Next picture is one of the springs that run into the Suwannee (could be Ellaville Spring or Falmouth Spring coming back above ground).
P7010074.jpg

Just a picture taken on the water.
P7010077.jpg

The water level on the Suwannee was very low at the time we were there. The gauge at White Springs was 50.6 during our stay. Bill Logan's very informative Suwannee River Paddling site http://www.canoe-suwannee.com/
says that the record low water level at White Springs gauge was 48.75.
About 1 mile or so down stream, started hearing running water.
P7010084.jpg

P7010087.jpg

P7010088.jpg

This would explain the lack of motor boats at the time. :lol: All the rain the day before was going down stream at the time, on our paddle back there was alot less water and these shoals looked noticeably different.
Couple of moving pictures of moving water for Bearridge.
First is my girl going thru.

Then me.

Couple more river pictures.
P7010099.jpg

P7010100.jpg

About 4 miles down stream we got to Anderson Spring, which was our lunch stop. You can make out the boil of the spring to the right of our boats.
P7010107.jpg

P7010105.jpg

And of course, being Florida in July, the afternoon skies darkened and we decide to turn around and head back to the campground, only after a quick swim.

DM
mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mike...

You had me there for a while , all I knew of was Big Shoals and then Little Shoals just down from there. Could not remember any more of them along the river.

Then the reason jumped up and slapped me , I always pull out at the Spirit of the Suwannee before I get to the Suwannee State Park. The boat ramp did not help matters it is the kissing cousin ( in looks ) to the one at the Spirit of the Suwannee.

We put in at Griffins Fish Camp ( To the east of Fargo , Ga ) which is about a 1/4 mile from the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge and go to the Spirit for a river trip. Makes for a good 5 or so days on the water and camping.

With the water level you had , Big Shoals would be a dry area of nothing but limestone baking in the sunlight , one portage area for sure , and little shoals should cause the same problem.

Dang ... Don't tell Jack we have rocks to paddle around or portage over here in Florida , we would never get him to move back north. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Chuck;
On the paddle from SRSP and Anderson Spring, we encountered 3-4 shoal areas. The first (all the pictures) was the biggest. With another foot or two of water, I doubt you would even know any were there.
We did stop by Stephen Foster SP and got a map to hike out and take a look at Big Shoals, but the ranger said that with the very low water levels, it was just a creek running thru the limestone rocks, nothing much to see. So we didn't bother.

According to what Ron says, Jack doesn't bother to paddle around rocks, and portaging over limestone rocks is no fun at all. (Withlacoochee post coming).

DM
mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
He sure would not paddle into or up on the Limestone , that stuff is like Razor Blades on the edges. I rank it right up there with Oysters and there shells. Might be why the Limestone is nothing more then fossilized prehistoric sea shells. :D
Like you said ... Neither are fun to walk on , a prudent person avoids either of them at any cost. Either in a boat or walking.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

Thanks. I heard there wuz rocks in the sunshine state. I enjoyed the videos a lot.

regards
bearridge

Charlie Allnut: How'd you like it?
Rose Sayer: Like it?
Charlie Allnut: White water rapids!
Rose Sayer: I never dreamed...
Charlie Allnut: I don't blame you for being scared - not one bit. Nobody with good sense ain't scared of white water...
Rose Sayer: I never dreamed that any mere physical experience could be so stimulating!