SGProgress.jpg

SGBow.jpg

So far so good! :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am a lousey picture taker but the boat is coming along really good. :D
Matt , thank's for posting the picture I sent you.

By the way she is 14.9 in length and only weighs 20 pounds at this time. I intend to add more weight to her but not a whole lot. :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
To answer some of your questions.........

The strips were cut out of left over wood, sanded and then cut to shape and epoxyed to the hull. I stapled each one to hold it in place while the epoxy cured. Then sanded on the top and epoxy saturated and covered with 2.30 oz fiberglass to seal and protect them from water, weather and wear & tear.

No stain was used just flipped over every other strip and since they are from the same wood the Swamp Girl is made from it is compatible with the over all look of the boat. This also helps to build up or reinforce the center of the boat since it is made from 1/8th inch wood.

The center line is nothing more then a piece of Pine lattice stripping 1 1/4 in wide and 1/4 in thich with the edges sanded and the rest is the fillet's I did with the glass bubbles , epoxy and some wood flour to match the color of the strip.

Pictures of the deck, bulkheads and the rest of my ideas will be furnished with the completed pictures of the Swamp Girl in about a week or so.. :D
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
David (kc4zvw on the forum) meet with me today and we took the Swamp Girl down to a local lake for a test paddle and pictures.

The Girl is very stable when you get in or out of her, no rocking or swaying like with a Pirogue just good and solid. I could stand up in her without any worry about flipping and doing some involuntary swimming.

With a canoe paddle she does want to move back and forth on you but not a lot, a corrective stroke takes care of that problem. With a kayak paddle it does the same thing till you get going and then she will follow a straight line and really scoots along.

We had a pretty good wind hitting us on the side of the lake where we were and this contributed to the problem but over on the lee side of the lake it was just easy paddling. The boat is rather fast compared to the energy used in paddling and on a river with the current with you it would be a blast to paddle.

One gentlemen out for a walk stopped and watched us and mentioned that about paddling her on a river with the current in your favor. I have to agree with him.

With my 205 pounds in her I did not use the 3 1/2 inches of water or what you thought the draft of her would be. My gustament is that I was using about 2 inches of water and to use a full 3 or 3Â 1/2 inches would require about 200 more pounds of camping gear. Anyway this was the conclusion David and I came to.

I had the seat in just behind the center line and the bow wanted to dig in to the water, when paddling her fast. By moving the seat back would correct this problem but I did not try it. Again we decided that if a person would place the heavy items in the stern area and the light camping items in the bow that would also correct the problem. Or add just a little more rocker to her.

It is simpler to just move the seat to the proper position and paddle from there since the seat is not attached to the boat. Anyone making her as a solo boat would need to paddle her and find the right spot before permanently attaching any seat.

Over all ...........the only problem was with the bow digging into the water but that is easy corrected. She is fast for the energy spent when paddling, good and solid .. does not want to flip on you and will turn in her own length and requires very little water to float her.
I think she is a fun boat to paddle and would be great for fishing out of.

By the way she did not sink which amassed both David and myself. Now if I grind off the V on the bow , add the glass window and drop the sides a few inches. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have the pictures being developed and David took a lot with his camera .. and will send them to Matt.
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sitting in the water (empty) she need's about a 1/4 inch.

With the camping gear in her (my heavy butt out of her) and if I have any shallows (Sand Bars) to pull her thru on this next trip it will be really easy to do.

Looking forward to the St.Mary's River trip. I am sure I have the right boat for that river run, with all of the tight turns and obstacles or should I say the fun things to get around, over and under.

I am packing light for that trip. Even if Steve did say that the water is up.
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I used (shake down cruse) the Swamp Girl on the St.Mary's Trip and it was a pleasure to paddle. The girl just scooted along while loaded down with my camping gear.

I was sure it would hit on a lot of logs and scrape the bottom up but it missed all of them and just drifted over them. With it full of camping gear and myself in it the draft was about 2 1/2 (or 3 at the most) inches which is darn shallow.

The seat offered some laid back paddling and comfort. I will post a full report a little later in the trips section but everything was easy, comfortable and just a good river run. By the was bearridge tried the Swamp Girl with a double paddle and he was flying, could have pulled a couple of water skiers, he was throwing a wake and it was against the current which was running really good. I have a video of him doing it just in case no one believes it.
By the way I used a single paddle for the trip but did have a double paddle along.

It was a lazy trip .... on the water around 9 or 9:30 , about every hour a break , lunch , more breaks then setting up camp around 2:00 or 2:30. :D

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

It aint a lie. After I wuz plum wore out (jest like when Texas Ranger Gus McRae wuz warshin' hiz long johns 'n tryin' ta git a poke off Miz Lorrie 'n Ole Blue Duck come up) I set off ta try out them boats the other fellas wuz paddlin'. Somehow it jest warnt rite that I had ta work so danged hard (paddlin' Big Red) ta stay a half mile behind.

Swampy's boat did purty good, so did the High Sheriffs. I offered Al a hunerd deposit ta take hiz boat off, but he wuz listenin' ta some other fella. I wuz kinda pooped anyway, so I reckon it wuz jest az well.

Aint no way I'd take any a them homemade boats down a river fulla rocks, but I went ta callin' Big Red anuther name.....one I caint say cuz a little pardner mite be readin'.

I like them little PEE-ROW boats. When Mister Sam Waltons store gits one, I mite put one on "layin' away". :wink:

regards.

bearridge

A

Anonymous

Nicely done Chuck

Well, we just checked out your pictures. Lovely little lady she is. Love the board work on the deck. Who'd a thought we had such talent on 1st Street in "Chuck-u-lota."

Diane and Christina

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Diane

It is nice to hear from an ole friend, not saying you are old, Just an ole friend, after all we are just youngster's at heart and enjoying life more each day ...

Folks this is a good friend of mine and she works wonders with kids .... She is an unsung hero, a teacher, and deserves all of the respect that is possable since I am sure she does not get the respect everyday.

I know there is no way I could do what she does but some folks on this forum do remind me of what she has to put up with everyday ... Names are with held to protect the guilty , sometime , myself included.

By the way Diane and her daughter (tina) are some paddling fools.... They can handle a canoe better then a lot of paddlers I know and Tina just had a beautiful baby boy, he has some of the brightest eyes I have ever seen and a smile that will not stop. With a smile like that I will bet he is thinking about paddling or at his age some ice cream. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK , don't grade this just take it for face value , cause if you would grade it I would flunk. My letter writting is something aufull and the spelling .... need I say more. :roll: It's the price I have to pay for being with all of these really great guy's on this forum .... We do have a few ladies on here and they try to add a lot of class. Can ya say Mission Impossable. :D
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt ....

We are famous......

I have to ask ... Where is the text and all of the information about the Swamp Girl for any inquiring minds, even a web link would be nice.

One of these years I just might get serious and build a really good looking boat.... :roll: :lol: :lol: Trust me on this .... when I have her out for a trip or just goofing off and someone sees her .... the questions do interfere with the time table on having some fun, Part of the fun (for me) is doing just that answering questions, especially since I am never in a hurry. Well sort of.

OK, at supper time I do sort of get in a hurry .... :oops: :lol: but everyone has to have something to look forward to. :D
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
975.00 and options are more for it..... WOW. I think I might have $250.00 in mine and it is 3 feet longer then there's and 8 pounds lighter at 32 while there's is 40.

Matt... I told you it was a good design and it looks like some Texans also thought so, or they would not thought of it. :D

Chuck.