swamp pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

swamp pirogue

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Friend Keith and I just finished this one

major01.jpg

major02.jpg

It's a 14 footer with a 24 " bottom made from two boards and a few scraps. One board was ripped in half for the sides and the other board made the bottom.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
bearridge said:
Friend tick,

Why the floor?

the curius
bearridge

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.  James Thurber

Friend Bear,
I'm going to give this one a go.
When you're limiting out on ducks, you don't want your dog's paws sore and infected from sitting in swamp water.

Lee

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Lee's right,

the floor is for dry feet, yours or the dogs also let's you walk from one end to the other without tripping on the ribs

back in the old days - damn i sound like my Dad - cypress boats were built and kept in the water, the wood swelled up and sealed the seams. When you wanted to use it, you bailed it out or pulled it up the bank and dumped it. Either way you never got all the water out

keith

it was a work boat back in the days. when you were crawfishing, walking around in your boat dumping fish from your net to the sack you would get water in the boat. when trapping, you would get mud on your feet. this would help to keep you from slipping and again water, thats why they call it the wetlands. and on the duck hunting , some times we will dump water into the bottom of the boat to stabilize it. later keith
p.s. its a traditional swamp pirogue, a log jumper.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Some of the guys I paddle with have done that in the bottom of there canoes to keep the gear out of the water.

Bill Logan is one of them that does that , plus he has one of his dogs with him on trips and it gives the pup a nice dry place to sit.
When I was a kid ( a long time ago ) I had some wood boats and the extra boards on the bottom were a part of the boat , would never dream of taking the boat out without the riser in there. Only difference is the riser was removable in the ones ( Skip Jacks) I have had. That was in the days of wood ( Cypress) and paint for the boat , fiberglass was not used back then. Plus the boat was only taken out of the water for a scraping and new paint. :lol:

It is nice to see a traditional boat from the older days again.

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
P

Friend Keith,

The beauty of y'alls boats cannot be argued. I do have one question.

None of the pics I have seen are up close and personal so I cannot tell just how you hold the seats in place.

Do you just glue/epoxy ? or are there some screws that we can't see ?

If ever i get the chance to head to the southern part of the state, I will be sure to ask for a "less than 2 hour" visit just to see what real boat builders work with.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
got a pretty good flare on the sides so the seats tend to wedge themselves between the sides.

remember we're not using 1/8" door skins here, so you can screw and glue the seats in from the sides or put a little cleat on the underside of the seat.

don't worry about the fingers, they just show up like that from time to time

be glad to anyone that wants to drop by

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
seedtick said:
don't worry about the fingers, they just show up like that from time to time
Well ya ought not to leave 'em layin' around like that. Some of them northern type folks (you know the kind I'm talkin' 'bout) might mistake 'em for shrimps and then they'd be missin' the next time ya needed 'em. :roll:

BTW, that's another really nice lookin' boat you and friend Keith have made. I'm jealous. 8)

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
for those that wanted to see some up close build pictures.........unfortunately, we never take enough, or the right kind. If anyone has a particular question, we'll try to answer or take a picture during the next build

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
IIRC about 110 pounds, it ain't made for totin' it's made for boatin'

come on down B C we'll happily give you a bag of sawdust and you can reassemble it back into a board.