Sweet & sour sauce | SouthernPaddler.com

Sweet & sour sauce

islandpiper

My landlord and friend, Mr. john Wong uses this sauce in his restaurant, Trey Yuen (Crystal Jade Garden) here in Hammond. Easy and tasty, use it on most anything that goes well with sweet & sour:

SWEET & SOUR SAUCE

Yield: 4 servings

2 tb Oil, peanut
2 ts Garlic, minced
2 ts Ginger, minced
1 c Water
1 c Vinegar
1 c Sugar
1 c Ketchup
2 tb Cornstarch
2 tb Water
1/2 ts Salt

Heat the oil in a wok and add garlic, ginger,
water, vinegar, sugar and ketchup.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add salt.

Add to the mixture in the wok and cook until
clear.

Serve hot, or cool and refrigerate for later use.
Reheat before serving over fish.

: Chefs The Wong Brothers, Trey Yuen
Restaurants

Cheers, piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good one. Keeping in the Chinese fashion, here's a simple recipe for egg drop soup. Can even make it in camp if you use powdered eggs!

Egg Drop Soup Serves 2
1 pint chicken broth (or use bouillon); 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch; 1/4 cup cold water; 2 eggs
Bring broth to boil; dissolve corn starch in cold water & stir into broth; back to a boil. Beat eggs in separate container & slowly pour into boiling broth, stirring only one direction.. Garnish w/ green onions, serve w/ Chinese noodles

islandpiper

Jack, egg drop soup......yum. Stir clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise over on Hairymicks side? or is it the other way around? The advantage to makeing this out in the wilderness someplace is the availability of bird's nests, just to dress it up a little, right?

I think the Brits make something like this, only theyk leave out the broth and the cornstarch, and don't beat the eggs.......drop 'em in gently and serve the little slippery buggers on toast.

I may have to jump that train someday and come up and practice some of these recipes in your kitchen, it looks bigger (and a helluva lot nicer) than mine.

Piper

islandpiper

Jack, or anyone else: looking for a good recipe for General Tsao's Chicken, want it like the buffets make it. Sesame Chicken is pretty close. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

One of the buffets here has a Coconut Chicken, deep fried in a light batter, then allwed to swim around a while in sweetened Coconut Milk........wow.

Piper (waiting with Chopsticks in hand)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The youngest daughter makes this General Tsao's Chicken and she got the recipe off the web.....

Chuck.

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup cornstarch
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
* 1/2 cup hot chicken broth
* 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (MSG)
* 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
* 1 egg
* 1 cup cornstarch
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups chopped green onions
* 16 chile peppers, sun-dried

1. Sauce: In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Mix together. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce and white wine vinegar. Then add chicken broth and monosodium glutamate and stir all together until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed.

2. In a separate bowl, combine chicken, 1/2 cup soy sauce and white pepper. Stir in egg. Add 1 cup cornstarch and stir until chicken is evenly coated. Add oil to help separate chicken pieces. Divide chicken into small quantities and deep fry at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until crispy. Drain on paper towels.

3. To Make Mixture: Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot. Add scallions and dried chile peppers and stir-fry briefly. Remove sauce from refrigerator and stir. Add sauce to wok. Then add fried chicken and cook until sauce thickens (add cornstarch or water as needed until sauce is as thick as you like it).

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Kayak Jack said:
My kitchen has Girl Scout cookie order forms in it now. I'm the cookie mommy for our Girl Scout Brownie troop.

Put me down for two boxes of thin mints and one box of the peanut butter sandwich cookies. :lol:

Chuck will pay you when he gets back from his camping trip.:wink:

DM