Table Saw Kickback - Warning Reminder | SouthernPaddler.com

Table Saw Kickback - Warning Reminder

Pirogue

Guys, I know in our haste, we tend to take some liberties with our power tools. Today I almost paid big.

I finished a project for my daughter today, and I have another little project waiting to finish, so while I was cleaning up, I figured I would quickly cut some panels before I put the table saw away. So, I was cutting my last 1/4 inch luan panel, about 9 x 13. As I passed it through the saw and the waste fell away, I lifted my right hand off the board before it cleared the blade.

Of course the board kicked back and the corner of the board nailed me just to the right of the family jewels. But it nailed the right boy enough for me to double over in pain. It has been a long time since I have taken a shot to the jumbly bits and this one hurt like the dickens. I am still feeling it up in my stomach.

To be honest, I am a bit concerned and will watch it and hopefully there is no damage inside.

But, I just wanted to bring this up because I could probably make a laundry list of procedures and basic safety items that I violated to get a simple task done quickly.

Moral: Slow down, think things through, and pay attention. We have a great hobby. Don't mess it up out of your own stupidity.

As an aside, I will post my recent projects in the gallery. And I will be starting my next boat as soon as I get done with this one little project.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yea pirogue we all or hopefully we all take safety at work serious . ( 0r for the ones that still work) :wink: :lol: :( i know the companys have come along ways in safety some still have aways to go. but yea we all seem to take short cuts at home for some reason? you can get hurt at home ,camping ,hunting or any other sport. we all need to read the manufactors warnings and follow them. i guess they may put them on things beacuse of some ones elses mistake that we learn from? :shock: :( a radial arm saw is dangerous too.

hope every thing down stairs is ok? plan on having any more kids? :( :mrgreen:

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I once was cutting a bunch of small pieces to glue up and turn (on a lathe) into a bowl. I didn't clear the table saw of the pieces as often as I should have and one of them was caught by the blade and slung into my sternum. Hurt like hell and I had a perfect 3/4" x 1 1/2" rectangular bruise on my chest for several days. I just glad it didn't hit an eye. It would have destroyed the eye. :shock:

Mike

Pirogue

catfish said:
yea pirogue we all or hopefully we all take safety at work serious . ( 0r for the ones that still work) :wink: :lol: :( i know the companys have come along ways in safety some still have aways to go. but yea we all seem to take short cuts at home for some reason?

You have a very good point. We drive safety at work, even have safety stand downs when a significant event happens. But, we loose this at home sometimes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I see a miniature, hand-held, circular saw by Dremel advertised. Like a Ginsu knife, it cuts through all materials, albeit they have to be thin for the small diameter blade to accommodate them.
Has anyone tried one of these? I'd think that, being a circular saw, it could still pinch and sling. Though, being small, maybe it would throw itself instead of the material?

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
In the shop I used to work in we would cut aluminum plate up to 1.5" thick! on a 5 hp. table saw with a 60 tooth carbide blade, two of us would push the plate while the third person would flood the cut with lube, I'de gotten nailed twice befor I learned to stand off to the side and push. Completely descintagrated several of the blade guards, and left deep gouges and carters in the cinder block walls, talk about pucker factor!

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
Kayak Jack said:
I see a miniature, hand-held, circular saw by Dremel advertised. Like a Ginsu knife, it cuts through all materials, albeit they have to be thin for the small diameter blade to accommodate them.
Has anyone tried one of these? I'd think that, being a circular saw, it could still pinch and sling. Though, being small, maybe it would throw itself instead of the material?

The saw blade of the dremel doesn't have enough mass, therefore build up enough momentum, that you couldn't hold it back (assuming you have a proper grip). If you have a small piece of material lightly held, I guess it could throw it, but anything more than a pound I doubt would move very much.