Tales from the LAND of GEEZERDOM | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the LAND of GEEZERDOM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Twas evenin in the jungle, and hobo fires were burnin,
When down the track came a man with a pack, singin of his yearnin.
He was singin of a land so far away - where the sun shines every day.
Oh, the buzzin of the bees in the cigarette trees, near the soda water fountain,
At the lemonade springs where the blue bird sings - on the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

The Land of Geezerdom isn a place you plan to invade, or even plan to visit. You just sorta wake up one day and find yourself there. “WOW! Where the heck am I?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Kayak Jack,

Its a good thing ya give up that job. Now ya got time fer the Big Rock Candy Mountain 'n more paddlin'. :mrgreen:

That little gal who haz been helpin' ya build them boats mite like this one?

I come from Alabama
With my banjo on my knee
I'm going to Louisiana,
My true love for to see

It rained all night
The day I left
The weather it was dry
The sun so hot,
I froze to death
Susanna, don't you cry

I bet it iz danged hard ta ride a horse frum Alabama ta Louisiana. I jest caint see how he done it with a banjo on hiz knee. Mebbe he wuz ridin' a train? It wuz 1847 'n a few years before I wuz born, but ridin' on a train, there aint no reason ta tote yer banjo on yer knee?

What makes a fella ride a horse that far with a banjo on hiz knee? He wuz gwine ta see hiz true love. A fella without hiz gal fer quite a spell kin act kinda strange. Ole Johnny Kennedy used ta tell how he would git a bad headache if he had ta go a long time tween "true love".

But then after a hoodoochie, it wuz bone dry? Then hiz gal went ta cryin' cuz the sun froze him ta death. That jest dont make no sense.

I figger she started cryin' when she seen him comin' with that banjo on hiz knee. I kin hear her cryin' out "oh no.....I didnt figger he'd ever find me down here in New Orleans!" :cry:

Nowadays we got medicine fer fellas like that.

Mebbe all he needed wuz some saltpeter? :wink:

regards,

bearridge
bodine school of musicodgerly

I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called 'brightness,' but it doesn't work. Gallager

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I always heard that the reason he had that durned banjo on his knee is because neither "hip" nor "waist" rhymed with "see" (as in "my true love for to see").

The oxymoronic environmental conditions were reputedly caused by his inverse philosophy towards gree-itz. He liked'em.

Only a Geezer in Training (GIT) would stoop to such depravity.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Honestly Bear .... I was not going to say anything but I was camping with that banjo picker (oldyaker) that night.

We left the area so it dried up and meet swampy down the line, naturally he brought the cold weather with him and pore ole Susanna only had her Southern Bell dress on ... no warm wraps so she was cold and crying ice cubes.

Don't any of you guys ever read between the lines .... Gezeeeeeeee. Do I have to learn ya everything. :roll:

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Jack, I have yet to make camp along side you. Your post above got right to me. Seems you have been with us in spirit, cause you have gathered the aroma of a Geezer's day/night out camping.

Maybe it's the release of having to work all week long and then settle down with guys and gals who love the out doors... and one more thing added to that.... someone to share it with.

That someone has to be able to put up with old farts with their minute by minute changes in body chemestry/ mood changing and empty coffee pots.

No matter how diverse a group of geezers get, they come together when it's time to share. Your right as rain there! Just try to pay for everyone's camp site .... dare to be first ..... next to impossible. One of these gentlemen has already beat ya to it! How? don't know ......

Wisdom .... a life time's search for some .... caught at camp fire's light for others.

Ya hit square on the head Jack!
Look foreword camping with ya some time soon!

swampy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Swampy,

Ya got all that cuz Truthful Jack sez Ole Steve Foster put that banjo on the fellas knee cuz "hip" 'n "waist" dont rhyme with "see"? I figger yer readin' way too much inta it. Nobody in hiz rite mind would wear a banjo on hiz hip, knee 'er waist on a long trip ta find hiz gal who run off ta New Orleans. :wink:

Ya sling a banjo on yer back! :D

Now what rhymes with "back"? :roll:

regards,

bearridge
bodine school of music

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. George Bernard Shaw

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
bearridge said:
Ya sling a banjo on yer back! :D

Now what rhymes with "back"? :roll:

regards,

bearridge
bodine school of music

Dern! :shock: I shoulda seen that!

".... with a banjo on me back,
cause I knew I'd have it rough when I seen Suzzie wit Jack!"

I kan't seek on LA gals..... taboo round hair ...... :wink:
swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Honestly Bear .... I was not going to say anything but I was camping with that banjo picker (oldyaker) that night.
Chuck.

Actually Chuck, I'm a butt and nose picker, my pick'n skills don't transfer to well to the banjo ..... :lol:

The Fly Fisherman's Guide to the Meaning of Life
On getting older: The key to enjoyment at fifty-five is the same as the key to enjoyment at fifteen: Do whatever you can do as well as you can, than try to do a little more_____but don't try to rewrite the record books. You probably can't, and it's not important anyway.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Swampy said:
Jack, I have yet to make camp along side you. Your post above got right to me. Seems you have been with us in spirit, cause you have gathered the aroma of a Geezer's day/night out camping. .... Ya hit square on the head Jack!...
Thanks, Swampus Complimenticus, I tried to write about what I saw in a mirror.