Tallulah River, Georgia | SouthernPaddler.com

Tallulah River, Georgia

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
The Tallulah River and the Chattooga River both empty into Lake Tugaloo which is on the Georgia and South Carolina line. The movie Deliverence was filmed on the Chattooga. This section of the Tallulah through the gorge now only has water released into it a few days each year. The rest of the time the water goes through a tunnel to a hydroelectric plant. Upstream of the gorge the river is mostly dammed into a series of lakes. The upper part of the river can be run after a rain, but is very dangerous with many undercut rocks and log strainers.
From Wikipedia:
a series of falls known as Tallulah Falls, drop a total of 150 meters or 500 feet in one mile (1.6 km). Tallulah Falls is actually composed of six separate falls: l'Eau d'Or (46 feet), Tempesta (76 feet), Hurricane (the tallest at 96 feet), Oceana (50 feet), the smooth "sliding rock" at Bridal Veil (17 feet) and Lovers Leap (16 feet).
Not recommended for dial-up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZHX3PIhcW4

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy,

They power folks 'n the park service started releases fer the kayakers a few years ago. This iz where the NOC stunt folks filmed Burt's slide....the one that tore up hiz leg in the movie.

regards
bearridge

Government, even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, and intolerable one. Thomas Paine

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Yes, as the licences for some of these dams come up for renewal, the whitewater people have been able to negotiate a few days of releases. Since the Tallulah, they were able to do the same thing on the Cheoah up near Joyce Kilmer. The Hiwassee below Apalachia Lake would probably be another good candidate for that as well as the upper Nantahala below Nantahala Lake, but I don't know when those licences expire.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy,

The NOC 'n others got Duke Power ta release some on the Upper Nanny, a bit more water on the Nanny...also James Jackson 'n others got releases on one fork of the Tuck which adds a heap ta the Tuck.

regards
bearridge

Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master. Unknown high school student

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Bear, I remember when the old flume busted on the Ocoee which made them release water there again. Paddlers going up there and spending money has had quite an effect on that area. I have run the Ocoee in my Bluehole. I never turned over, but decided that it was too much like work. The Nanny was more fun and much cleaner. Section Three of the Chattooga was also a favorite if the water wasn't too low or too high.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy,

My hat iz off ta anyone who kin paddle the Ocoee in any canoe. I rafted it once, paddled it a few times in a ducky 'n tried to study it every time I drove past it on our way to 'n frum the Nanny. I gave it a try one day in my Dagger Impulse. While puttin' on my wetsuit, Payson come in. I asked him which rapid wuz the worst sob 'n how ta run it. He looked kinda puzzled 'n sez "all of 'em wuz purty dang bad" 'n left.

Some kayakers I met up top (jest below Grumpy) sez ta follow 'em down if I didnt mind the slow pace...they aimed ta play their way downriver. That wuz fine with me til I got bored. My mind wandered off 'n the next I knew I wuz out in the middle of Gonzo Shoals by myownself. I blew out there twice cuz I wuz lookin' downriver ta see what wuz comin' instead of at what wuz rite in front of me. Got some bruises there.

Then I come upon some fellas jest above a bad sob. I tole one of 'em that I wuz kinda lost 'n asked what wuz next. He sez a purty bad one, so I asked him how ta cheat. A strange look come on hiz face. He sez there aint no good cheat route on this one, but way over ta the rite it wuz boney, but mebbe a bit eazier. After some bad paddlin' (in Gonzo Shoals) I done some of my best paddlin' ever. I got past that sob 'n past the roar where I asked what wuz next. This fella sez "some worse stuff 'n some ya caint cheat at all".

I didnt come in on a load a watermelons, so I figgered that wuz enuff. I pulled off 'n then hurt my back draggin' my boat uphill thru the woods. I found a 37" wide strip of asphalt where I wedged my canoe in. I sat there with the 18 wheelers so close I coulda touched 'em. My shuttle bunny had her camera downriver.....scairt that if she left, I'd come by. Thirty minutes later she give up 'n come a runnin'. I hurt my back some rasslin' my canoe over ta the side ta make room fer the pickup. There wuz enuff room ta git the pickup near bout off the road, so I had ta hurry loadin' my boat 'n hurt my back some more.

I reckon that wuz it fer me. I got ta see it 'n feel it 'n touch it....hard.

Our group always took out 'n toted our canoes round Bull Sluice, so I never gave it a try. I kinda regret that since at higher water levels I dont figger it would done more'n tighten up my arsehole. :wink: At the low levels when I paddled it, Decapitation Rock scairt the bejesus outta me.

I have an old Blue Hole, made in Sunbright, Tennessee. Dano iz keepin' it over in the Ozarks. I hope he will git some use out of it.

All this talk haz me wantin' ta paddle. I bet runnin' shuttle iz good therapy fer the stroke folks. :lol: :lol:

regards
bearridge

Everything in Los Angeles is too large, too loud and usually banal in concept . . . The plastic asshole of the world. William Faulkner

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
If Dano's keeping your Blue Hole Would you consider selling it? That is if he's not getting any use out of it.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Paul,

I keep thinkin' Miz Bear will paddle with me. It iz my only tandem boat. She haz paddled the Big Piney (Arkansaw), Nantahala 'n Tuckaseegee in a ducky 'er in a Yahoo (sit upon). Yer welcome ta use it when Dan aint usin' it. I dropped it off at Dan's house bout a year ago, but he aint paddled it yet. Hiz Mom haz had some hard times 'n Dan dont let hiz Mom down.

If ya want I'll wake him up 'n ya'll kin git together on the borrowin' part.

regards
bearridge

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland. Woody Allen

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Thanks BR Bear for the offer me and Dano ain't to far away. But sure as my luck runs I'd barrow it then have to buy you a new one better and fancier then yours one I poked a big hole in.
Paul

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
no sir....ya caint buy 'em no more cuz they dont make 'em no more. I jest figger it will be tied down good 'n ya run a chain 'er somethin' ta keep democrats frum runnin' off with it. Accidents on the river kin happen ta anyone. Besides, so far I aint seen no rapid in Missouri that kin punch a hole in a Blue Hole OCA. It iz a whitewater tank.

regards
bearridge

God is too big to fit into one religion. Robert A. Heinlein

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Paul
I saw a Blue Hole for sale on the Atlanta Craigslist a while back and a Google search just turned up this one for sell in Raleigh last month so you might be able to find one if you keep your eyes open. I bent mine up in Painted Rock rapid on the Chattooga. We were running the river at the lowest level that I ever ran it. I went over a small ledge then got the canoe wedged between two rocks and water was flowing in over the stern. I got out on the rocks and the current washed the canoe under a undercut rock where it was totally out of sight. I managed to get ahold of the rope tied onto one end and after about 2 hours of work and using a dead tree trunk about 6 inches thick and 10 or so feet long as a lever my friend and I finally got it out. One gunnell got pretty bent up. By the time we got it out, it was almost dark and when we got to Bull Sluice it was totally dark with no moon. We ran Bull Sluice without scouting in the dark. At that level, it was just a slide down the rocks.
Later, the top of an Oak tree fell on mine during a bad thunderstorm and creased the hull pretty bad. I bent it back into shape and still use it. It is ugly, but still useable. Bear is right about them being a tank.