Tampa- Hillsborough County Blueways | SouthernPaddler.com

Tampa- Hillsborough County Blueways

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

Ya'll done good...so far. Its some conservin' groups that pony up cash fer nature projects. Nature Conservancy comes to mind. There are some national canoe associations that mite have some spare change too. Sierra Club?

regards,

bearridge

Be gentle with the earth. Tenzin Gyatso

Pirogue

This is the text of my report on the second meeting of the Blueways Commitee. Jayb has it posted on Paddle Fishing.com

Wednesday night was the second public meeting of the Tampa-Hillsborough Blueways Planning Committee.

This time the participants know each other. Many have spent hour’s together, paddling and exploring waters, gathering information for the program. There was no uneasy silence this time. Folks are mingling and talking about their trips. You could see the new friendships growing.

Ken Kramer once again called the meeting to order. One of his main points was how overwhelmed he was with the response to the program. The first meeting had about 30 people in attendance. This time we have well over 40. Mary Helen Duke welcomed the new members and spoke about an article run on the front page of the Tampa Tribune regarding the Tampa-Hillsborough Blueways program. After the article ran, approximately 60 volunteers sign up in one capacity or another. In all, there are around 130 volunteers signed on.

Our first guest was Rebecca McGuire, Project Manager, Planning and Design for the Hillsborough County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department. She was discussing the status of the county boat ramp facilities. There were many ramps which the County has finished improving. Tampa Bypass Park was improved and also included ADA access. The Riverview Park ramp was rebuilt and resurfaced. At EG Simmons Park, the ramp was resurfaced, safety improvements were implemented and the County undertook their first dredging project by clearing out the channel to the bay.

This fall, there are many more projects to be undertaken. One of interest to the paddling community is located at Alderman’s Ford Park. The existing canoe launch is slated to be improved. But in my opinion, I think it is one of the nicer launches around.

And of course Cockroach Bay was mentioned. Cockroach, right now is in a “study and design phaseâ€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom

It might be worth the effort for a member of your group to check with the, Pirate Records at the Public Records Office in London England, for some more of the history concerning Cockroach Bay the Mounds and surrounding area.

The e-mail I sent you is just a small part of the history in that area....... There is a ton more.
As you see I did not, just, investigate the present day bandits but did go back a few more years.
One is a hobby the other was work. :D

Chuck.
PS.... Then there are the Spanish Records to check.