taping and filiting | SouthernPaddler.com

taping and filiting

thesandcruz

May 20, 2010
As the UJ pirogue plans dont discuss it in legnth and i am a blaringly green boat builder...can i build the boat before doing any fiberglassing or should i glass scarf joints as i go. For example, after i scarf and join the sides, should i proceed to attaching them to the stem before tapeing the joints?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
thesandcruz said:
As the UJ pirogue plans dont discuss it in legnth and i am a blaringly green boat builder...can i build the boat before doing any fiberglassing or should i glass scarf joints as i go. For example, after i scarf and join the sides, should i proceed to attaching them to the stem before tapeing the joints?

After the scarf joints are done , nice and secure , you could attach the sides to the end pieces.
If you have any worries about the joints you could glass them to play it safe. If you have secured the joints with epoxy there should not be a need to glass them.
Basically it is something you will have to decide since you are there looking at them.

When the sides are attached to the ends and the ribs are installed ..... Do yourself a big favor and run one strip along the top of the sides , a railing. ( I install the outside railing on mine ) The railing will help to form the boat but mainly it keeps the side from buckling if you pick the boat up without the bottom attached. If the sides buckle on you and they will without one railing , you can break one of the boats ribs , or a couple of them. After the bottom is attached that worry vanishes. The reason I say this is because a lot of the guys have moved there boat without the one railing on it while trying to attach the bottom and they have broken ribs on there boats.
You may still see a slight bulge in the sides but that will vanish when the other railing is attached.

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Once the side pieces are joined.If you wish to move them , take a couple of scrap pieces and clamp over the joint. The epoxied joint, although strong may crack if moved without support AT THIS TIME.

When the boat is complete, the joints will be stronger than the other parts.