Texas Weather | SouthernPaddler.com

Texas Weather

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Gday
Well I got a chance to really wring out the Freedom yesterday and do some comparisons.
I was paddling with a friend that just received his new wooden boat I have been looking at the hull it is similar to Freedom but more in style of a marathon boat.
It is really a nice rig
We went to a lake about 250 acres close to where I live tried fishing for a while but not much going on my friend went to the spillway where another lake comes into that one I decided to do some drift fishing as the wind had came up The Freedom is a pleasure I learned a lot about boat control drifting backwards the nose splits the waves well and even as it got rougher was a smooth ride
Caught a few fish and then storm blew in, was a steady downpour we were already wet so stayed out,there was no thunder are lightning. Rode the waves paddled into wind across it downwind Freedom was like a rock then we went to the spill way and played right below where water was coming in had a blast in the white water.
caught about 40 drum in the fast water and three 15 lbs carp .
Comparing the two boats side by side his was a hair lighter and just a little faster but not much and he had a good paddle and me with a cheap 20.00 dollar one he couldn't run of and leave me and stability was better in the freedom We paddled about ten miles caught some fish wind rain and white water then as we were paddling in to load water turned of slick as glass
what a day
Ron