The bow angle thing | SouthernPaddler.com

The bow angle thing

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I don't know what it's called, but on my UJ Pirogues he mentions 45 degree cut for the bow and stern. I know that an UJ style pirogue the flare and rocker are basically determined by the angle of the bow/stern.

I'm trying to build an outrigger canoe with zero rocker and zero no flare. Is there any reason to have the w/stern at an angle?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
so basically you're wanting a shoebox with pointed ends instead of squared off ends?

then no, you don't have to have any rake at all, Your stem piece can be completely vertical. With vertical sides and a vertical stempiece, you won't have any rocker

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
seedtick said:
then no, you don't have to have any rake at all, Your stem piece can be completely vertical. With vertical sides and a vertical stempiece, you won't have any rocker (emphasis added)
I'm willing to bet several very important body parts that it is geometrically possible, and doable, to have perfectly vertical stem ends and any amount of rocker you want. It is either a matter of the stem end angle OR shape of the sides. You can hold either one constant and vary the other. Or, vary both some.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
You're absolutely correct Jack

I was talking about a shoebox with rectangular, vertical sides and just bringing those sides into a vertical stempiece = no rocker

I agree that you can cuts arcs in the bottom of the side panel and create any amount of rocker - negative or positive for any given amount of side flare.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
You could also have a stem angle, and no rocker, by appropriately shaping the sides. Maybe one of ya'll basically already said that.

But could you have an angled stem and no flare?? I have a hard time visualizing what you would have to do to the sides to make that happen.

Vertical stems, no flare. That is going to be unusual looking. Which is fine!

George

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Picture it thusly. Start with a piece of Styrofoam that is larger than the finished boat will be. Cut away everything that doesn't look like a boat the way you want it. To help visualize planks, draw lines on the Styrofoam. There is your visualization.

To make a set of S&G plans "skin" the Styrofoam boat so that you have sheets one molecule thick, say 0.001", Lay them out on plywood and draw lines. Reduce these, by scale, to an 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper and you have boat plans. More or less. Then, generate assembly instructions.

Then, get plastic surgery so you're the handsomest guy around, and change your name to Matt.