The Cool Canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

The Cool Canoe

16Ft 6in powered by Minn Kota

The outriggers keep the top side pointing at the sky.
No problems standing to cast in this one

canoeoutrig.jpg

On the Brunswick River, Brunswick Heads, NSW, Australia
canoeoutrig2.jpg

I made new quick fit and release fittings for the outriggers. They used to be held on with U bolts. That meant doing up 8 wingnuts. It was a bit slow and rough on the fingers. Now it is fastened on in less that a minute.
outriggerfitting.jpg

The bolts going through the pipe aren't holding anything down, they just pass through holes in the metal mounting plate to correctly locate the outriggers and to stop fore & aft and side to side movement.
outriggerfitting2.jpg

This shows how stable the canoe is. Try sitting like this in a canoe without outriggers. The outriggers only go as deep as is needed at the time. I can actually stand with one foot in the canoe and the other on the outrigger.

(Have never tried standing on the outrigger alone properly as I keep falling of)
fishing_tweed_ben.jpg

My son 'Ben'. Photo taken on the Tweed River, NSW, Australia

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

If you will remember a while back there were a lot of questions about outriggers for canoes from the guy's.
Ferret might have the answer to any further questions about them, size, shape, the mounting of them, the weight, how a boat with them handles and paddles.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Many pontoons plow ahead all a the same level. Good ones should merely dip a toe, and then a foot if needed, aptly slicing the water all the while.

This means they will be of a slim cross-section, have lots of rocker, and be pretty as a pair of 34 D's in a sundress.

Hi Kayak Jack

No, there are no plans for the outriggers. I bought them from a local camping shop 'as is'. They work 'really' well. They "merely dip a toe" as you say. Very little drag. The canoe paddles and motors well and handles well in tight spots.

The new fastening setup that I made works well. Simple and the outriggers can't come off accidently but are quick and easy to fit and remove

John (Ferret)

JEM

That's a lot like the set up I want to do for the canoe I'm currently building.

It's 17' long and 30" so it'll tour well. It would actually be pretty stable as a fishing platform. But I'd like to be able to deploy the outriggers when I get to my spot so me and the kids can move about with our lines and not worry about it.