The Econ at the St.Johns Prairie | SouthernPaddler.com

The Econ at the St.Johns Prairie

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sorry about the size of this picture but I was trying something. If I enlarge it to 500 X 350 it gets distorted. :evil:

This is a picture of a picture of the Econ I have on my bedroom wall, it was taken with a film camera a few years ago when I was paddling all the way down to the St.Johns Prairie and this is just before you get to the prairie.

econ.jpg

Here are some more pictures of the Econ from my old web site including the original one of the above picture , but larger.

http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/DAD/ ... s/ECO4.JPG

A view of the upper Econ..........
http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/DAD/ ... s/ECO3.JPG

An Open area ..............
http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/DAD/ ... s/ECO2.JPG

The Palm Tree to paddle around
http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/DAD/ ... s/ECO1.JPG

A Texas Turtle or Armidillo , ya call.
http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/DAD/ ... idillo.jpg

One Wood Stork feeding........
http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/DAD/ ... s/BIRD.JPG

A expert Camp Robber
http://www.neilbank.com/oldsparkey/DAD/ ... s/COON.JPG

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
They hail from a generic spin off of animals called Bandits and are only found here in the United States.

In the Okefenokee at Floyd's Island the check in log has a lot of stories about Butch & Sundance and how they will raid anything that is not left 2 days travel back at the Rangers station and parking lot. Now there cousins will raid anything at the parking lot or the campground.
One time up there when we had a cabin, due to some really bad weather ... one of them tried his level best to help me get the cooler in side the cabin. :lol:

Then at Cravens Hammock (a full days paddle from the parking lot) there is one there called Coonzila that is known to throw canoes in the swamp to get to any food under them. You don't even want to know what he does to tents and campers. We had to store the coolers (this is where we keep all the food) in the porta john so they could not get to it. :shock:

Now if you want to be over run with those little crooks then do the 100 miles thru the Everglades and camp on any dry ground for campsites.... They actually march into your campsite, Drill Sergeant and all, and take it over. They are a little slower on the chickees but the water does not stop them from getting to the chickee ( a wooden platform with a roof over it for camping where there is NO dry ground) They actually ate /chewed a hole in the one cooler to get some Pitta Bread and it was between our two tents. :?

At Sebastian Inlet they opened a closed / locked cooler and stole all of my friends "T" Bone Steaks, Bacon and even got into the bait bucket that had the shrimp in it ... It was on top of the cab of the truck.
They ate really good that night, might say they had a Surf & Turf Dinner for them.... Surprised the heck out of me that they did not come back and get the bottle of Gin and olives for an after dinner martini. :roll:

After all of that .. I still like to see them, I would lot rather see them and know they are there then not see them and be ambushed. 1st thing I do at any campsite, if posable, is to look for tracks in the sand or mud. If there are a lot of tracks then I put the smelly goodies in my buddies tent ..... He is red eyed in the morning and I get a good nights sleep, excluding the time I am laughing my self to sleep. :wink:

Chuck.
When the folks lived in Wisconsin (My Uncle was a Game Warden) and he had a pet Coon & a non DE-scented Skunk, but that is another story. :shock: :oops: :?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
They actually ate /chewed a hole in the one cooler to get some Pitta Bread and it was between our two tents.
O Master of Flowbizness,

I sho hope Ole Coonzilla didnt git yer toe foo 'er yer Perrier. I know oldyaker would be mitey upset cuz he likes that stuff in hiz sphagetti. He learnt ta make that over ta the ole country....massachusetts. :mrgreen: :lol: :p

respectfully,
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
I know oldyaker would be mitey upset cuz he likes that stuff in hiz sphagetti.
respectfully,
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

Mix'n toefu and pasta :shock: hmmmm.... Be kinda like mix'n Swampy's coffee and cerviche...........ice cream topped with an anchovy garlic sauce, chocolate covered pickles. :?

If I did that, the ghost of the 'ol man would send two guy's with bent noses and ball bats to my door. They would pull my eyetalion credentials. Never fool with Madra Natura, it throws off her 'Feng Shui.' I alway's knew bearridge was twisted, probably from wearing checkerboard britches in the day's of his youth. Part of that 60's crowd...........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuckie - now I know what to get you for Christmas. Coupla Hav-A-Hart traps. Bait'em w/ shell corn or Russian sunflower seeds. Right above'em, post a recipe for baked raccoon. Them little buggars read at the 5th grade level, ya know!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
Them little buggars read at the 5th grade level, ya know!
Truthful Jack,

I had no idea they wuz that smart. :wink:

regards,
bearridge
bodine college

What ought to be done to the man who invented the celebrating of anniversaries? Mere killing would be too light. Mark Twain

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
oldsparkey said:
They actually ate /chewed a hole in the one cooler to get some Pitta Bread and it was between our two tents.
O Master of Flowbizness,

I sho hope Ole Coonzilla didnt git yer toe foo 'er yer Perrier. I know oldyaker would be mitey upset cuz he likes that stuff in hiz sphagetti. He learnt ta make that over ta the ole country....massachusetts.

Bear

Funny thing that you said that ... Here is a recipe that Oldyaker gave me and he said it was passed down thru his family for generations.... If you can believe him. :roll:

I was sworn to secrecy about this but it is just to good to not share with everyone.

Tofu Spaghetti Balls.*

Preheat your oven ... 350 degrees
Mix together:
1 Lb Tofu , Mashed
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup parsley , chopped
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp oregano

Spread an 8 x 8 pan with 2 Tbsp olive oil ........ Form the mixture into 16, 1-1/2 inch balls and arrange them in the pan. Bake about 30 minutes, turning carefully about every 10 minutes, until browned and set.
Serve them with a good Italian tomato sauce over some Spaghetti.

Oldyaker said this is really good with a Vanilla, Hazelnut Latte' Follow the meal up with some chocolate covered pickles for desert but only if you are pregnant. :oops:

Chuck.
*( Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler -- Rev. ed 1993 )