THE FIRST SNOW FALL OF THE WINTER | SouthernPaddler.com

THE FIRST SNOW FALL OF THE WINTER

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The first real snowfall, that is. We've had a dusting or two. Today it will be 8"-10". Snickering all the way to our Christmas party, (prime rib - oh boy! oh boy! OH BOY! , we go over the river snd through the woods in my all-wheel drive Subaru.

Over 60 years ago, I learned how to drive in snow and slippery conditions. Then, 20-30 years ago, along came front wheel drive (again - because it previously was a feature of Auburn, Cord, and Deusenberg cars) and I had to modify old techniques. Then, came anti-skid brakes (again, these were old technology, having been on aircraft 30 years and more). Anti-skid brakes do NOT want to be pumped, like we always did with older brakes.

All in all, about the only different technique used in the winter now, is to (1) go a little slower, and (2) maintain traction. The secret there is to not demand too much of your tires. You may have enough traction to either make a turn, or brake to slow down - but not enough to do both things at the same time. If you break traction - RE-ESTABLISH it immediately.

In the meantime, the trees are beautiful. And the snow is guaranteed to last throughout the night. sigh

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm glad someone is having a white and cold December. We will move back to AC weather tomorrow and for the rest of this weeks forecast.

It's hard to get into the holiday spirit when you are in shorts and the inside of the house is cooler then the outside.

To top it off the youngest daughter sent us some family pictures of them and the dog out playing in the Canadian snow. Looks like some of that snow made it down to Jacks area.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
My A/C has been on today also. The tempt. warmed up 12F. overnight last night. We needed a little relief after two nights of 37 and 38F.. I guess the cold would not be so bad if I did not know any better. :)
Bob

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Our A/C's are stored for the winter and won't be needed until mid June. We've had 24"+ of snow over the last 3 days, my son is 8 miles south and they had 36". Currently it is 25F and snowing lightly. Normally I would be excited but since I can't ski this year... maybe I'll spend some time in Florida with my stepmother this winter. Look out Chuck, the place will never be the same.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When you decide to visit down here bring some snow with you. It appears that Ma Nature will not let any snow travel south of the Mason Dixon line. Either that or Old Man Winter ( AKA . Kayak Jack ) is keeping all of it up there for himself. :?