The Kukri knife , my new toy. | SouthernPaddler.com

The Kukri knife , my new toy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well it finally arrived , ordered it on the 17th of February and it arrived here on the 8th of April. It is hand made and from the other side of the world , Nepal so I guess it is OK if it took some time traveling to get here. Customs in New York had it for almost a week before releasing it for the journey to Florida.

The blade is 8 1/4 inches long and has a 1/4 inch thickness on the back with a nice taper on the cutting side. The sheath is ballistic nylon and has a wood insert in it to house the knife and to keep from cutting the sheath. You can get them with a Water Buffalo hide for the sheath if you wanted to , just not with this model. This one is the Savior and from the Survival Series which are plain knives or working knives , not show pieces.

The handle is Water Buffalo horn and they carved finger groves in it along with a grove for the thumb on the left side. When you pick this knife up you know you have something in your hand. I sure feel sorry for any branches in the way of hanging the hammock or any bushes under it that would want to stick me.

The small knife would be good for cutting sting and small jobs. They did get a pretty good edge on it but I am going to hit it with a stone just to refine things a bit more.
They advise to apply a light coat of oil after use to keep the blade from rusting. :roll:

Main knife and the small one ........ http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/
kukra%20001.jpg

Blade and sheath
kukra%20002.jpg

Handle
kukra%20003.jpg

Knife and the handle showing the thumb slot
kukra%20004.jpg

Close up of the blade.........
kukra%20005.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
They put that there so when you are sharping it the stone does not go up and hit the hilt on the handle. It is there to stop the stone from going any further.
The front side of the notch is beveled and really sharp as it should be but the back side of it the blade is over 1/8th of an inch thick.

It took me a few licks with a sharping rod to have an edge on the blade that will shave paper.

As Jack said in the post I put up while waiting for this to get here. It will not be worth a hoot for spreading peanut butter or peeling potatoes but that is not what I got it for. I will take his word for it since he has one from the Philippians. :D :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
As I remember, Turkish guys carried the knife. If they drew it out, some blood had to be let. If you asked to see the knife and he drew it from the sheath, he'd use the little knife to cut either his or your finger to let blood.

Ah Jack, that would be 'Ghurkha' mate (from Nepal), not Turk. Mean little buggers well renowned for being deadly with those blades. The Poms were so impressed they promptly incorporated them into the British Army, "Jolly well rather have the vicious bastards with us as against, don't-cha-know"

Chuck, you'll enjoy using this around the camp sites. I’ve had one for a few years now and they're very useful and surprisingly versatile for a large blade. I use a combo tool or pocket knife for finer stuff, but the Kukri for most other cutting/chopping etc. Keep a damn good edge too....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Whirly said:
Chuck, you'll enjoy using this around the camp sites. I’ve had one for a few years now and they're very useful and surprisingly versatile for a large blade. I use a combo tool or pocket knife for finer stuff, but the Kukri for most other cutting/chopping etc. Keep a damn good edge too....

I'm figuring it would be a good camp knife and after looking at it , it should be a good firewood splitter. Put the blade on a piece of upright wood and smack the backside of the knife with a decent stick and that wood should be divided in half. No way I would hold that piece of wood and try to split it , one miscalculation and the fingers would be gone. As far as other uses for it , besides trimming branches and small bushes I am sure I will find a lot of things it can be used for.

Not the ones that the Ghurkas used it for.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If you get good at fencing, you could split some of those Floridian mosquitoes in mid air. If you're REALLY good, when they fall they'll be in a neat row. But, that kinda swordsmanship is rare nowadays, I suppose.

shannydez

Apr 11, 2012
U.K
oldsparkey,
i just wanted to know further if that type of knife can be used for cutting rubber or a leather perhaps.
since i'm looking for a kind knife to be use for cutting rubber and leather.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
shannydez said:
oldsparkey,
i just wanted to know further if that type of knife can be used for cutting rubber or a leather perhaps.
since i'm looking for a kind knife to be use for cutting rubber and leather.

It could but there are better knives for what you want to do. The Kukri has a thick blade and is designed more for heavy work , like chopping things.
Chuck.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Nice set Chuck. The pics aren't showing up for me but I found the knives on the website. I'm a fan of the Woodman's Pal. Mine has lived in my truck for close to 20 years and comes with me on kayak camping trips.

Attachments

• Woodmans Pal.PNG
    Woodmans Pal.PNG
    227.5 KB · Views: 541

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
texastorm.........

The pictures were on the old site and with a different server so when we switched over all of the ones I posted were lost.
That Woodsman Pal is a multi use tool for the woods. Heck after 20 years I'm not telling you anything new. ;)

Chuck.