The Ozarks Peace River Trip Reports. | SouthernPaddler.com

The Ozarks Peace River Trip Reports.

A

Anonymous

Friend Sparkey,

I figgered readin' bout paddlin' iz good when ya caint wet a paddle.

Jest so folks aint mixed up, the Peace River iz up in Canada. Fer some reason Dano seen it in the Ozark e-newspaper. [Dano likes flyfishin'.....near bout az much az Tom....'n canoeing the Buffalo which iz jest a few miles frum hiz home. I bet he'll drop by
purty soon.]

What else do ya'll do when ya caint paddle? How often do ya git ta paddle each year? I got a inquirin' mind jest wont quit....cuz it got ta rainin' outside a little while ago. Flowers and cotton bloomin'....tshirt weather this weekend, but snow fer Monday. :cry:

Mebbe Art frum Canada will stop by fer a while? He paddled up on Quetico 'n some more Canunk water. Reckon it wont be long before he wont have much else ta do.

Since campin' iz purty important round here, how often ya'll go campin'? Ever done it widout gwine canoeing?

I realize I aint joined up on this forum so I caint be in on no poll, but I reckon I kin ask a question, rite?

regards,

bearridge

A

Anonymous

bearridge said:
[ it got ta rainin' outside a little while ago. Flowers and cotton bloomin'....tshirt weather this weekend, but snow fer Monday]
It was 65 degrees on the bluff at 5AM this mornin' Bear. Now it's @ 32. I think the cold front got here. 'Sposed to get cold tonight. Sure hope the rain is over. 'Course Art would be in shorts and tee for balmy weather like this.

[Since campin' iz purty important round here, how often ya'll go campin'? Ever done it widout gwine canoeing?]
Winnie and I consider ourselves to be camping every day up here on the bluff. Occasionally we do it elsewhere just for a change of scenery. Now that winter is putting in an appearance is a good time to camp. This is when you can really appreciate a fire, a dry spot and a good sleeping bag. 'Course I don't 'spose the Florida crowd can understand that. Bet they could if I mention 'No Skeeters'! :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear

Sorry about the screw up but fer me that is just natural.... Thanks fer straightening it out for everyone. I need all of the help I can get. :lol:

Bout camping an not paddling .... The wife (mine) just told me she will be home for 4 days, straight .... The backpack and I will have to be on the Fla Trail for one night, might be another one thrown in, don't know till I get out there. ( I live about 100 yards from the central part of the trail and got me a favorite overnight spot on it)

For an overnight camp I use an old Kelty Red Wing Backpack (3,000 sq. in) Hammock , camp chair , bottled spirits , water and a good sandwich (Por Boy or Cuban) from the Publix Deli for supper with a bagel or two with some juice for breakfast, traveling light since it is just an overnight camp , less then 2 miles from the house.

NOW ........I aint going to miss turkey day by being in the woods. :?

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The guy on the Peace River never mentioned the word Goretex. Did say wool several times, though. I concur with the idea of buying an old livery canoe & ditching it at the end of the trip - particularly since it was aluminum.

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
Kayak Jack said:
The guy on the Peace River never mentioned the word Goretex. Did say wool several times, though. I concur with the idea of buying an old livery canoe & ditching it at the end of the trip - particularly since it was aluminum.

You mentioned the Au Sable river a couple of times. Have you ever checked out
the Platte river? I recall in the '70 making a trip down this river and ending in Lake Michigan.

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/platte.html

regards,

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dave,

I've never paddled the Platte, neither Michigan's nor Nebraska's. It seems to be a fine fishing stream, and is certainly in some prime territory. I've paddled the Boardman easterly of the Platte, going into Traverse City.

Any chance you might be heading this way again? Been about thirty years; it's time again. Bring along your that neighbor of yours, Chuckie-what's-his-name. Mr. Gritz