The St. Mary's River Trip.. Part 1 | SouthernPaddler.com

The St. Mary's River Trip.. Part 1

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We made the trip and got back in one piece, I think.

The famous paddlers on this trip are Harry McDonald (Harry) , O.R. Vanorman (Van) , Al Dasen (Al , Michstrip on the forum) , Joel Hunt ( Joe , Swampy on the forum) and my self.

I left the house and when I got up to SR 46 and about half way over to I-95 someone had kahuned (Hit) three, large, wild hogs on the road way, I looked for parts of the vehicle and did not see any, the hogs were a lost cause. What a way to start a trip.

Arrived at Folkston and decide to get a whopper at Burger King and then go over to Traders Hill and wait for swampy to arrive. It was cool out and something hot would taste good while waiting for him. Got the burger and went over to the hill ... as I pulled in the camping area I saw a guy and instantly knew it was swampy , no , not the vehicle, pirogue, or the Lazy Gator sign told me that but what did tell me was there he is making a pot of coffee on a Zip Stove.
We said our howdy's and set up camp, I offered to share my burger with him but all he wanted was a cup of hot coffee.

Swampy hung his hammock and since I drive a Dodge I just set up my bed in the back of the truck, Something that Chevy, truck, owners don't do...Ya Know.

After supper and night fell the ole moon came up as bright as a street light and the temperature started to fall as the moon got higher. We decide to hit the sack and check out our camping gear for the trip. It got rather cool that night and one person packed a 40 degree bag and not there 20 degree bag for the trip, won't say who. :roll:

In the morning after a breakfast of oatmeal bars, cocoa, hot tea and coffee we looked the place over, basically killing some time before going into town and getting a motel room for the night since the temp was going to go way down.

Went into town and had a real breakfast of grits, :D sausage and eggs the went shopping for a blanket ($5.00 at the dollar store) then got a room at the Day's Inn.

About mid afternoon Al arrived when he saw my truck and pirogue sitting out by the road to let them know which motel. Right after Al arrived I noticed Harry and Van drive by, we waited about 30 minutes and when they did not come back I drove over to traders Hill and they were setting up camp. Like Swampy and I they wanted to try out there camping gear before going on the river.

Swampy, Al and myself sat around the motel room talking about boats then Harry and Van dropped by for a visit and later then went back to the hill for the night.

Dec 8. This morning there is ICE on the vehicles and it is COLD. Harry & Van joined us for breakfast at the Family Restaurant and we had plenty to eat, Grits, eggs, sausage, toast, biscuits & gravy with plenty of hot coffee.
Off to Steve's at the Canoe Country Outpost for the ride over to the St.Mary's River and to drop the boats in for the paddle.
Stave took us over to the St.George area and we got everything loaded and ready for the trip. Said our good buy's & Thanks to Steve and off we go down river. (GPS for this location is 30 46.415 North and 82 01.642 West.)

Harry & Van are paddling together in a Grumman Canoe, Al is in one of the stripers he makes while Swampy and I are each paddling our own pirogues.

This part of the river is narrow & shallow with a lot of sand bars and trees down across and into the river. We had a lot of obstructions to go around or under which made the paddling slow but a lot of fun. The bottoms of the boats are taking a beating and it will be interesting to see how the epoxy & graphite mix on the bottom of my pirogue holds up.
The weather was just perfect a little cool but with a clear sky and plenty of sunlight to keep you just a little warm.
The river is shaded with Birch, Oak, Pine and other trees so we needed to stop at 3 PM to set up camp, relax, have supper before dark.
Harry had his lantern but when he took the cylinder off to repack it all of the gas leaked out. We did have that full moon and even a great campfire at night.
We set up camp at ( 30 33.472) and had made it about 1/8 Th. of the total trip. At this rate we are looking at 8 days for a 3 day run.

Al was using his tent while swampy and I each were using the hammocks , Harry& Van were Cowboy camping. Cowboy camping is when you put your bedroll out on a ground cloth and then sleep on the ground , now that is a very fast way to set up camp. The night was cool but not cold , just comfortable..

I fixed some bean soup and then a loaf of cornbread in the backpacker to go with it, swampy and I shared the soup with the cornbread on the side while the rest nibbled on slices of cornbread with what they cooked for supper. Hot soup and hot fresh cornbread on a cool night, what could be better, and it does get better.

Swampy got busy and before we knew what was happening I had a birthday cake, complements of Chef Swampy & it even gets better the next day of the trip.

NO JACK, swampy did not give me your present but he did give me a bottle of Crown Royal. What can I say Swampy has style. :p

A

Anonymous

Friend Sparkey,

I sho hated that tale come ta a end so quick, but I'll be checkin' fer day 2. Crown 'n cake.....um.....um.

Glad you fellas had a fine paddle. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
"Honey I'm Hoooooome!"
Shocking words to a sleepy wife.... Friday night and I have just driven 400 miles that started at 3pm. One stop for Micky Ds in Savanna and two stops for gas and here I am.
A hot shower and a ready "sac" I doze off to sleep and dream....
But the real dream started about a week ago.
Having had a grand time on this forum I finally had the exceptionally fine time in meeting our fearless leader... and I was excited..
I left out on Saturday the 6th for Trader's Hill, Ga. Good sun and good traffic and I made it to the camp at 13:15 hours. Empty. Only one truck camper ( a Dodge) but not Sparkey. I pulled out the Zip stove and fired it up with some 50/50 lite coffee from Maxwellhouse. I hear a truck coming down the small road and instantly know it's Chuck because of the pirogue atop the truck. I have seen it pictured many times on the forum. The man who got out wasn't bent over, nor aging as Kyak had mentioned... :shock:

AT 6 foot tall and standing proudly the gentelman got out and we shook hands. He presented me with Florida's finest grapefruit and a giant of a lemon. I told him what Kayak Jack had wanted me to give Chuck for his "B" day present and we agreed to pass over that one.... after all we had a week ahead of us and we may need to sleep securely with each other scared of the other.. :lol:
The night came up on us and we chattered for a spell. Chuck has and always will be thinking of new and different ideas to develop for boating and camping. I got into the Hennessey hammock and dozed off. Some frost on the pumpkin the next morning and after a snack we gathered our stuff and headed into town. Folkston is small, but cute in it's small town ways. We went to the resurant and had a grand meal at a very low price. Afterwards we shopped for the lowes price on rooms at the two motels located walking distance from the resturant. The Days Inn offered the best rate and chuck and I sprung for the lowest one. Pooling our resourses we got a very neat and clean two bed room with and get this ... a micro wave, a refrigerator, a Tv, hot water, lotz soap and towels... all for $28 apiece! We were smilling. About noon a Dodge van pulls up with a beautiful stripped canoe atop it. Out steps a gentelman who is tall and lean. "Michstripcanoe" offers a warm handshake to us and we all start talking and asking questions about the canoe. Al is modest about his accomplishment. He shows pictures of its construction and it keeps me on edge for the rest of the building of this boat. Its lines are curvy everywhere. The wood is beautifully marked... the workmanship is superb. Outside the rooms while Chuck and I smoke , another van with a canoe trailer passes on the highway in front. Chuck said he thought it was Van and Harry. After they didn't return to the motel, Chuck took off to Trader's Hill and found them. Later they came by and we met.
Very simple words but heavy in depth. These guys are not a typical bunch of guys who have met for the first time. Nor are they over bearing as they could have been given their years of experince on the trips and camps of many a venture. They are warm, friendly and instantly come off as guys ya wanna go on a trip with. It becomes apprant that I am the youngest "kid' there. I am called "JR" and with chuckles from all even moi.

Harry , third from left, will be 80 next June, Van next to him is 78 years young. These two will keep tears in your eyes from laughing with their zany stories and tales of yester years. They will paddle a Gumman canoe. Al, a youthfull 74 years young, of course will paddle his stripped canoe... I don't think I'd want to take such a pretty canoe out into harms way, but Al, is solid in his belief that the canoe is the best for the trip. I'll be judging the Lazy Gator with Chuck's for over all trip enjoyment and performance. Remember, Lazy Gator hasn't been in the water except for a small test time in a nearby creek. I have no idea how she will handle a load and manuver, and hold up to what lies ahead. And in fact, I have no idea what lays ahead, but this crew puts any fears aside as we are all bounded as crew members for a treck into the wilderness of Georgia's and Florida's river know as St Mary's River. The trip will begin in the morning. Chuck and I have bought a few items at the dollar store ( someone forgot to get a sleeping bag that was good for temps down to freezing... :roll: ) I won't say who.... but when he climbed out of that Dodge camper Sunday morning and was shaking as if he'd just finished an overland trail trip of 30 days length , you may guess who... :eek:
Sat& Sun
Tomorrow: Day one on the St Mary's
swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Great job guys!

Sounds like you all had a wonderful trip. Glad your back safe. I was blowing 6" of snow off my driveway the day you left on your trip! Am I jealous? Hell Yeah!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Whilst you suthners (except Brother Al Dasen) was freezin your hineys down there, I was driving along the Mighty Gitche Gumi, and through a helluva winter storm - 5 days long - in the upper penninsula of Michigan. Roads had on 1"-4" of sugar-snow, I was passing snow plows most of the way.

I'm glad you're home safely. Sounds like you guys had a helluva good time. I waved at you on the third bend, river right, but ya'll just snubbed me & wouldn't even look my way.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Chuckie. (kissee kisse huggie huggie)

Ain't it nice to be over 30!

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Jack! Snow storms?! Now that's mean traveling! You and Jim and all the others in that powder should be careful! We're nuts down here sleeping in winds and rain with temps down in the 30s, but even we know not to mess with Mother Nature when She's throwing snow at us! :shock:
Jack , we DID look for you all down the river. Chuck even asked the waitress in town Monday morning if she did pizza deliveries down at the river edge. She told us that she would if the money was right... which caused me to think of how much you said you'd charge to deliver..... :D
I'm thinkin now that her pizzas would have been warmer than yours. Your's would have had snow on them.... :lol: And then too, she looked a lot prettier than a guy from Michigan with a Santa hat on swigging scotch and laughing at us! :eek:
Now what's this about considering Al a northerner??? Al smiles to much to be thought of as a Yankee. The boy is in hog heaven down here.

Here is Al setting up his tent on the second night of the trip. He has just been told that he can stay in the South forever and not have to go into cold country ever again :roll:
Now when you get down here next spring....... :twisted:
swampy