The St.Mary's River Trip ...Part 4 and web links | SouthernPaddler.com

The St.Mary's River Trip ...Part 4 and web links

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Day 4, Dec 11,03 Thursday.

Yesterday we managed to cover 13/16 of the total trip and today it is a short distance of 3/16 to Traders Hill which is good because it will be a harder paddle and swampys back is getting to him, he said he knows it is there because it keeps reminding him, ouch.

We had breakfast and lots of hot beverages to warm up because of that cold fount that moved thru over night and is still moving through today.

Got camp broke and the canoes loaded and off for Traders Hill. Now we are paddling against the current and the wind in the wider part of the river. Swampy was having a hard time with the shorter canoe paddle so I asked him if he would like to try my overdrive motor for the pirogue, a kayak paddle. He was all smiles and when he got that kayak paddle ... that boy could have pulled a water skier with his pirogue, he really scooted along. With his back bothering him we stopped and took more breaks then before but we had decided to call Steve from Traders Hill and have him take us to his place to get the vehicles and then we would return to Traders Hill for the boats and since Van was riding with Harry he would stay with the boats and gear when we did that.

Even though it was a shorter paddle it still took about 5 hours to get to the hill and off the water because of the wind and water flow being against us. This is a pretty section of the river and rather wide but shallow with a lot of sand bars.

We arrived at Traders Hill and were a bunch of tired paddlers. We were also a rather motley looking crew, we were never really good looking but this time our pant legs had mud on then and not someone who looked like a person you would like to introduce to a friend of yours. We pulled in there were some folks there and darn if they didn't move away from us, my guess is that they just did not want anyone to see them there near us.

Al had Steve's phone number and Harry had his cell phone so he made to call and Harry said they would be there to give us a ride over to the Canoe Country Outpost in about 10 minutes. So we unloaded the boats and made individual piles of our stuff for later to pack in our respective vehicles. All this time no one else would even say hi to us much less even get near us.

About 10 minutes later here comes our ride............. A STRETCH LIMOUSINE, A Lincoln Town Car stretched out. The driver gets out .. Opens the doors for us and we hop in and off to Steve's place. You should have seen the looks on those people when that stretch limo pulled up for us.... HELL you should have seen the looks on our faces.

Steve was busy so his brother got the limo and came over to pick us up ... Now , I ask you......do the folks at the Canoe Country Outpost know how to run a canoe livery or what.

Does it get any better then this ...... YES .........it does and here is the answer.

The morning or the 8th of December ( the start of the trip) when we meet at the restaurant for breakfast and all of us are sitting there enjoying our chow and swapping canoeing tales, Harry asked ..... How many rivers have you guy's (Al, Swampy and myself) paddle together. We told him NONE he, could not believe it.
Harry said that he thought we were the best of friends and have paddled and camped together for a long time. Swampy told him ... that me did in one sense and that was over the web on southernpaddler and we only knew each other that way. This was our 1st time actually paddling & camping together.
I think that say's a lot for us on this nutty forum.

Anyone wanting to paddle the St.Mary's River I would strongly suggest that you contact the Canoe Country Outpost (Steve or his brother since the whole family helps out there) at http://www.canoecountryoutpost.com or toll free phone number of (866-845-4443 ) Reservations # at (904-845-7224)

Steve has RV sites available and secured parking for your vehicle while you are on the river, lots of good information and fishing supplies and best of all .....a lot of very friendly and pleasant service.

Snail mail for Steve is
Canoe Country Outpost
2818 Lake Hampton Rd
Hilliard , Fl 32046

You can also secure a river guide of the St.Mary's River from the St.Johns River Water Management District.
P.O. Box 1429
Palatka , Fl
32178-1429

Or http://www.sjrwmd.com or http://www.stmarysriver.org

Some of the items we used to make the trip very comfortable.

Number one has to Harry's invention.
He took an ole wood slated folding lawn chair and cut a hole in the seat, then attached a standard toilet seat in the hole. Ya talk about some comfort out in the woods and when mother nature calls it is great. Just dig a hole under the seat and as it is used some dirt is thrown back in over the dialey deposit.
The chair was always placed in a spot away from the camp but with a good view of the river. One of the guy's when using the chair saw a Bob Cat rather close to him, might of help him use the chair. The name is withheld to protect the user ...I know how you guy's think. :lol:

#2. A machete for cutting small brush when setting up the kitchen or clearing branches for the hammock's. It is also good for clearing a path under a fallen tree for the boats to go thru. Light weight and easy to carry in a canoe.

#3. A tarp for rain protection and to use as a comfort zone when cooking any meals.

#4. A folding table. This was the gathering spot at each camp and our kitchen, everything is on the table and in an arms reach for the cook or the hungry camper's.

#5 A folding camp chair ... it really feels good on the back after paddling all day .... Heck, Harry even had one with arm rests.

#6. A water jug with a spout so you can measure out the water for cooking or making coffee.

This is the fun of canoe camping .. You can have some luxuries with you.

Chuck.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Chuck/Swampy -- you kinda started this here, but is there anything else to elaborate on in terms of gear?

For instance ... Swampy, was this the first time with your Hennessey Hammock? What did you think of it? How well did it work (rain fly, etc.) when the winds and rain came up -- would you have been drier/more comfortable in a tent?

Did you take coolers? How big? What did you put in them?

When you packed your gear, was it in waterproof stuff-sacks or garbage bags? Was it you Swampy or was it Kahuna who said they pack their gear in large Tupperware bins. Just wondered how the packing worked out in terms of fitting in the boat .....

Swampy, you ended up with wet feet -- anything you could have done to prevent that?

Sorry for the 'zillion questions, but I love hearing feedback like this (and like what John Deppa had to say about his trip on what went right and what went wrong) .....

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Andy , I'll try to answer those questions. And they are all important as I have been re-evauluting them myself as far as gear goes.

For the sleeping bag, dry socks, undies, long underware I used the yellow dry bag from Walmart. AT around $25 it works well. I used it up north and our gear stayed dry in the back of the truck through wind, rain and snow. It has straps that chinch down on the front and sides. It also has two straps, padded to carry as a pack if need be.

I have an old ridged frame pack that carried my food ( in the top section) and "gear" used for what ever in the lower section. Four pockets carried 1) knife/fork/spoon set with pot holder
2) First aid/ snake kit
3) Snacks, hot coco mix and vienna weenies
4) The zipper on this one hung so I only carried an extra space blanket here.

A cooler that carried the Bake paker and pot ( 9"), meats ( dried or frozen), carrots, flour tortillias, eggs, and some packed drinks. NO ice.

My "blue jean" hip pack. This I used in the campsite where the hammock hung. I held what I used mostly or often. Camera, glasses ( extra pair), batterries ( AA) , GPS ( which I didn't use here), lighters, pens, and so forth. Not fully loaded but stuff you'd like to carry anyways...

This was the main gear and what held it. Al and Chuck had the small Tupperware type containers. They impressed me a lot with their low profile in the boats, and the amount they hauled. Everything was orginized and neat. Something that when carring packs won't do after un-loading several times . I'll be carring those next trip! The containers didn't go above the gunnels of their respective boats. Again, real neat items...

My feet... sigh... the second day we came upon a tree that had blown down across the river the full width. We traveled in a loose formation and with room inbetween each boat. But when a downfall crossed our paths, sometimes we'd bunch up. Now add in the swift current of the river, brush all about, and a very restricted area to manuver through and in my case not in the best position to "shoot" through the menace/downfall. On this particular site Van and Harry were number three craft through and I was 'waiting' over on one side for my turn. The river's flow kept me pushed up against brush from the tree. When they navigated through it was my turn. I had to paddle hard to get back into the current, the boat's control wasn't what I'd call great with its flat bottom and long length ( 16 foot). I was sweped into the low hanging branch and to keep some control I grabed the branch and immediately the boat went under ( first half) and cross current!
A word here on strainers in the rivers. Hydralics play all the parts in river paddling. The more instictive response when running into anything in front of you is to grab it and push. This is number one NO-NO !! What happens is that your in the boat-you push against the object-it has the univeral reaction to bring the forward edge up and the rear section DOWN! Now here is where river flow comes in and fills all that area exposed to the water... namely my boat. The correct way is to PULL towards the object and let the upstream flow push you towards the object/strainer... it's a balance act and one you don't want to do and keep from having to do. But here I was cross river to the current and I "dipped" just enough to collect some water. What i did when I realized that i was going to ship water was immediately lay flat in the boat!!!
I was pushed through by the current and in tact, but wet. The shoes got wet here.
My trip plan called for two pair of shoes. I left a pair of moccocins in the truck and carried my snake bite proof , 16" boots. At the next rest stop I left the shoes on but replaced my socks with a pair of hip wader socks. They are water proof and warm. My jeans were wet also but the socks kept even the lower parts of them from my legs. I was comfortable there on out. The next day I selected to keep the boots on and used my sweat pants covered by my rain suit pants. This did it for me for days 3 & 4 paddling. The shoes and pants never got dry as it rained day 3 and although clear day 4 it was windy and cooler. Sides we were heading to the "hill" and I had it made then. If this were a longer trip I would have used a "dry" day to get all gear back into shape.

The Hennessey Hammock.
This was thr really first time I used it in camp. I had put it up the day I got it ( next morning) and dozed in it for about 2 hrs. Later I tried it one night here at the house before thr trip to see how a foam pad and my sleeping bag would do in temps below 34 degrees. It worked well that night so i had confidence in it for the trip. When Chuck and I stayed at Trader's Hill on that Saturday night it got cold. I slept very good. On the rip along the river, I had great sleep and got more used to the hammock. In fact I actually laughed the Tuesday night durring the night at the way I was getting used to it. I could turn, 'jump' about and feel secure in it. Up til then i was what ya might say , "conditioned" to saty straight and not 'fuss' about. The main line over you has a small mesh bag with three sections. This held my head lamp and writting tablet, pen, and anything in my pockets from the day before paddling. Looking at the ground around me, I was glad to have something off the ground especially that rainy night of day 3. I also tried one thing that others can try and see if it works for them also. I cough and snort during the night. Saturday night I had cramps in my toes and one in my leg that Sunday morning. Chuck and I came up with an idea to have the head end higher than the foot end by several inches. So Monday night I did this. I found it very relaxing and confortable without restlessness setting in on me. Caution here though... to high and you'll scoot to the center!
One other thing i found out. If the main line isn't tight between the trees you'll have a space created between the bed and the fly. This will cause wind to lift the fly somewhat and that can spook ya when you also hear wild hogs yell'in across the river! :lol:
I really like this hammock and would ofer it to anyone who wants a solo tent and one that sleeps very good in any kind of terrain that has some trees in it. If any one has claustaphobia, I'd borrow one and see if it is too much of a confining place for them to sleep in. Those sides 'close' up to around your head if to far up into it. With the sides out staked , I never had that happen to me. I was warm as a tick on a hound's ass in it and the sleeping bag. My bag by the way is rated down to zero degrees F. I wore a 'pilots' hat for nighty nite comfort. But I won't go any further on what all i wore cause Oldyaker is listening and I don't want him worked up.... :lol:

Andy, be looking for some new gear Chuck and others are working on for the next trip!
Keep the dry to the sky ,
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Andrew

The Rubbermaid container is called the Action Packer and it is where I kept my food and stove. The dried food both the food from Adventure Foods (MS. Jeans) and the items I did were in a waterproof stuff sack inside the container. The rest of the space in the container had canned goods, crackers, bagels, snacks, all of the food & a single burner stove.

I use a small soft side cooler (6 pack) to carry the bakepacker , pots and pans in with spices, matches, can opener and the rest that is needed to actually cook a meal.

All of my bedroom items, hammock, sleeping bag, pad, long johns, blanket are carried in a rubberized upright waterproof bag I got from Cabels and it is called a Boundary Bag that can be sealed and is water proof. It is like the one Swampy uses ... the top rolls down and is sealed against any water. This type of bag is the only one I have used that is 100% waterproof and I don't want wet sleeping gear. After the hammock or tent is used then it does NOT go back in the bag because if you put something wet in a dry bag then everything eles gets wet. My sleeping bag is in a waterproof stuff sack when put back into the bag .....just for safety sake.

My clothing is in a waterproof duffle bag and again everything is in a stuff sack (waterproof) just for safety sake. The stuff sacks are colored so I know which bag has what in it. The duffle bags are NOT 100% waterproof which I found out on one trip down in the Glades. There was more water in them then in the canoe after 12 days of rain. It rained everyday all day long on that trip. :?

Even using a 40 degree sleeping bag (I grabbed the wrong one for this trip .. Should have taken the 20 degree bag) I was still warm and comfortable in the hammock, not toasty but comfortable.

The hammock is up off the ground so the ground moisture is not a factor like in a tent. You do get more ventilation but it can be controlled by the angle of the rain fly. The winds we had even blew the covers off Harry and he was cowboy camping on the ground so in the hammock there was even more wind hitting me and the rain fly was doing a dance most of the night. I still got a good nights sleep after getting use to the racket the rain fly was making and having to readjusting it several times.
The rest of the nights it was just pure comfort and a great nights sleep.

The clothing that is needed is determined by the weather but I will say the sweat suit did feel really good over my regular slacks. It differently was not shorts and "T" shirt weather.

Everything in the Rubbermaid container was cold due to the weather so a cooler was not needed.
Chuck.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Last follow-up (for me) ....

What stoves did you take, and how did they work? I think Chuck you were interested in how the ZIP stoves worked .... Swampy, did you take yours, and how did it work? I know I saw open fires, so I'm wodereing if your little stoves saw any action at all .......

thanks Guys!!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
The Rubbermaid container is called the Action Packer and it is where I kept my food and stove. (SNIP)
I've used the Rubbermaid Tuff Totes for about 12 years. Good if not portaging. I stack them up & lay the canoe on them. Use one as a bedside table in the tent. Damned squirrels chewed into a couple of them.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Mice and squirrels !!!! Got to be a way to stop em in their tracks!

Andy, yes , I did take my Zip stove. I tried to get it to burn longer than the usual time using small bits of wood. I bought a small bag of self lighting charcoal in Folkston Sunday and tried them. The first time i tried one coal brickett. Nothing... it lit off and burned but the amount of heat was pittiful. Next came two bricketts... got water up to "sipping" temp after about an hour... not good for a coffee hound such as I. Next the finial test was using three lumps. Not bad... not great either. The charcoal does extend the fire time and shows better performace when larger amounts are used. Here at home and after the Holidays, I plan to set four and more brickets burning. My goal is to have a hot cooking fire. Chuck's windscreen and the rizer hadn't come in yet so he left the Zip at home. He wrote me that the parts were waiting for him when he got home! His initial reports seem to favor the addition of these parts for a good and hot cooking fire.
Harry and Van had their bottled gas heater going and if I had something to heat up, usually a pot of water, I'd 'borrow' a bit of their heat. If memory serves me right I don't believe anything was cooked on the ground fires. Except maybe a 'tail' or two Wedsday night drying off. Anyone that would have paddled by then would have had the sight of a lifetime seeing them shake their "booties' over a three foot fire! :shock:
I backed far off... I think that was the night Chuck had bean soup! :shock:
I am looking at a second stove to carry when camp is made and time allows for a longer amount of time to cook. I found something out that hasn't happened to me and that was that drier lint failed to get kindling going. I carry those small sawdust and wax sticks that are sold in sporting good sections at all department stores. About 3/8" in diameter, I broke off about 1" of one and that would light off the kindling.
Chuck's Coleman stove was a hoot for quick and efficent heat. I'm weighing that one to pack also.
At www.campmor.com
Coleman Exponentâ„¢ Multi Fuel Stove
No. 85210
Price: $59.99
Remember , as far as carring anything extra to start a ground fire, you'll already have a lighter/matches to start up a fire. It's the finding of wood branches (dry) that presents some problems. The further we advanced into civilization from the backwoods, the harder it was to find dry material to burn at night. This is why you'd want to carry a nice , small stove to get dinner hot. Jack is working on a small metal frame to hold a fire to cook on. Let's see how his work fares for consideration on the trail.
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Jack has carried Coleman single burner camp stoves for over 35 years. EVERYTHING else is a substitute for the real thing. As Cap'n Merriweather said to me on the the morning of day 7, just out of St. Louis, he sez, sez he, "Jack. Git that DAMNED Coleman fired up - I'm hongry!"

I'll experiment (read "tinker") with the aluminum pyramid over the holidays.

Jack's Stire Farters
1. Muffin tin
2. One of the following: Chain saw shavings, wood shavings, splinters, shredded newspaper
3.Paraffin, (or left over candle stubs) melted in a double boiler
4. Combine the above. Making "muffins" of the wood stuff & pour hot paraffin around it.
5. Cut each muffin into quarters.
6. Use a knife to frazzle an edge for easier lighting.

But NONE of this stuff replaces laying a properly prepared fire base BEFORE you get out the matches.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Use a USED muffin pan from a yard sale! About twenty years ago i did this and I still get sideway evil glances when the subject comes up... I thought those stupid things would clean out good... :oops:
swampy

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
muffin tins

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Why not just use a tea-lite candle. They only cost about .03 cents if you buy a large bag. Plus, I have used them to heat water inside the tent for tea, oatmeal, grits :lol: , and Ramen. My new Esbit folding stove (measures about 3" X 4") worked fine on the last trip. Works MUCH better with the Esbit fuel pellets, but 2 tea-lites will do in a pinch.

C'mon guys, lets get out the old Cub Scout manual and (re)learn how to start a fire without artificial means.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
What was or is going thru my mind is to use the Coleman single burner when there is not any good fire wood for the Zip Stove or if I get rained in, which does not happen to me that much. :roll:

The Coleman (Multi-fuel) will burn/run on one full tank for 1 1/2 hours at full blast, which is not necessary, usually a very low setting is only needed. It weighs 21.6 oz while the Zip weighs only 16 oz and will burn the wood that is handy.

The weight of the Zip Stove will definitely off set the weight of taking extra fuel for the Coleman. :D For heating water and simple cooking the Zip will handle that to save the fuel for the Coleman.

This way a person has the best of both worlds and a hot supper every night when out in the woods.
Chuck

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy
I am not John but campmor has them along with the stove for them Item # 81290. It is a small stove , 3" by 4" x 1/4 when folded up and weighs about 3 1/2 oz. The fuel for it is some small solid tablets The stove costs $9.99 and a package of 12 pellets runs $5.99., each pellet weighs 1/2 oz.

Backpackers like them because they are really light weight and will cook the dried meals or camping meals. By the way one of the little beer can stoves works in it also but you have to make the stove, after you drink the beer.

Here is the link for the beer can stove http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/over ... tove.shtml it can also be made from coke cans. For more info go to the camping section and at the bottom of the page for Alcohol stoves you can make .... I have several links in there for them.

I used one of them on the Suwannee River for three of us doing a three day paddle and it worked really good. Took it to try it and it was all we used. :D Should of brought one on the St. Marys to show you.
Chuck.