The trip is now a plesant memory | SouthernPaddler.com

The trip is now a plesant memory

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
The sleeping bag has been washed, the clothes washed and dried and put up. The gear stowed in its proper place. Now I have some thoughts to consider.
The trip was great. But what makes a trip "great"?
Well like anything else it has to come together. Chuck got this in motion. The information came in and was given scrutiny by all. 3-4 days paddling on the St Mary's River on the Ga & Fla line. This was ideal for me. Next someone needs to co-ordinate this bunch of people into a fitting group that will have high hopes of a magnificent voyage. Chuck again picked up the mantel. He corrigraphed a venture to go to Ga and out fiddle the devil to have fun in the sun ( or that much of the trip he could promise sun) :wink: I packed for what i think was all sorts of contingencies. I wanted to see the river before we headed out. Chuck also wanted to go down there ( up there fer him) before we all hit the river. Weather was coming in on us and the temps didn't look warm at all.
I met the leader on Saturday afternoon. And I was pleased by this man who showed initiative to gather us together to paddle this river. Talk was among other subjects about the weather. All agreed that we'd take off as sheduled on Monday morning.
All smiles and excitement there after. Chuck made sure we kept pace for a 3-4 day outing. Trees and strainers and sandbanks were more abundant that any had seen on this river before. Experince playing here now... and I had none on this river. I listen to my elders and their wisdom of the river. The river's level was way down from previous experinces. We were to paddle a lot to accomplish goals set each day. We also wanted to be off the river before dark to set up camp and eat while there was still daylight. A very good idea. Both safe and comfortable. Chuck stayed on his GPS and always knew and reported where we were on the river. I found this very comforting and relied on his judgement there after. It's a good, warm feeling to know that someone else is guiding us through the formal obstacals ahead such as route and time scheduling for I hadn't a clue. I was along for the ride and I was enjoying it. The boat is my own thoughts. I got good recomendations and suggestions from some on the handling and paddling the Lazy Gator. All are appriciated but not all will be used, mainly my own to burn the thing when I got home.. :lol:
To me, I had selected a german shepard to run rabbits. When times got "trying" in the paddling of the boat others in the group would take time to let me catch up (all did this) and check on me. I thought this a great thing from strangers I had never knew before. I still do.
Camp sites were picked and agreed upon by all. When there were any problems all were in agreement. I like that too.
We got back on schedule and my back was glad of that! :lol:
We said our good byes and all went seperate ways.
Been home over a week now and rested up for the children to come home for the holidays. Some catch up work on the house from this past summer's work. Then this morning I took a break from loafing and watched the History Channel"s program on the Serria Mountain's snow history. Of couse the first accout was the Donner party. I guess we all know something about it but the fact that the "leader" was sent away from the party after it had split from the main group because of stabing a worker in the group proved fatal. A Mr Reed was sent packing and the group started to cross the remainer of the mountain. Snow started up in unusual amounts. No food and cold... well we know what happened. Then a man had gathered a group of rescuers when he didn't see the group make its waypoint at a fort. Before a small party from the group came to the fort he had a group ready to go out and get these lost souls. Need I tell you his name? Mr Reed found them.
I am a follower. I can lead at times, but I like to follow better. It's easier and more relaxing. Especially when others have gone over the ground we look foreward to travel. I will de-brief my own self after the trip and deside what was good or what may have been better. In this trip I have figgered a better type craft for me. But if ever I need to travel with another group may it be with men such as these on this trip. No one complained, and all had fun. I belong to the party. I understand the leadership responsabilities of that leader and unles my life is under question from that leader he or she will have my complete devotion. This will among other things make it better on the leaders nerves and thinking. And thus a better trip. I have opinions but like a**holes , everyone has one. Mine is my own. Ask me what it is and I will tell you. Offer yours and that opens the door for you to listen to mine. If kept friendly then we together can find an acceptable solution to the problem(s) ahead. I like that. It's called freedom. Force yourself on me and it'll be an uphill struggle. I will challenge somethings but that doesn't make me against the initial proposal, just a way for me to get a "slant" on the other ideas presented. If I order hot coffee from MacDonald's and if I drip some on my butt then it's me who allowed that to happen. Not Ronnald... but if Ronnal Mac Donald sliped up on me and poured hot coffee on my tush, then it's between Ronnie and me. I believe we all share this to some degree. All have feelings and out looks. When a diverse group take on a challenge ( a trip) one should answer for all. I think that social. When one has proven him/herself as a leader then all should know of it. It's the one's who call themselves a leader and have a bad track record behind them that will cause grief later on down the trail. I endorse Chuck as a leader. He's been proven. There are some I wouldn't go down a paved highway with them from all that I have heard of their tackless ventures. Put yourself in the group of Custard's when the scout said," Indians? What Indians?"
Yep! It was a fine trip and am looking foreward to many others.
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy

I have everything put up, cleaned and ready for another trip. BUT as Van said on the trip ... I am going to reevaluate what I took and leave the stuff home that I did not use ..... That is where I am at this time .... Checking and re checking on what was not used and why.

With any luck I will get my canoeing package down even lighter then before but have everything that is needed with me. I might even think like a backpacker and if it doesn't fit in the pack then it stays home.

Do they make a 10,000 sq inch pack ? :lol:

Guy's I have to tell you this.... This was the 1st run Swampy did with the pirogue and I could hear in the distance over the quiet river ... If KT was closer I would have her get my canoe for me. :lol:

My suggestion is this .... If you have not paddled a boat on a trip then use the one you really like and leave the new one home. Once on the water it is to late to change boats.
Then use the new one after you get use to it and have some water under it paddling around your area and not on a trip.
I am sure swampy would of been a lot happier in his canoe , especially having some back problems , ole friends (boats) are nice to have when you are hurting , you know how they respond to the paddle.
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Now Chuck You know you can't tell a hard head like myself that! It makes way to much sence! :lol:
I'm afraid I bent towards that shinny new boat... it was worth it! :wink:
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'd be as interested in what you guys plan to leave behind as what you plan to take. Last trip, I had to leave my sleeping bag at home to make room for the kitchen sink. (I plan to leave the disposal at home on the next trip. I didn't need to grind any garbage, as we later made stew.)

BTW, have you guys tuned into www.tabascofoodservice.com ? "YUM YUM, grandpa, whaatt's fer supper?"

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
And there was that high smelling chili spice!!!!
Kahuna would have been in hog heaven with that stuff!
I did forget my little "spice" set that Coghlan sells in little plastic sets.
swampy