thin ply and THIN ply. | SouthernPaddler.com

thin ply and THIN ply.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
OK, so I'm looking at this luan plywood, thinking, "my, now that IS thin!" But, I'm pretty much on-board with the thinking that it's just the good-looking center of a composite construction, the part that gives the boat beauty and form, with the strength being imparted by the layer of fg cloth and epoxy on both sides. . .

Or, as it has been said,
Think of it as a "P" Nut butter sandwich. The center is the tasty part and the bread on each side makes the sandwich.

I went to pick up some building supplies, and a sheet of PT plywood to fix up an old utility trailer, and the local store had luan! I seem to recall a newspaper ad that mentioned they had some 1/4" luan, but that didn't interest me. But the stuff I saw there was labeled "5.1 mm." It didn't look that thick to me, comparing it to what I remember the 3 mm sheets I just bought, but it had a beautiful grain pattern that I knew my wife would love. And it was only $8 a sheet, against the $12 a sheet I'd just paid for the 3 mm stuff! :shock:

I bought a sheet, thinking that maybe I'd use it just for the bottom panel. Now that she's seen it, I have to go back and get another 3 (or 4) sheets because she really loved the way it looked, more so than the sheets I'd already bought.

So, here's what's bothering me: The 3 mm material cost $12 a sheet, the 5.1 mm stuff that I measured to be more like 4 mm cost LESS. And as far as I can see, the difference in thickness is in the thickness of the outer veneers. The core looks to be the same thickness.

The thicker stuff doesn't feel as "whispy" or as flimsy as the thinner material, and it is a little heavier, but nowhere near as thick or heavy as the 1/4" CDX that my Pirogue is made of.

Does that sound right? The thinner, lighter plywood cost more than the thicker, heavier stuff? (Both are being sold as "luan," but in different stores.)

My measurements are not all that accurate, just used an old, cloth tape measure. I wonder if I when I go back to get more of the thicker, $8 sheets, if they'll let me remove a caliper from the "tools" section and take it over to the plywood stack to measure it? (Home Depot.)

In another thread, Mick gave this warning:

I thought I would be smart and i used 4mm hardwood bracing ply for the bottom panels and lighter, 3mm pine pl that I think is your luan for the sides. My reasoning was to achieve a stronder, tougher bottom.

DON'T DO THIS. what happens is that the lighter ply is not strong enough to force the heavier bottom panelsinto shape. use the same thicknes ply throughout the boat.

This, and the fact that my wife simply likes the looks of the grain on this thicker ply, is why I'm hesitant to use it for the bottom panel, and the thinner ply for the rest of the boat. I'm not so sure it applies here, as he was talking about two different species of wood, and a different hull design. (Freedom vs Swampgirl.) But I'll probably just get the additonal sheets of the thicker, 4mm (I think,) or 5.1 mm (they say,) just to keep her happy.

I don't handle confusion very well. Even though it is my natural state. :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

JEM

Much will have to do with the inner core. Ideally, the plies will be of equal thickness and all plies will be made of solid grained wood and not some composite wood filler.

If you can find a scrap piece, snap it to see how the inner core breaks. If it breaks clean like a cookie, I'd stay away from it.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Mike,

My quote was specifically aimed at a Swampgirl build.

Swampgirl is a very different boat with a very different build process to the Freedom.

In the Swampgirl, the flat bottom panels are tortured and twisted up in the ends to form a "V" "This is where I had the troubles. They didn't bend the same as the thinner side panels and the thinner side panels were not strong enough to force them to conform.

Freedom as a all flat bottom panel with no twists at all. The second panel is merely stitched on to it. i think the thicker stuff would work on a boat like the freedom and could probbly be a good idea.

I haven't seen the plans for a Freedom but from the pictures that I have seen, there is not much, if any twist in the stems of the second panels so you should not have too much trouble joind the two up.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Bald Cypress pretty much nailed it.
Don't forget, IF MOMMA AIN'T HAPPY, NOBODYS HAPPY.

With the two different thicknesses side-by-side, the only difference between them is the thickness of the outer veneers. I'll pick up the other sheets for her boat, in the AM, tomorrow.

That leaves me with the 10 sheets of the other stuff I already bought! Enough for my Southwind, and whatever I decide to build next! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL