Things are coming together! **FINISHED** Lots of pics | SouthernPaddler.com

Things are coming together! **FINISHED** Lots of pics

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Well tomorrow I will be assembling the side to the end stems and the shape of the boat will begin. I have finished all my Butt Joints and they look pretty good and the plexi glass trick worked excellent!

I have a few pictures and will post them soon...

Hopefully the butt joint won't crack :eek: Thanks for all the help!

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Well I have the ribs in and I will be putting the outer rails on it tomorrow and should be able to attach the bottom.

the boat end up at about 15' 6" on top of the stems which makes her look long and lean. But it should be fast to paddle and hopefully everything else will go together alright.

I'm taking pics as I go along but I don't want to post them until I fiberglass the bottom or finish the boat....don't want any bad juju coming to me

:shock:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
TradGlenn,

Great feeling, isn't it? Nothing like a new project to get the juices flowing1

Good luck with it and as you know by now, do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions about any of it! They guys here are just great. (A little weird at times, but great none the less.) :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
FlaMike said:
TradGlenn,

Great feeling, isn't it? Nothing like a new project to get the juices flowing1

Good luck with it and as you know by now, do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions about any of it! They guys here are just great. (A little weird at times, but great none the less.) :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

"A little weird at times,"
Why do they always underestimate us?

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Added the fiberglass to the outside today and that was a chore with the heat and the epoxy setting up fast.

Will lay the glass in the inside tomorrow which should be fun...NOT!

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
You're moving much faster than I did! Must not spend nearly as much time procrastinating as I did.

Looking good! :D

You mentioned adding FG to the outside, did you mean FG cloth (with epoxy,) covering the whole outside, or just FG tape on the seams?

I'm asking because I'm using 6 oz FG cloth on the outside, but just FG tape on the seams on the inside and 3 coats of epoxy on all the wood that isn't getting the FG cloth covering.

Oh, my graphite powder from Raka got here today! Listening to these guys has convinced me I want to join that "black bottom cult" of theirs. Very good protection for the bottom and it doesn't add very much at all to the cost.

Know what you mean about the heat! I'm working in my garage to keep the kitties out of the glue. It was almost unbearable until I decided to keep on my night shift orientation. Much cooler out there!

One good thing about all the rain we've been getting in my area is that if you must work in the garage during the day, the rain certainly helps keep the temps down.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Well having a month off also helps speed up the building process :D

Yeah I used 3.5 oz cloth on the outside and inside and used 6 oz for the joints and will add the 6 oz on top of the 3.5 oz to the stems to add a little more protection.

I may have to make a call tomorrow back at RAKA for some extra epoxy and graphite. I figure that I have this much time, sweat, tears and blood into this boat I might as well protect it.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I don't know if this will help you or not, seeing as you are building on a table.

I started mine on the garage floor. once the frames were set in, I moved the boat up onto a pair of sawhorses. One interesting thing about using those that I've found that is, if you move apart so that each one is within a foot or two of the ends of the boat, with the boat being right side up, you can turn the boat onto it's side, and it will stay there.

I know, not much in the way of a "revelation," but it sure makes it easy to prep the sides for glassing. (See page 5 of my build threat, the first picture near the top of the page.)

The further apart those saw horses are, the more stable the boat is when on it's side. Of course, I'd not do that without the rub rails already installed.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Boat is just about done!

The last coat of Graphite and Epoxy went on the bottom today and when that dries I will flip it back over to coat the decks and inwhales. The I will be coating it with a good varnish and might be able to take it out by the weekend.

I post some more pictures soon...

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
I'm gonna leave it glossy...I'm sick of sanding things!

:lol:

Went to the West Marine store in Crystal River today and picked up a can of the Z-Spar 1015.....for $29.99! :shock:

My boat project went from a $200 project to around $400 and I just hope the thing floats and paddles straight.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
TG, try to find a $400 plastic boat that's gonna turn heads like your pirogue will. Please post some pics, we really want to see your handy work.
Also you might want to wait a couple of weeks before varnishing to let the epoxy cure out. At least that's what I was told to do. It's been about 3 weeks so anyday now I'll get to sanding again and putting that expensive z spar on.

Good luck with the maiden voyage which sounds like it will be soon!

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I know just what you mean!

Realized I didn't have any clamps after I got started, off to Home Depot. Jigsaw goes TU in the middle of the night, off to the WalMart Super Store. Just went to pick up the hardware for the seats, came back with that and some read oak for the seat bases. Ran short of resin right when I'd just wetted-out the cloth on the sides & bottom, needed probably a pint more, ordered a gallon.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a "cheap" boat. (Well, some are cheaply made. . . )

Crystal River? Fairly well-stocked fly shop in that hotel, on the north side of town. Nice place, but a bit pricey. I much prefer the one further south, on the north side of Homosassa, "Outcast." The sales guy there is a dammed good guide from what I hear. Just talking to him in the shop is like a free fly fishing lesson.

Tomorrow, I'll be up at Roger's Park off Hwy. 50, on the Wikki Wachee. From what I recall, it looks like the perfect place to try out a new boat. If things are going real well and I can tear myself away from the place, I think I'll finish up there and go on out 50 to that public ramp and pier at the end, where the WW and the Mud River meet up and empty into the Gulf. Looks like pretty good fishing out there, might even turn up a scallop or two. (Taking the mask & fins, just in case.)

Might see you up that way, but only if you get a day off during the week. My "weekends" are Monday thru Thursday. Hope you can get it in the water soon! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL