Thinking about things | SouthernPaddler.com

Thinking about things

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thinking about things.......... General section about running a trap line and the pleasures of it. Got me to thinking :roll:

While I am going back into time and thinking about things ...... Has anyone ever used a cracker pole (Cane) with a short line on it and an artificial fly to get frogs?

Now how about anyone using an Air Rifle with a Scope out there at night spotting the frogs and zapping them like the poachers do with deer. NO , not a 22 rime fires that is dangerous and stupid... air rifles, quiet and just as deadly, for the frogs.

A while back, about 30 years ago, there was an article in a sporting goods magazine about using a 22 rime fire for this and I thought HOW STUPID...... use an air rifle, quieter and a darn site less dangerous for everyone but the frogs.

There is an ole saying about air rifles ..... 22 for fur.... 177 for feathers ..... I would like to add this .......................either for a frog leg supper.

Now naturally :roll: I have never done this and have no idea if a full moon really hurts this type of action and that the dark of the moon is a lot better, I am just thinking about the light situation during those times.

When I was using a gig the full moon was a nasty time to go out frogging and the dark of the moon was a lot better. The full moon would let them get away.

If I was using a Air Rifle with a scope on it then I could of nailed them before they knew anything and dove under the water getting away from me or the spear. 30 feet compaired to 9 feet.
Chuck.

Pirogue

I never used an air rifle on frogs. I did use a pool skimmer as a jai lai sesta in an empty pool with a frog once. But that is a story better told after a few drinks. Only then would it be funny. :roll:

Where were we?

Frogs, air rifles.

OK, focus

My mother in law had bird feeders and of course bird feeders bring out mice. We would use the air gun to pick off the little vermin. The father in law and I got pretty dead eye after a while. Good mindless target practice. :D

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

Jest like in that one bout the Field a Dreams, I built my feeder 'n them mice did come....'n then I shot 'em. I posted that link ta the recipe fer stir fry field mice, but I never had enuff ta fix 'n Miz Bear wont allow me ta freeze a mouse fer later................now that link dont work. :cry:

regards,

bearridge
bodine huntin' society

They was giving me ten thousand watts a day, you know, and I'm hot to trot! The next woman takes me on's gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars! Randall McMurphy

Aardvark

Couple Saturdays ago, my parnters boys were at the shop with us. Slow day so we broke out the bb guns and the high powered air rifles (BTDT on rabbits at 30 yards)

After the soda cans were all holed out, we started on the Palmetto bugs running around.

.177 flatnose pellet out of a scoped Diana 35 does them in good!

Shame about the winebottle in the case of the same that was in the way of the pellet after it went through the bug...

:oops: