This Boat is WAY Too Small | SouthernPaddler.com

This Boat is WAY Too Small

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My friend 'n former bizness partner in The Bird Store (our prices wuz "cheep"), Fount Ray, (Mister Barbecue who cooked til he give out) went out frog giggin' one nite with John Raymond. John Raymond tole me they wuz out in Ole River lake in a small john boat when snakes come at 'em on all sides. The snakes wuz hittin' the boat 'n tryin' ta climb in. They tried ta beat 'em off with paddles 'n whatever they had.

Fount Ray turnt off hiz lite off 'n tole John Raymond ta turn hiz off too....cuz the snakes wuz comin' fer the lites. John Raymond sez he done like Fount Ray tole him, but the sound of them snakes hittin' the boat 'n them paddles beatin' the sides ta keep 'em back nearly sent him ta the nervous hospital. Then he begun ta worry that Fount Ray weighed in at close ta 300 pounds (this wuz before him 'n Bo went ta Memphis ta git belly stapled). He tole us it wuz pure terror ta think that Fount Ray mite turn the boat over in the dark....rite inta a mess of snakes.

By 'n by the snakes give out. I reckon they went lookin' fer anuther flashlight. Fer me it woulda been time ta clean out my drawers.

regards
bearridge

Evolution is a bankrupt speculative philosophy, not a scientific fact. Only a spiritually bankrupt society could ever believe it. Only atheists could accept this Satanic theory. Jimmy Swaggart

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When we were on the Brazos, Ronnie kept telling me, "Don't paddle up under tree branches." So, I didn't. Until, the whole river narrowed down to about 20 ' wide - and all 20 feet was under trees.

Ronnie, somehow, managed to be in trial position that time. :!:

islandpiper

jack, actually, he was being nice.......the first boat through may be the best one, the last one gives the little reptiles a chance to think it over Sort of like snowmobiling, it is always the last guy in line that they pull out of the lake in July........yuck!

Maybe Ron has a good recipe for snake.

Less likely to have a snake IN your yak than IN my pirogue. Fewer places in your yak to carry and retrieve that 870, too.

Are there snakes in Texas? or are all of them busy running city government in Detroit and New Orleans?

Piper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Piper
Yea we got a bunch of both kinds here in Texas no leggs and two legged varmints, and I have had a few close calls .
Jack where we went under those trees the water was swift mr no shoulders don't like that.
I sure don,t like them
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
Ron, i always carry my 870 with 00-buckshot in my pirogue , just in case one of them snakes gets into the boat. I figure just one shot will do it.

What do you think?
I think yer a funny fella.....but looks aint everthin'. Jest kiddin'....6th grade wuz a good time. Mebbe ya oughta take a cork? Ta plug up the hole in yer head.....'er the holes ya make in yer boat? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Nut's ... I would not know what to do if I paddled someplace where there weren't any Snakes , Gators , Red Necks and all the rest of the fun things. Any nice warm day you will find all of them out sunning themselves in trees , on mud banks or in air boats.

They are just like me , leave them alone and there is no problem , corner them or step on them and you get bit. The greater majority of the time it is the persons fault that they end up in trouble , usually it happens when they get a case of the stupids. Or they try to show off for everyone , watch this Bubba. :lol:

The average paddler has no idea now many of those critters they paddle under or past on any given day. If anything the only one they really see are the Air Boats , it's hard to miss them. :roll:

Chuck.