this looks terrible | SouthernPaddler.com

this looks terrible

Scooter

This aint the worst of it. The whole thing looks that way. Guess I'm in for alotta sanding. :(

Got the bottom and three inches up the side glassed, and coated the exterior with epoxy. Glad to have that much done.

Guess I'll be painting it white or similar color that hides flaws. The joints/scarfs didn't turn out pretty enough to varnish.

hideous1.JPG

hideous2.JPG

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is the answer to your problem.......

Chesapeake Light Craft. http://www.clcboats.com/

Use this link http://www.clcboats.com/finish_hardware.php Then go down to this

Interlux Pre-Kote Primer

Prekote® is a unique under coater for use with Brightside® Polyurethaneor any one-part topside finish. Simply roll 2 coats on top of sandedepoxy, sand smooth and apply the Brightside® color of your choice.Folks who visit our shop often remark on the smooth paint finishes onour boats. One of our secrets is high build primer; it’s a thick,easily sanded primer that’s rolled onto the hull prior to painting.Much of the primer is sanded off, leaving all the scratches and dingsfilled and a very smooth surface.

If you sand down the outside so it is close to smooth , then use the pre-kote to fill in the voids , sand it nice and smooth then use some of there brightside paint over it and you will have a hull that looks like it came out of the showroom. No one will know the difference, leave the inside in natural wood if you want to and have the best of both worlds.

Chuck.

Scooter

Ah yes, hi-build primer, that's the ticket! 8)

My immediate concern is whether I should:
a)apply another coat of epoxy before this one cures
or
b)wait till it cures, sand it smooth, and apply more when it's warmer

Pretty sure it was too cool for the epoxy to spread properly. Hovered around 60 in my shop all day. I'm using Raka's slow hardener, so figure at these temps it should be a good 48 hours before it cures, at least.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Scooter,

I glassed right up to the outer rail which reduces the feathering needed for the edge of the glass. Looks like a sanding job to me. I waqited untill my messy epoxy was hard then used wet-and-dry with water.

It seemed to clear up the runs OK and feathered the edges of the glass where I had overlapped at the ends.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Paint it with a CAMOFLAGE DESIGN...It will look great!!!
KAHUNA
:D

Scooter said:
This aint the worst of it. The whole thing looks that way. Guess I'm in for alotta sanding. :(

Got the bottom and three inches up the side glassed, and coated the exterior with epoxy. Glad to have that much done.

Guess I'll be painting it white or similar color that hides flaws. The joints/scarfs didn't turn out pretty enough to varnish.

hideous1.JPG

hideous2.JPG

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
Scooter that lookes almost exactly like my first few boats. I fear you have a fair bit of sanding to do. The key on your next boat that I found out by the 3rd and 4th boat is more coats spread much thinner. Also only mix a lil at a time so you dont have to worry about it setting up before your finished spreading. You'll also have much less waste by the end of the project. Try using a squeegee or a bondo spreader for an applicator. It will let you use much less resin to cover a lot more area and avoid the drips and heavy spots.

I ended up sanding off a whole bunch of glass because I spread way to much resin on. There were areas that the glass floated up in the pools of resin and I had to sand away a lot of glass to get my mess smoothed out. Oh well you live and learn.

p.s. I tried to find pics of mine but it seems as though I cleverly disguised those problems with a good flash when I took the pics. :D

Scooter

Good thing is, I got no bubbles and the glass laid down nicely, fully soaking the wood underneath. Figure might as well apply another coat tomorrow evening if Im gonna be sanding my brains out sooner or later anyway. Still have some visible weave I don't wanna sand through. Temps in my shop should stay below 50, so hope it's not fully cured by tomorrow night.

Plan to turn my heater on and get the shop above 70 before applying, that way the epoxy should flow better and lay flatter. I hope.

God loves rookie boat builders. That's why he invented power sanders. :)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Carbide scraper, then a good random orbital sander with 40 grit then 60 then 80.
Too easy :D :D Couple of hours work.

I wouldn't put any more resin on till you clean that lot up.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Heck,

Aint any of ya'll married? Tell yer wife ta sand it. If ya dont have one, ya best learn ta paint better. :wink:

When Miz Bear 'n me drive up ta Caroliney we love ta drive thru Itawamba County 'n the Tammy Wynette Memorial Highroad. Ya bound ta come upon a fella standin' near the wheelbarrow showin' hiz wife where ta shovel the dirt. Ya kin always move down there 'n quit worrin' bout sandin'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One time I used that gooey stuff.....put grunge pads on the ends of my big, red sob. The goo ran jest like yours done. I didnt have my newer wife back then, so 20 years later it iz still like that. I never did see no difference in the paddlin'. :roll: :lol: 8)

regards
bearridge
bodine college
womens studies reward

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear. Herbert Agar

A

Anonymous

sanding

Scooter, hope i'm not to late with my $0 .02.

Do NOT atempt to sand until the epoxy has cured for a couple of days.

Trying to sand with "semi-cured epoxy will just waste good sanding disks. they will gum up almost immidiatly.

Wait a couple of days till the epoxy has cured and them it will sand most excellently.