This weekend cooking.... | SouthernPaddler.com

This weekend cooking....

JEM

It's getting cold out and I finally found a replacement lid for Grandma's old slow cooker. I've been using it every weekend since mid Sep.

I'm going to do a potato soup this weekend since I have a couple half-empty 5 pound potato bags, russets and reds.

I'm going to start with frying a pound of bacon. Hard to wrong with that start.In about 1/4 cup of leftover bacon grease, add flour and enough whole milk to make about 2 cup of gravy.

Finely chop a medium onion, 3-4 stalks of celery, a green pepper, 2 diced potatoes, and some garlic and put into the slow cooker. Add a 4-pack of chicken drum sticks (skin removed). Add enough water to just cover the drums.

Cook that chicken slow, remove it, debone, chop those bones in half, and put them back in the cooker. Slow cook on high the ingredients until those veges are limp. Probably about 3 hours. Let it cool a bit, remove the bones, then puree in the blender (this is so my kids will eat/drink the veges and it thickens the soup nicely with great flavor). Back in the slow cooker with 3-5 bullion cubes. Add tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro or get one of those tubes of cilantro in the vege section.

Add about 4-5 diced spuds and add water just to cover the spuds. Cook until them spuds start to get tender. Add 1 cup of gravy from before and some grated extra sharp cheddar. If it needs to be thicker, add the other cup of gravy. You can thicken more with instant mashed potatoes. Add the bacon, chopped up chicken meat, salt and pepper to taste.

Man I can't wait until Saturday!

JEM

I wouldn't have done it but it's a key ingredient in making a good stock. Didn't want to waste it.

I was going to take a pint (of the soup :wink: ) to work to let a coworker try, but that pot is EMPTY! It turned out really well. Tasted like a loaded baked potato.