thudpucker, pucker upper.....guy | SouthernPaddler.com

thudpucker, pucker upper.....guy

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Reading a post somewhere else I notice you are having issues with your tippy john boat. I got a suggestion for you. But in the mean time, I got something for you to drool over while you check out this other source I am about to provide for you. I fish a spon bow garvey and also use one for real shallow waters but have replaced the boat for a truck topper liteweight hull thats on the order of a Simmons Sea Skiff that I purposely designed and built in 12 foot. The interior all comes out and flips over for ease of storing and cartopping too. Every piece of gear has its place off the deck. Under the foward deck you can see the anchor chain too, which is stored under the bow deck and also allows the fuel tank, pfds, and even a some other gear when fishing and cruising keeping the entire deck space clean.
DSC04203.jpg

I built two models, one with a wider bow for storing foward and one for double seating that I take up the creeks with my wife to fish for trout and birdwatching.

DSC03502.jpg

DSC05408.jpg

DSC04533-1.jpg

DSC04030.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

DSC04036.jpg

Now check this site out. Its changed from the last time I visited the site. But he lives and writes for the newpaper A Newspaper Column for the St. Mary & Franklin Banner-Tribune
Roger Emile Stouff . Click on Wooden boat along the left side. His father built the bateaus down that way, way back when. He and i swapped mails and I have the plans for his boat but never built the boat.

http://www.native-waters.com/

dadboat1.jpeg

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Thanks, he is truely an amazing guy for sure in so many ways! His writings are what I would consider to be old school analogy of current events and reporting from a personal perspective or places his own words
in print. His time on the net ended up being cut short when his Mother was taken ill. He took great pride in his father's Bateau and wanted it placed on paper as a rememberance.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bilgerat said:
jdupre' said:
Well done, Oyster. I am curious about the inset transom arrangement. What is it's purpose?
Me, too. I've been trying to figure that out......

Mike

It's like the mullet boats the commercial folks use down here , the motor is set forward of the transom so it is a shallower draft for the out drive. Makes it shallower operating boat when using the motor while getting the fish.

The net slips off the transom without the motor causing any problem with the net if you are commercial fishing/netting before it was outlawed. Irregardless it still makes for a shallow draft boat when using a motor. Usually the motor was set forward a lot more then in the picture so there was a back deck or flat are for the nets to lay on before being put out.

Not sure about the rest of the country but that is what the guy's over here used when netting mullet in the old days.

Chuck.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
The boat design originated from the larger boats from this site.
http://www.simmonsseaskiff.com/

This history and over view is here.
http://www.simmonsseaskiff.com/SSS%20history/index.htm

Over the many years I have refurbished, rebuilt completely and also built new hulls of the simular stripe. As of the moment I am in the process of painting a new 22 footer, fully customed for pleasure now. I removed the bow deck from the original plans when building the hull and fabricated a custom walkthrough windshield out of solid mahogany. This allows extra seating as the boat will be a cocktail cruiser.

DSC04567.jpg

In the early days the boats were also used by commerical waterman with the motor a tad bit foward than the transom with a net platform behind the motor for the nets to rest. The boats are basically a square ended dory. They will run with small outboards and go in heavy surf with the rake of the transom and the narrow bottom with reserve boyancy because of the extreme flare sides.

I thought it would be cool to build a tender of the same stripe because small hulls are mostly tippy and low sided and used mainly for dinghies. I wanted a boat to replace my canoe and was just too tiring to go distances under row or in open water conditions that had much boat wake. So I reapportioned the small model that he built in the 18 footer to a 12 footer so me and my wife could travel distances in a stable small hull in remote places fully loaded with gear for the day. I can stand up and cast for trout and just basically stand up and steer with the tiller handle 6 hp motor.

I also wanted a portable boat too if I could not launch and retrieve from a boat trailer in an area or did not wish to tow a trailer any distance into a remote area. Then I just load up the make shift rack in the truck bed and flip the boat over and go. My wife and I easily load and unload the boat. The boat without gear weighs 161 lbs. The custom wood does add some weight but I got to have some glits and gingerbread on my boat.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Thanks guys for looking, Its been a lot of fun doing what I enjoy and do double dipping with mother nature at the same time with them. I saw Mr Pucker on another site talking about jon boats and thought of Roger's hull as a fit for his butt. :wink: So that was the original intent of the thread as there are several boats out there that meets his needs.