Today's Tiny Project. | SouthernPaddler.com

Today's Tiny Project.

Well after going through more types of hemostats, and other pliers than I would care to admit- I stumbled upon two pairs that work well for everything I can ask for for fishing work. Sure, I suppose that anything might do OK if one used the right tool for every job, but for me, I may start out removing a treble hook and end up trying to muscle through the innards of a once-perfectly fine Outboard motor with the same tool, before any standard trip is over. With that in mind, I picked up to R****a sets of the same tool. Both are stainless with fantastic handles, and absolutely no play in the joint area. Both have the stiffness to crimp lead shot, as well as steel leader crimps, and prove to cut wire easilly, as well as remove swallowed hooks with no trouble at all. The longer pair is in my big boat, and the smaller pair usually rides in my back pocket on lighter excursions. That being said, I have never been completely happy with that. I like things to be in a slightly more orderly fashion and prefer my pliers to ride in a sheath. Unfortunately, in two years- I've used most every brand and type of sheath and found them lacking. Most rely on a velcro'd band to secure them which gets in the way, and becomes less than secure after getting wet a few times, and sadly, gravity only holds things in place when they remain in the upright position.

Fast-forward to today, and I decided to put into action a little project that I've been tossing around in that vacant space between my ears. Since a picture is worth a thousand words and this is already long-winded enough, I'll let the photo do the talking for me. I have been screwing, lashing, and clipping this to most everything I own (including my kayak) all afternoon, and am very pleased that such a tiny little project will work so well for the way I do things. Yall have a good weekend.

FishPliersHolder.jpg