tofu Jerky | SouthernPaddler.com

tofu Jerky

islandpiper

Since Chuck is going to talk about tofu jerky, but to my knowledge hasn't posted a recipe yet, here is one you might llike to try:( http://www.recipesource.com)

Title: TOFU JERKY
Categories: Vegetables
Yield: 6 servings

1/2 c Soy sauce
3 tb To 4 tb liquid smoke
1/8 c Water
1 tb Onion powder
1 ts Garlic powder or
1 Clove crushed fresh garlic
1 tb Fresh ground black pepper
1 ts Honey
1 lb Firm or extra firm tofu

Cut and drain the tofu. I usually take a 1 lb cube, cut it in
half,and then slice it into strips on its short side. Strips should
be about 4-5 mm in thickness. They may look big, but they'll shrink
to about half their size.

Mix all the marinade ingredients together well. Put the tofu in a
single layer in a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet and pour the
marinade over it. Let soak for several hours or overnight.

Drain excess liquid (and reuse!) and dry tofu in food dehydrator or
warm (200 F) oven. This will take probably 4-8 hours, depending on
weather. If you live in a sunny, dry climate (Colorado in the
summer), you can sun dry it, it'll take all day.

If you dry indoors in the winter, your house gets filled with a
wonderful smoky smell. If you're drying in the oven, you'll need to
flip the tofu over hourly so it dries evenly. The stuff is delicious
and keeps indefinitely. Dry the stuff until it's very chewy, but not
crispy.

Be creative: Use low-sodium soy if you want less salt (it is rather
salty) Use tabasco or ground cayenne if you want it hot. Chili powder
makes chili jerky. Oregano and basil makes pizza jerky. From:
[email protected] (Mike Richichi)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
:D :D :D That was the last one I tried (have it written out on this pad in front of me) and then again with some modifications to it.... Not bad but it needed some more zing to it.. Used the Extra firm, it is better then the firm tofu.

Pipers spices .... I am thinking might help it and I am thinking a couple of beef bouillon cubes in the soaking sauce to give it a little beef flavor.. Always experimenting over here and one of these days I will get it right...... Just hope I remember what I did. :roll: In the mean while they are selling a lot of tofu to me ..... Darn happy it is on sale. :D

I am thinking about getting the tofu chunks (Crumbles) with the beef flavor already in them and doing a batch with them.... Grind them up, put them in a bag and squeeze it out in a strip, flatten it and dry it.

OR...... Add this or that, taste it and adjust things from there before mushing it together into a paste and drying it. :D This might be the answer.

Chuck

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
If you can't find tofu........you can use an old beach flip flop.......taste better with the beach shoe anyway.

Using tofu in jerky is like mixing scotch with ginger ale.
eck25.gif

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yakus Ancienticus, I like your soliloquy of the beach flip-flop. Just think, Chuckie will live a month longer eating tofu - just so he can eat more tofu.

Kinda makes suicide a bit more appealing, ehh?

Supermarket here had a contest. First prize was a week's worth of tofu. Second prize was two weeks worth of the stuff.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was in the grocery store today and now (I know all of you have been patiently waiting for this) they have tofu with herbs already mixed in it. YES.. Already mixed in ... isn't that GREAT.

Even BETTER new's.........They have some that has Cayenne Peppers, Red Peppers , Chili Peppers and more hot stuff alredy mixed in it. Isn't it wounderful how civilization is progressing with it's food. We are finally leaving the dark ages , what will they come up with next.

No luck on locating some sandals to make jerky out of, guess I will have to try Jacks jerky to see what they taste like.

After seeing what they are doing, it just amasses me, I was off to the meat counter for a couple of the big, thick, juicy steaks, some baking potatoes, one large sweet onion for supper tonight on the grill. Yep , a camping supper at home. :D

Chuck.
PS. No one would ever have scotch with ginger ale, why ruin the ginger ale.

arrondo

Sep 28, 2006
Seattle, Washington
oldsparkey said:
I am thinking about getting the tofu chunks (Crumbles) with the beef flavor already in them and doing a batch with them.... Grind them up, put them in a bag and squeeze it out in a strip, flatten it and dry it.
I have been known to eat and even (ahem) enjoy tofu from time to time. Asian-style stir fry being my favorite.

I haven't heard about crumbled tofu before, but I have heard of TVP, or Texturized Vegetable Protein. If what you're thinking about is the TVP, I have three words for you: AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! It is offensive in almost every way. The stuff would even tempt a Yankee to eat grits! :shock:

I say this not to give more ammo to Jack or Bears Buddy, but for the good of my fellow man...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
arrondo said:
I say this not to give more ammo to Jack or Bears Buddy, but for the good of my fellow man...

Never fear Jack and BB can't say anything.......

Jack likes the Ground Turkey, even makes jerky out of it and that is nothing more then an American substitute for tofu.

Last night we had turkey burgers and I added to the meat, Seasoned Bread crumbs, onion, sage and horseradish to make them have some flavor........ I could grind up some tofu and end up with the same thing. This way I could have the turkey the way it was meant to be, in a roaster, baking in the oven with dressing, potatoes and gravy. :D

Chuck.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Many years ago when I was a grad student I had no money and spent a while living on TVP - very cheap. I lost loads of weight.

It is a bit like shredded cardboard. If you add enought chilli powder and stock ubes it tastes like chillied stock cubes!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ya know, even that cracker Chuckie is too smart to really eat this stuff. He just waved it at us - like a red flag in front of a bull - and we charged. Now I'm so embarrassed, to ever think that he would actually imbibe in that stuff.

OHHhhhh the shame!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
"A well-dressed man approached a woman at a local health food store
and in a clipped British accent asked her exactly what she did with
the tofu in her basket. She said she normally puts it in the
refrigerator, looks at it for several weeks and then throws it
away. The man replied: "That's exactly what my wife does with it. I
was hoping you had a better recipe.""

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Yaker, better results with less expense:
Find a mud puddle.
With a small shovel scoop up contents and place in small loaf pans.
Refrigerate or freeze as desired.
Makes a much more flavorful and economical alternative to tofu.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Up above I mentioned I'd lived in Japan for 7 years. My observation was that they ate tofu as a meat substitute because they couldn't afford meat all the time. Wasn't eaten by choice; was eaten as a substitute.

And as far as the "Okinawan diet" is concerned, I lived there for 3 1/2 years. they ate less well than the homeland Japanese, and didn't live all that long either. A handful may have lived long, but no more than the Americans. Many died young too.

Hang on - if this diet fad is disappointing to you, another will come along tomorrow. In the meantime, butter and eggs are back on the health food list. enjoy what you were raised on. Avoid hot dogs and plain, white bread. Mom really DID know best after all.