Trail Cooking............. | SouthernPaddler.com

Trail Cooking.............

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Going camping , Canoeing or Hiking , how about an overnight bike ride where you will be camping and fixing meals to have. They cove everything from large meals to easy meals and in all sorts of different ones. :D

Here is a web site for simple to well thought out meals of the dehydrated style. Not the store bought ones but the ones you make at home with supplies you can locate at stores and web sites of even dehydrate the supplies yourself.

Click on the link and then on the recipes on there web site.
http://www.trailcooking.com/

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Thanks, OS! I'll be studying that site!

As I mentioned in my build thread, I just got a 10X12 Hex rain fly and I think It will turn my latest build into a handy little camper! I'll see what I can put to use from that web site. Then maybe I'll just have to finally head up YOUR way! :mrgreen:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Today I tried something different then using the zip lock bag to cook in. I am a little Leary about cooking stuff in a zip lock since it is plastic. It should be OK but I needed an excuse to try something different.

The different item for cooking is the 17 oz HydroFlask , Stainless Steel insulated food container. Total weight 13oz , 11oz without the lid.
I found one on Amazon for $21.00 including free shipping.

HydroFlask offers a 100 year guarantee or a life time guarantee , which ever one comes 1st , on there products. :D

http://www.hydroflask.com/products/hydr ... 7oz-medium
31Xwjm5YyWL._AA160_.jpg

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I mixed up a batch of the Breakfast Rice last night to have this morning.

Breakfast Rice

1⁄2 t cinnamon
Small pack of raisins
1/2 cup powdered milk
2 -1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup water (near boiling)......( for a thicker mix use less water 1/2 cup would of worked or better yet , 3/4 of a cup.)
1/2 cup instant rice
1/2 cup chopped Pecan or Walnuts ( I used Pecans )

Instructions
I pre mixed everything in a zip lock bag.
In the morning I put the ingredients in the insulated HydroFlask and added 1 cup of boiling water. Placed the top on the flask and enjoyed a glass of Orange Juice for 10 minutes while breakfast cooked in the HydroFlask.
After 10 minutes I unscrewed the top , got a spoon and had a hot meal.
It's simplified cooking , add boiling water and wait the proper amount of time and then eat. :D
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The 17 oz container is good for 1 cup of water to 1-1/2 at the most for rehydration. Any meals that would be rehydrated has to be prepared ( Pre Packaged by yourself ) for using that amount of liquid.

Out camping use the HydroFlask to do the dehydrated meals in and after eating then make a cup of coffee or tea in it to clean any left over food particles.
If you want to fix the hot beverage , put the top on and have it with your lunch as an additional treat without having to break out your cooking utensils. A cold day some Hot Chocolate sounds good.