Trapping Crayfish for Bait | SouthernPaddler.com

Trapping Crayfish for Bait

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I need some advice.

I know we have crayfish in the local reservoir (Lake Lanier), and I know bass and catfish both like to eat them (autopsies).

What's the best way to catch them for bait? Only time I've caught them is in streams and rivers, by turning over good sized rocks. That works ok, but I don't fish in rivers that often.

I see these crayfish traps at Wally World, about the size of a shoebox, one way in and no way out. I gather that you are supposed to bait them with fish parts and leave them a while...

How deep? In a creek channel, or just any old place? Some particular type of bottom...?

Any advice appreciated.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have a couple of traps and I place them just off from the main flow in a bay but so the scent is picked up and taken down river. My bait is a mesh bag ( small one ) with some corn or mash in it.

They say to use a can of dog food or cat food with some small holes in in for a slow release to attract the mud puppies.
The problem I have found it that Catfish pick up the scent and follow it up stream and you will only have cats around the area , eating everything.
As you might of guessed .........That works really good for baiting an area to catch cats..... Just make sure they can't get to it , a wire basket of some type stops that but not if a Gator wants it. :lol: A line to a bush helps to retrieve it if that Gator is not digesting it then the line will be limp and cut.

A few days with that in a deep hole will fill it with fish. Might be called a sick bird , ya know Ill-Eagle in some places.

Chuck

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
bearridge said:
crawfish taste 10x better'n bass 'er catfish..... [grin]

Reminds me of a bit by Larry the Cable Guy. He and his buddy were fishing for catfish using shrimp for bait. It struck him as funny that they were fishing for fish that cost $2.00 a pound with bait that costs $6.00 a pound. When his buddy asked him why he stopped fishing, Larry responded " We already got shrimp. I'll eat the dang bait." :roll:

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
jdupre' said:
bearridge said:
crawfish taste 10x better'n bass 'er catfish..... [grin]

Reminds me of a bit by Larry the Cable Guy. He and his buddy were fishing for catfish using shrimp for bait. It struck him as funny that they were fishing for fish that cost $2.00 a pound with bait that costs $6.00 a pound. When his buddy asked him why he stopped fishing, Larry responded " We already got shrimp. I'll eat the dang bait." :roll:

:lol: So true. Of course if you travel south where the shrimpers live they usually sell their DOA shrimp for a couple dollars a pound. Live shrimp, on the other hand, is $3.50 a dozen. :eek:

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Back when I had a boat big enough for the bays and near-shore, I'd just pull up along side a trawler and trade beer for live shrimp. Did that for eatin' shrimp, too! Ya can't get it any fresher than that! 8)

Mike

ggraham

Aug 8, 2009
gbinga said:
I need some advice.

I know we have crayfish in the local reservoir (Lake Lanier), and I know bass and catfish both like to eat them (autopsies).

What's the best way to catch them for bait? Only time I've caught them is in streams and rivers, by turning over good sized rocks. That works ok, but I don't fish in rivers that often.

I see these crayfish traps at Wally World, about the size of a shoebox, one way in and no way out. I gather that you are supposed to bait them with fish parts and leave them a while...

How deep? In a creek channel, or just any old place? Some particular type of bottom...?

Any advice appreciated.

George

Gents,
Here is a couple of pretty good sites on crayfishing.

I build my own traps similar to those shown.

I have caught as many as 15 to 20 per trap, a couple of days and I have plenty of bait and plenty to eat.

http://www.terrybullard.com

http://www.trapperarne.com

Also I attached a pic of some bugs I caught

ggraham

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I've had good luck placing the trap right on the rocky bottoms of the lakes and streams here in Iowa. I hang the bait, (usually cut fish, like bluegill) Place the trap(s) in evening, pull 'em in the morning.
Crayfish, (or crawdads as we call them up here), are great bait for every species of gamefish from bass to muskies.
Another option is a Rapella rattle crawdad.

Lee

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck got a question i see on here where you posted awhile back about baiting with corn and mash. do you recycle the left overs if its not all used up . (moonshine) :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: i suppose thats why the crawfish like it too? :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
chuck got a question i see on here where you posted awhile back about baiting with corn and mash. do you recycle the left overs if its not all used up . (moonshine) :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: i suppose thats why the crawfish like it too? :lol: :lol:

Makes then easier to catch since they can't swim in a straight line , plus they are so happy they never want to leave the trap. The other benefit is you do not need to cook them in any wine and it shortens the cooking time since they are half way stewed. :lol:

Chuck.