TRIBE WANTED - FIJI | SouthernPaddler.com

TRIBE WANTED - FIJI

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
I’m not sure if I am posting this under the appropriate category, but it is a kind of “tripâ€Â

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day John,
I don't know anything about this tribewanted mob but can tell you that the Fijian islands are one of the worlds jems. The people are friendly, peaceful and gentle (mostly) and serious crime is allmost non existent.

Fiji is a third world country made up of several indigenous races and tribal systems and most still cling to traditional values. The country has been heavily populated by people of Indian origin (still in the minority) who, with their business and political accumen have taken control of the government several times and also control most of the countries limited business ventures. This has often severely disadvantaged the indigenous population, (sound familiar?) who have little, to no idea in this regard.

These coups against the democratically? elected governmants of the day were brought about by the continued mis-treatment of the natives by these settlers and is their way of dealing with these foriegn usurpers.

Fiji is one of the safest places in the world for a westerner to visit and I wouldn't hesitate to go there. This tribewanted thing sounds like a scam to me and I would be careful.

I work and play with several people of Fijian descent and am very proud to call them my friends. The islands are a paddlers paradise and a vacation there, away from the major resorts is not expensive by any standards. These people live on practically no income and survive on what they cangrow or catch. They welcome westerners with open arms and view them as a very valuable way of supplementing their meagre income.. It is only the Indians that they don't like.

I would stay away from the Soloman Islands (just across the drain) these people are much less friendly, crime is rampant and the place is not safe for anybody.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Something like that I would want to see it before I did a darn thing. It could be a new version of the I have some ocean front property in Arizona and will let you have it at a steal.
Buyer Beware , none of our laws will protect your investment down there.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
He leased the island and does not own it..."O" BOY , that throws a whole different light on the matter.....

What happens if a year goes by and the owners decide to evict him , or some new government decides they don't want him there and hands him some walking papers. Then they take it over or just shut it down , neither would be good.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Fijian islanders are a highly ethical and moral race. They may well live in a third world country, but they are not a bunch of screaming zealots who will change the rules on a whim or financial advantage. IMHO

Australians have been visiting these islands in significant numbers for decades. It is one of our most popular overseas destinations. We have invested significant funds in the developement of the countries advancement and there have been Australian owned and run resorts and business ventures there for a similar length of time. All have experienced no problems that I am aware of during, or as a result of these coups. As I said, it is the Indians that the Fijians don't like.

If the locals are being treated fairly and equatably, there has never been a problem and these people have allways honoured committments they have made. I would be much more concerned with the ethics of this englishman than the islanders.

Mate, If you want to do Fiji on the cheap. just turn up there, go to one of the outer, less popular islands amd introduce your self to the villiagers. Ask them if you may stay with them for however long you wish and offer to pay them a fair and reasonable amount for the privelidge. Treat them with courtesy and respect and they will welcome you. Lots of Aussies do it all the time (did I mention we are cheap basterds :D ) and some stay for months or even years at a time. Many have wound up marrying Fijian girls and now live there permanently. Some only come home long enough to earn enough money to live on and as soon as they have enough, they go straight back.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick

It is not the islanders who is trying to make the big bucks it it that one person who has gone in there area and basically claiming it as his to make the $$$$$$.

His honesty would be what I question , he has to be in it for the money and nothing else and who or what he uses to do it does not matter. Anytime you find paradise then some scavenger that will eventually locate it and use that to there or his advantage.

A background check on his ethics , personal history and finances would be interesting reading. If he deposited the full amount of $90,000 for the lease , did he do it by himself , does he have backers , or did he put down a third of it or less with a note for the remaining two years.... there are a lot of unanswered questions.

The out islands with the indigous people would be nice and a lot safer , I smell a rat with that guy , sometimes I am wrong but not that often.
It does not really matter since I do not intend to deposit some of my cash with him , if I was to go there then it would be with someone who has been there for quite a while , like a native of the islands , not an investor who only has a three year lease. That is what scares me about the deal.

Get the money from everyone , book it solid and then get out...............

If something is to good to be true then it is usually not true and only $235.00 a year for each of the three years to be there for a week (7 days) of paradise........ There is a skunk in the wood pile. My bet is there is no refund if you change your mind. Just a $750.00 donation by everyone to him that signs up for the three years.

Yep , there is a skunk in the woodpile and it stinks of a get rich quick scram.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Chuck,

I agree with everything you just said mate. i smell a rat too.

If this pommy is indeed a rat and expoiting the islanders, then I would expect him to have some problems with them.

I haven't been to Fiji but have lots of mates who have. They all rave about the place and its people (indigenous) all who have spent some considerable time there, are scathing in their remarks about the way the Indians have manipulated the political and business systems there and the way the natives are being shamelessly exploited.

it is a lucky thing for the islanders that the vast majority of the countries miliary are manned by people indigenous to the country and who are prepared to step in when needed. IMHO

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Spending lots of time with the native girls of the outer islands is OK, so long as Charles Laughton isn't around yelling, "MISTAHH CHRISTIANNN!"

I spent a fair amount of time with (indigenous female-type personnel) on Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, Viet Nam, etc. etc.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Turns out that your negative thoughts about the founders of this scheme may be true. Look at this gem (pun intended) of a report:

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/265/68/

Apparently these guys are not new to this type of scam. If these allegations are true, I feel sorry for the Fijian people because it will reflect negatively on them, even though they are not to blame.

There were "first footers" (12 of them I think) on the island in September, and there has been a new group every week since then, but I cannot find even one first-hand report of their experience. The most recent videos don't show much (building) progress and the latest company report is rather short and without many photos? Glad I didn't get involved in this one!!! However, I still find Fiji as an interesting destination and may just do something like Hairymick suggests.

John

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
John, I'd say that by getting this thread started, and getting the info from Mick, that you fell into a pile of doggie doo doo and came out smelling like a rose! Outer island vahinies sound like a winner to me! Bring rum.